BrickWild

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 - MODs, Improvements, Attachments, etc

also....

The transmission for very high torque machinery (ie tractors) goes through a fixed axle + pendulum and is therefore more simple and robust.

Oh god, that crane arm is far much better than the official one, i am not sure why they didn't make it like this, but this would be a very cool mod.

This feels like 42009 all over again (but thankfully this time it's "only" the attachment) ... what the heck did LEGO do to this amazing crane arm as seen in the preliminary model!?

The final crane arm looks simply HORRIFYING compared to the preliminary one ... it was superb, what did LEGO do there!!!!???

24626818425_a50c056ac5_b.jpg

Edited by Emmi

This feels like 42009 all over again (but thankfully this time it's "only" the attachment) ... what the heck did LEGO do to this amazing crane arm as seen in the preliminary model!?

This:

127.jpg

For me final version looks like prototype when compared to prototype version.

I don't really get it ... Sariel should have asked the Technic designers why they changed perfect preliminary crane arm to ugly looking clusterfuck crane arm we have now?

I don't really get it ... Sariel should have asked the Technic designers why they changed perfect preliminary crane arm to ugly looking clusterfuck crane arm we have now?

Hmm, costs? Xerion itself looks to be built differently, maybe crane part count had to be cut down to have better tractor?

Hmm, costs? Xerion itself looks to be built differently, maybe crane part count had to be cut down to have better tractor?

Main tractor doesn't look that much different at first glance ... still it's a shame they changed superb looking crane arm to this shit, honestly!

Edited by Emmi

My guess is that the prelim arm is heavier than the official one, to the extent that it can bend some liftarms or wheelie the whole tractor if the outriggers aren't lowered.

What with the battery box in the front? I doubt it. Like others here said, i think it was a cost-cutting issue. Good thing that cost cutting was applied on the attachment and not on the tractor itself.

Edited by Gabi_BC

Don't forget, the designers have to think about the B-model simultaneously. This means, that the development and design of the B-model has an effect on the A-model.

They need to replace parts, and re-think some solutions. This is also a very strong driving factor, especially here, where they only use the parts of the crane for the "B-model".

For standard sets usually they can use all the parts + some spare ones.

One thing that has "surprised" me on this model (coming from a farming background) there are so many great technical options for farm machinery; from simple reversible ploughs, hay balers , cultivators, harrows, hedge cutters, rotary and reciprocating hay/silage cutters, etc ..... why a crane (even a good one)! eh, not seen a crane on a farm, usually you just pick up the logs on the front end loader. I also will be additionally MOCing the 3-point linkage - it is just not right; but the model itself is just beautiful.

I am sure that the final model has a way better playability than the prototype version.

With one single function, the final model enable to control the arm VERY easily.

On the prototype version, where the arm is more or less like 8258, I am sure the controls are a pain.

(also note that the outriggers seems to be attached in a much lower position on the prototype than on the final model)

Xerions are used also outside of farming. The crane seems like more for forestry use, i.e. loading the wood chipper, than farming use. There will probably be a lot of implement MODs for it like we did for the 8110 Unimog. :wink:

I am sure that the final model has a way better playability than the prototype version.

With one single function, the final model enable to control the arm VERY easily.

On the prototype version, where the arm is more or less like 8258, I am sure the controls are a pain.

(also note that the outriggers seems to be attached in a much lower position on the prototype than on the final model)

I don't think the prototype crane is much more difficult to control. Especially not when using the recent gearboxes with one switch per function. You would need three switches, two for the linear actuators, and one for crane rotation. Each function could be engaged and reversed by one of the switches. Not very difficult. The manual controls on the crane arm itself aren't that complicated either.

I really think the prototype crane both looks and works better than the final one. I think the only reason for changing it was that using parts that could easily be used for the B-model. For example, the new gear rack pieces from the Arocs, that were used for the prototype crane couldn't be used for the B-model.

I'd say that the prototype crane resembles to the 9397 one. So it's no hard to reproduce it for the Claas. But I guess that the gearbox will take alot space and will make the crane bulkier than the actual one. About the B attachment with the prototype crane, well I think that they already had it. Even if you see closely to the crane, it has the same panels. Maybe TLG just wanted to save costs (less gears, a miniLA less, a gear rack house less and every piece that you see there less). That could explain why the crane looks rushed, crude and built in 1 night as Desert stated in his video review

I'd say that the prototype crane resembles to the 9397 one. So it's no hard to reproduce it for the Claas. But I guess that the gearbox will take alot space and will make the crane bulkier than the actual one. About the B attachment with the prototype crane, well I think that they already had it. Even if you see closely to the crane, it has the same panels. Maybe TLG just wanted to save costs (less gears, a miniLA less, a gear rack house less and every piece that you see there less). That could explain why the crane looks rushed, crude and built in 1 night as Desert stated in his video review

I am still thinking how changing direction of functions worked in the prototype. It could used standard battery box switching, and then crane could have only two driving rings (and two levers). Possible?

Who knows,. Maybe the prototype had the same lever system but the crane rotation was manual operated? Though a 3 lever system would be awesome

Edited by Jonfensu

Who knows,. Maybe the prototype had the same lever system but the crane rotation was manual operated? Though a 3 lever system would be awesome

Well, I like that purely mechanical reverse system, implemented twice in this set. But I do not think that they'd use three driving rings. Actually, it seems that prototype had more detailed areas than final version (seat in the cab, front light bars, crane), but 42054 has better looking cab ans stairs.

I think that difference comes from balance between parts count, functions and overal cost of production. I'd love to see that prototype crane in final version, but it could also mean that Xerion could be built differently, with less parts etc.

Hi, this is my first MOD posted here.

Before to receive the Xerion, I wanted to MOD it as well as the real one, with AWD and an engine under the hook.

Here it is

28825253415_88db8d20b8_z.jpg

So I added an AWD transmission, without changing the steering system.

The PTO is always here (just the clutch gear deleted) but the ratio is now 1:1 with the motor L, because the transmission shaft is between motor and PTO

28825251295_c44e5ac9b2_z.jpg

And a 6 cylinders engine at the place of the battery box. From transmission axle to engine, we have 4 gears (Z24, Z8, Z8, Z24) like the tractor 8859 !

28210456593_e7e0315101_z.jpg

of course the cabin always turn on is axle

28210454223_bb0b1a5811_z.jpg

and the battery box is in front of the Xerion, in place of the front tool

28748746471_9d271fa7f2_z.jpg

And finally, a photo with is father... 35 years of evolution !

28794260496_9f16e75612_z.jpg

And special thanks to Siegfried Meyer for his LDD file, which gave me a base to work before to have the box and parts with me.

Edited by Toitoine

The way you put the BB actually looks good to me, it seems like a big counterweight, and 6L motor with the transmission looks amazing, nice work.