Review Review: 10252 Volkswagen Beetle

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which LEGO Classic Car do you prefer?

• VW Beetle
    • Mini Cooper

Thank you for this awesome review 'Rufus', my first car was a 1963/64 white Beetle so this might be my first non-minifig set I buy :wub: .

And yes, QLD is for Queensland......but I wonder Queensland, many of the famous surf contests in Oz are held in other states ? :sceptic:

The design is as close as you can get in Lego to a real Beetle :wub: .

Brick On Review On 'Rufus' ! :grin:

No problem Fangy. Mostly they are both sturdy; the roof stuff might pop off the Beetle - the coolbox is only attached by 1 stud and the board is sort of wedged in. On the main body the door mirrors are the weakest part, but they aren't in a position where you might knock them easily.

The Mini's roof comes off easily - it's only attached via two studs each side at the back. This can be a little annoying, but it's unlikely to be a major problem.

Hope that helps! :sweet:

Thanks Rufus. That is helpful, as it can match my expectations with regards to these two anticipating sets.

Thanks for the excellently detailed review! I do expect to get this set even though I rarely build vehicles, I just love small classic cars like this and the Mini.

One small comment about your intro, when I read that the VCR was introduced in 1964 I thought that seemed off. I read up on and realize that is technically right, there was a home video recording system sold at that time. But it was not until 1976 that the VHS format which would become ubiquitous in homes was introduced. Sorry to nitpick your scene-setting. :blush:

Well, I've finished it. Somewhere to the end of the build I really got into the vibe of it becoming a Beetle, and I really enjoyed that. But when I built the roof and finished the car, I was also left with the feeling that it's just not quite a real Beetle. It's the just a bit too upright position of the windscreen, just too little of a curve in the back upright pillar and the just a bit too square roof that throws it off for me.

With squinted eyes and the knowledge that this is supposed to be a beetle, it is. But in reality, it's a good try, close, but no cigar...

I feel the only way this could have really worked out, was to make it a bit bigger, say, the same scale as the Mini. That would have created the space to get those details right. But that would have meant that the set would have easily reached the 140-160 euro price bracket and that's just not where Lego wants this series to be, I think.

So for that reason, I think this is a great set for the money. It surely was a nice and interesting build, which took me (a reasonably experienced Lego-builder) some three hours to finish.

Still a bit miffed about the 15 euro price difference with our German neighbours, though...

Edited by jfbat

Thanks for the great review.

Do you think that the tires/wheels from the Camper van would look too small on this Beetle? I can see that the wheel arch void on the Beetle is 7 studs wide while the one on the Camper is 6 studs wide.

The tires/wheels on the Beetle just look too fat and make the car stance a bit high.

Thanks for the great review! A number of those little technical bits aren't at all apparent at first glance but thanks for showing a little of how all the curves are constructed.

It looks a super set but I agree with the sentiment that it just doesn't entirely capture the essence of a Beetle. I don't think anybody has mentioned this yet but I find the two-piece construction of the bonnet, such that the bottom piece is just flat in profile (no curves like the other half) is off-putting.

I may pick this up next time I go LEGO shopping... or I might just fill out more of my architecture collection instead.

Sorry folks... I think I'll keep my money in my pocket for this one. I already own the "old" one and in my opinion, it looks more beetle like. Having said that... It does look to be an exceptional build with all of the complex brick gyrations (read SNOT) they went through to obtain the shapes they did. And I can't wait to get my hands on some of those "pop-top" tiles to use in some of my builds.

Edited by Rotundus

Very beautiful model. However i really dislike the fact Lego just put the instructions and sticker sheet loose in the box. How cheap is that.

Thanks for the great review.

Do you think that the tires/wheels from the Camper van would look too small on this Beetle? I can see that the wheel arch void on the Beetle is 7 studs wide while the one on the Camper is 6 studs wide.

The tires/wheels on the Beetle just look too fat and make the car stance a bit high.

They do not look good. The beetle has a spare the same size and it looks too small in the arch. I agree about the tires. I wanted to lower mine a plate or two, but the way the axles are attached is way complicated.

They do not look good. The beetle has a spare the same size and it looks too small in the arch. I agree about the tires. I wanted to lower mine a plate or two, but the way the axles are attached is way complicated.

It's too bad the Beetle can't be easily lowered. There are a lot of misses in the Beetle set. The Mini is a much better set.

I actually did get the front down two plates. Had to disassemble a lot, but it looks pretty cool (if you're into lowered VWs). The rear axle is attached with some technic pins direct to the frame so really will have to disassemble the whole thing I think. I'm not sure if I'll do that yet.

post-133657-0-53193800-1470171194_thumb.jpg

Edited by averagej0ey

The lowered body and smaller wheels look so much better. Were you able to use the same axles for these smaller wheels? And any guidance on how to lower the body like you did? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I did. Assuming you have the set and can look at it: Remove the entire axle assembly by pulling the black (axle pin things?) This requires a lot of disassembly up front to get it out.

Replace the bracket piece with a 2x3 plate and 1x2 brick, then move the two jumper plates and the 1x1 technic brick. Everything else should line up in the same manner. It's not quite as strong as the former build, but it's not too bad once it's all rebuilt.

You can use the same axle assembly, but not with those wheel covers I used (the attach differently and the axle cannot stick out so far). I ended up using a regular 12L axle that was just barely long enough.

Here's a pic:

post-133657-0-99471600-1470240132_thumb.jpg

I actually did get the front down two plates. Had to disassemble a lot, but it looks pretty cool (if you're into lowered VWs). The rear axle is attached with some technic pins direct to the frame so really will have to disassemble the whole thing I think. I'm not sure if I'll do that yet.

Pretty cool MOD. I've just did it on mine. Thanks. Was actually thinking about a way to do that same mod, last night watching the lastest webisode of Jay Leno's Garage, he had a guy with a custom '66 Bug, and he had the front end dropped. This should go well with other MODs I have planned. Awaiting on the pieces to arrive. Plan on modifying the bumpers, and blacking out the "chrome"(read light blueish gray) Wanted to do a "white-out" with the "chrome" but ran into the problem the Bar Holder, with handle, it only comes in black and light blueish gray. So to complete a "white-out" paint would be involved, and really don't want to do that. I think I've figured a way to do the bonnet bar in all white pieces, but stuck on another way to mount the mirrors. :( Will keep looking though.

Though will probably still use the wider wheels/tires when finished. Just a lower profile tire to fit the front end. I also two-toned mine with white when I built the Bug.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Though will probably still use the wider wheels/tires when finished. Just a lower profile tire to fit the front end. I also two-toned mine with white when I built the Bug.

I just switched mine to the original rims with these tires http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=44309#T=C. Clearance is super tight (vertically and width wise as I think they are a tiny bit wider than the original tires), but it does look good since they look more like car tires vs tractor tread.

I also bought all those white pieces for the two-tone, but then after I built it in blue I really like it and not sure if I want to switch it.

This set is becoming quite entertaining. I feel like a true VW bug owner.

Me again...

I went ahead and lowered the rear two plates as well. I'm happy with the look and I think it sits well next to the camper.

28172179124_75f33aea78_b.jpg

Warning: Here's how far you have to tear down to get it started.

28174937333_8310b9c8fa_b.jpg

If you're interested, here are a few steps I had to take in this album:

But...sometimes it's more fun to think it up on your own.

The lowered stance looks great. Thanks for sharing. I have a few questions before I get started. Please help if you can.

- Which wheels and tires are fitted on the finished mod?

- Which axles (front and rear) did you end up using?

- Is the chassis stable after the mod?

Thanks again.

The lowered stance looks great. Thanks for sharing. I have a few questions before I get started. Please help if you can.

- Which wheels and tires are fitted on the finished mod?

- Which axles (front and rear) did you end up using?

- Is the chassis stable after the mod?

Thanks again.

They are the original wheels in that last pic. The tires and axles (12L straight through is easier for me) came from the Technic Police Interceptor pull-back because I had it already and didn't mind taking the parts.

I designed it only using parts I had on hand, but it is still pretty sturdy as I was careful to address weak areas. Obviously the original design was pretty much locked together because as you see you have to tear it down to the frame to even remove the old axles. It's not quite as "connected" as that because I replaced some of the technic-pin connections with regular plates/bricks, but I can still easily pick it up, roll it around, etc without anything coming loose. If I had a few black 2x6 plates I would change the very bottom where I used a grey 6x6 plate as I think it would look better when you flip the car over, but that's not really a big deal.

The front is a little weaker. It will come apart if you pull down on the wheels/axle, but again it's fine with general handling of the model. I had all the wheels installed as I was rebuilding it last night and nothing came lose during that process either.

I just switched mine to the original rims with these tires http://www.bricklink...age?P=44309#T=C.

I ordered 55978 which are 37X22ZR's, so a little more lower profile than yours at 43.2X20ZR's (to note: the "factory" tires are 49.5X20ZR)

I also bought all those white pieces for the two-tone, but then after I built it in blue I really like it and not sure if I want to switch it.

Thinking about buying another one to build as "factory".

This set is becoming quite entertaining. I feel like a true VW bug owner.

I know. i think, I've almost got mine the way I want. still waiting on a few parts. My list of mods:

* Two Tone white.

* Dropped front end (per your instructions) Will leave this way. Really like the raked look.

* Currently have the Metallic 3x3 discs for hub caps. (not sure how this will end up.)

* In process of doing a "white-out" for all the "Chrome"(read light bluish gray) pieces

* "painted" rear tail light housings body color

* "Tinted" rear windows

* "Shaved" front turn signals (in the real world, turn signals would be incorporated into the headlight assemblies)

* Modified front bumper to be only two plates wide at thickest part instead of three, removed front licence tag(not sure if will stay off yet)

* "Shaved" engine deck lid handle. (and replaced 1x2 jumper for extra 1x3 plate for the other license tags for a 1x2 body colored plate.)

* Removed the bars (1x2 slopes on front edges of the bumpers), they are just plain straight bumpers now.

Think that's all.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

As of yet I do not own this set, but it is on my short list of must haves. Over the years I've owned several bugs, a westy, and a 1956 low light Ghia. Needless to say I am a huge vdub fan. That being said, the one mod I would like to see/do is place the Porsche 3.0 flat six motor under the bonnet. Of course restyled into more of a street racer than a beach cruiser. Soon enough I suppose.

Edited by LegoLeroy

That being said, the one mod I would like to see/do is place the Porsche 3.0 flat six motor under the bonnet. Of course restyled into more of a street racer than a beach cruiser. Soon enough I suppose.

That is something I've thought of. Well and engine swap in any case, not necessarily the Porsche 3.0. But not much of a mod'er or moc'er here, Just getting started. So probably won't happen for me unless someone posts instructions. Though I have learned a few things in changing somethings out on this car.

Have also looked into removing the roof rack. Will take a lot of 1x2 tiles since they don't have anything bigger in the Dark Azure. Maybe carry the two-tone theme to the roof in white.

They are the original wheels in that last pic. The tires and axles (12L straight through is easier for me) came from the Technic Police Interceptor pull-back because I had it already and didn't mind taking the parts.

I designed it only using parts I had on hand, but it is still pretty sturdy as I was careful to address weak areas. Obviously the original design was pretty much locked together because as you see you have to tear it down to the frame to even remove the old axles. It's not quite as "connected" as that because I replaced some of the technic-pin connections with regular plates/bricks, but I can still easily pick it up, roll it around, etc without anything coming loose. If I had a few black 2x6 plates I would change the very bottom where I used a grey 6x6 plate as I think it would look better when you flip the car over, but that's not really a big deal.

The front is a little weaker. It will come apart if you pull down on the wheels/axle, but again it's fine with general handling of the model. I had all the wheels installed as I was rebuilding it last night and nothing came lose during that process either.

Thanks for the information. I think I'd work on dropping the body by a plate and using a lower profile tire like what you did. That would drop the body by a total of about two plates.

My only gripe with the Beetle are the stickers and the relative scale (bigger than the Mini), except for that I really dig mine.

Just built this and I love it. It's one of those sets that has MOC-like qualities, both in the way it's built and how it looks. Really a must have.
If I have to nitpick (and considering that I paid 15eur more than in a neighbor country because of the Lego shop, I think I'm allowed to), I'd say it's a perfect model that could have been produced better/less optimized for price:

-those 2 parts that have a slightly different blue :(

-the lack of smoothness because some compound parts weren't produced in blue (perhaps to spare money, perhaps to increase the piece count). I had the same problem with Wall-E, in some places you wonder why you're adding lots of small tiles/bricks instead of a couple of larger ones.

-the stickers of course. Lego should definitely always provide 2 sheets. Even though this is the kind of set that should have been fully printed.