Flandy

[MOD] 75102 X-wing S-foil, rubber band, and landing gear fix

Nice mod... very cool how you've hidden the rubber bands. Admittedly, this is one particular aspect of these X-Wings and the 9493 kit that I was never really happy about. I'm wondering if the same mod could be applied to the 9493 X-Wing...

Flandy, your mod is awesome, it can hide the plastic bands between the wings and it looks much better than before, I follow your instruction step by step, finding the parts and it's really fun and I enjoy it so much. Thanks a lot. It would be grateful if you could take some pictures of how you can move the twisty knob to the back of the ship. Many thanks.

x wing (3).jpg

On 07/02/2017 at 7:54 AM, airhang said:

Flandy, your mod is awesome, it can hide the plastic bands between the wings and it looks much better than before, I follow your instruction step by step, finding the parts and it's really fun and I enjoy it so much. Thanks a lot. It would be grateful if you could take some pictures of how you can move the twisty knob to the back of the ship. Many thanks.

x wing (3).jpg

I'll do a partial strip down and take a few pics at the weekend. It's relatively simple, especially on  the resistance x-wing with the storage box at the back.

3 hours ago, Hell_Hawk_33 said:

Your X-Wing's look great with the flush wings. :) Landing gear is nice, too.

Thanks! The wings are tricky to assemble, and not as strong as the originals, but they're fine for display and light to intermediate swooshing.

On 02/01/2017 at 11:40 AM, Captain_Quinn said:

Nice mod... very cool how you've hidden the rubber bands. Admittedly, this is one particular aspect of these X-Wings and the 9493 kit that I was never really happy about. I'm wondering if the same mod could be applied to the 9493 X-Wing...

I've been MODing a 9493 on and off for a while, there's not much original left, I'll post up some pics at the weekend.

Can anyone who's done this modification provide a parts list and more detailed instructions?  It's very hard for me to tell just from these pictures.

On 15/07/2016 at 9:50 AM, Flandy said:

Hi all, be kind, this is the first time I've actually started a topic here, and shared pics of my lego fumblings. I've been away from lego for 20 years, and then my GF bought me the lego millenium falcon for christmas, and it's totally rekindled my love (for Lego, not the GF, I loved her already...).

Like many, I found the S-foils on the most recent T-70 X-wings rather underwhelming. The X-wings in the movie look so cool, aggressive, dynamic, and the new engine pods and the way the wings fold to become one single plane in cruise mode is very slick indeed. The Lego version is significantly less slick in this regard, and this bothered me. As is well documented, the wings don't even meet, let alone combine into one, the lower wing is studs down, which means the ugly plate underside is on show, and the dreaded blue rubber bands, both look out of place at the back of the engine pods, and pull the wings at an angle. I will say that I like the folding mechanism as a play function, and did not want to loose it.

So first off, the closed position:

P1040258_zpsvlgzju4z.jpg

P1040238_zpsb902hms3.jpg

P1040239_zpsh6ftfyjw.jpg

P1040240_zpsf3khcjb7.jpg

P1040241_zpsdjjjlqwy.jpg

P1040242_zpsxfzhkbhx.jpg

When they're closed, there is no gap, no angle difference, and to all intents and purposes, it appears as though it's one single wing, just as it should.

And now, open

P1040246_zps9cjgpgme.jpg

P1040247_zps5pkudqg3.jpg

P1040254_zpsiencailx.jpg

Again, no angle change due to rubber band tension. The bands are still being used, but I found a way to integrate them such that they pull the wings closed as they should, but not unevenly, and within the forward profile of the wings so that they're not obvious. In fact they now look like some kind of power cables on the engine undesides.

Here's some close ups:

P1040248_zpsdulzihxi.jpg

P1040249_zpsw5ozq3yn.jpg

P1040249_zpsdk2lyy92.jpg

P1040250_zpspdie38ou.jpg

P1040251_zps5kxnqxte.jpg

P1040253_zpseeafa3yc.jpg

I'll go into more detail on this tomorrow if anyone's interested, but essentially the now studs up lower wings have some 2x1 modified plates with pin loops with pins going into 1x1 technic bricks as the method of attaching them, with one of the pins sticking out for the bands to locate on. The bands then go around the back of another pin that replaced a cream coloured short pin on the body of the ship, then go up inside the upper wing engine where there's one of thes guys for them to hook on to:

4488_plate_2x2_with_pin_hell-grau.jpg

It has as much tension as the original system, but looks alot slicker, though i will admit it is a bit trickier to put together. the bands also seem to hold the lower wing onto the engine a bit too, which is nice.

The rear landing gear is rubbish on the original, and i wanted something that would retract cleanly. The real ship has landing gear that emerges from the slopes between the curved engine and the wing. This seemed impossible to duplicate at this scale, and with the stuff for the new folding mechanism, so did landing gear on the engines too, so i mounted it to the body, at its widest part.

P1040257_zpsefcwlc1u.jpg

P1040244_zpsyzrqzmbf.jpg

It folds up and becomes part of the body curve at the back, which is nice. I apologise for the crappy lighting, again, I'll get better pics if there's interest. I may swap the grey part for black, but I don't have any at the moment.

Elsewhere on the ship, I moved the cockpit back one stud, and started playing around reprofiling the nose a little. This is the next area for my attention and is a work in progress.

Please feel free to comment, I'm open for any constructive criticism!

Hi there. I'd love to see these pictures. Any chance you can re-load them? Or would you be able to email them to me? Thanks!

I believe Photobucket recently changed their policy on hosting. Actually it came out of nowhere and there is some bad blood for them now with many companies.

Perhaps moving these to Flickr would do justice to this great MOD. 

Yeah it's on the agenda, I just haven't had the time to go through and work out which goes where and edit every thread on the various forums I'm on. It's Like photobucket saw the recent ransomware attacks and adopted it as a business model. Good luck with that......

Did this based on your guidelines. Needed to tweak since I missed a bunch of bricks you used. Still satifiied with the wings. Getting the rubber band inside was tricky to the max but it works out so much better.

Thanks Flandy!

MXJCV0X6_aV4FpyUazyJ7TB7Q9wuakD1YsXncC6I

FgH6f93oSwFzItVULNaxidXLZvSlntiY1XCwy5In

2dZ-SHV66Xb3F_ezIxK_bx4vNSsjF46icciTLYFL

Edited by horizon

Yeah I know, it's gonna take me a few hours to sort out the pics and figure out which ones went where, and I've been too busy with work lately. I will get to it eventually! Sorry for the delay, if you'd like to direct your complaints to the Megablocks at Photobucket......

Hello there :)

I made some modifications, it's not over yet, but some changes are already there. What do you think about the front landing gear?

2017-09-10 06.54.53 1

Another photo in new album on Flickr - https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4Lu4i3

Someone could do instructions to hide the rubber band? 

Hi, my last MOD of Poe's X-wing, I changed front landing gear, wings, added some details, changed colors and few others mod. I'm currently trying to remove rubber bands

I finally got around to doing this mod but thanks to photobucket now I can’t :angry:  Is there any way the images can be brought back?

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

I have some time this week, I'll try and upload all the pics somewhere else. This whole photobucket thing has been a major Pain in the big behind! I've been crazy busy at work so this has been a low priority but I'll see what I can do. There will be significatly less pics than before so you'll have to work some bits out for yourself. Happy holidays!

Hi!

I made tutorial to my MOD of X-Wing - hiding rubber bands! List of parts in description of the movie (XML file) or below

<INVENTORY>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>87087</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>11477</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>6</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>15068</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>4</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3024</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>10</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3024</ITEMID><COLOR>85</COLOR><MINQTY>8</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>2412b</ITEMID><COLOR>95</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3023</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>4</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3623</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>4</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3623</ITEMID><COLOR>85</COLOR><MINQTY>8</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3710</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>6</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3021</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3666</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3020</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>12</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3795</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>3034</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>60478</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>8</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>4488</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>8</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>11478</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>2</MINQTY></ITEM>
<ITEM><ITEMTYPE>P</ITEMTYPE><ITEMID>32054</ITEMID><COLOR>11</COLOR><MINQTY>4</MINQTY></ITEM>
</INVENTORY>

On 9/25/2018 at 12:52 AM, Flandy said:

Well I'll be darned, the pics all seem to be back up! Has photobucket had a change of heart?

Good video btw Kozikyo86

Thanks! :)

Time to make some stand or landing gear :)

Hi!

I convert old engines on new one like in set 75273 with new 3x3 parts! Free tutorial on my YouTube - Edge of Bricks :)