Sign in to follow this  
Kodan Black

[O - H06] The Major

Tags: Land Vehicle, Civil Building

** My 52nd weekly build in AG, so I've now done a year's worth of weekly's consecutively!**

Previously...

// PERSONAL DIARY //

We were recently sent a communication from Corporate HQ about a new program to try and make all AG staff better prepared for the harshness of our environment. I think that HQ was concerned for our safety and they tried to illustrate that by saying that losing humans came at "a significant cost." They instructed that we participate in classes led by one of their security staff, Major Richard Allcock.

Being a member of the executive team I, of course, knew that I should provide a good example and therefore made sure I was one of the first trained and clearly demonstrated my enthusiasm for the effort to those around me. Dr. Allison and I reported to a training facility for our first class -- "Armed Self Defense: Use the Pointy End". Upon arriving we met the Major (he prefers to be called that), and he explained that he had brought with him some of the finest warriors to train us. They were skilled in fencing, polearms, and many other bladed weapon disciplines. One thing I noticed that was a big shift for me was that the Major always wanted us to yell our answers. If he asked if we understood something we weren't supposed to say "Yes", we should shout loudly: "YES, MAJOR!" Not something you generally do in a science lab.

The Major asked Dr. Allison and myself about our military history (none), our previous armed/unarmed defense training (none), and our daily training regimen (apparently "walking to the lab" wasn't a good answer as he had me "drop and give him 20", which meant push ups I learned). Once we had established our lack of skills he went into a several minute profanity laced tirade about being barely more than targets. I attempted to point out that protection was never a concern as I had ED-208 (whom had been forbidden from attending) to keep me safe. I then learned that the Major was not a fan of robots. He asked what I would do when "that damned machine comes for my precious fluids", which I had no answer for as I had no idea what that meant. He asked if I had ever watched the classic "Terminator" series of holovids in which the inevitability of robot revolt was explored. I had not and he said that I should do my research before talking about things. I tried to explain that I had a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, a PhD in robotics and was working on a second PhD in Artificial Intelligence, but he simply said that "book learning ain't a replacement for the real thing."

I was the first to face off against my instructors and they gave me a wooden practice sword so I wouldn't hurt anyone. The Major stood on his jeep (I'm not sure why he even had one in the facility or how it got in there, but he said it was necessary) and used his megaphone to yell instructions. Though mostly it was just "attack" or "defend yourself dummy!" I did my best to fend off my far more trained attackers, but it did not go well. I felt like even the training facility cats could have successfully attacked me -- especially the big smelly one.

27679606623_a628cd5c8f_c.jpg

27679605063_1a745e78b0_c.jpg

After an hour or so the Major said we were done for the day. I think all that armor must have made him really hot because he said he "needed a drink, like a gallon or so should do." I was very tired but felt like I was better prepared to face the trials of life in AG. After the class I told Dr. Allison I was going to head out to the garden outside the training facility for a bit of meditation on what I had just learned. She said she would catch up with me later and I was left alone with my thoughts.

27679100544_eaf1f91a9b_c.jpg

Extra Pics:

27679100674_8915ef3e21_c.jpg

28295225445_386efe7075_c.jpg

28013785710_6226fe4708_c.jpg

Excellent flower garden! I love how innocent Kodan is in military training. Why are there skunks and cats in training though? :laugh:

Shoot. I forgot I was going to reference this in my build this week... ah well. It was crammed as it was, and I'll certainly get around to it this next week. :blush:

Congrats on a solid year! Wow! You put us casuals to shame, Kodan! :laugh: You succeeded where few others could, and with any luck, you'll continue to defy expectations and the odds! :grin:

It's a great build for the years end also. I like the reflective end scene in the meditation garden. Kodan is such a pleasant lad. :classic: totally oblivious to the unhinged, unfrocked space marine he's being bullied by! :laugh:

I loved all the film references, particularly Dr. Strangelove! :laugh:

Great build! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Excellent flower garden! I love how innocent Kodan is in military training. Why are there skunks and cats in training though? :laugh:

I wanted it to be a kinda ancient dojo type vibe and for some reason that meant cats to me. Plus, I have a bunch of cats I've never gotten to use before. The skunk was a slight easter egg -- it is referenced in the story as the "big smelly one". :wink:

Cool story, that Major is not the nicest of persons and why does he have to stand on a jeep? :wacko: Crazy person!

I like the dojo, it has a real dojo'ish feel to it! That tranquil garden looks like it belongs outside of a dojo, so good job on that as well!