Here it is, the biggest - and surprisingly cheap, given the size - set in the Technic history so far. It's just recently been beaten by Cinderella Castle when it comes to pieces count, but oh well...

First impressions: it's enormous, it's slow, the new annular quarter-gear piece is awesome and the truck is strongly different from the 42035 set, regardless of what some people claim (you can see it next to 42035 in the video).

Pros:

- enormous, the biggest Technic set in history, over 1,100 pieces more than in the second biggest one (42043 set)

- reasonably priced: costs actually less than the 42056 set which is much smaller

- fantastic source of pieces, including many great new pieces

- superb lesson of structural engineering

- comes with a nice truck

- both A and B model are unusual machines

- pleasant, straightforward build, took me actually less time than the 42043 set

Cons:

- digging, the primary function, is almost useless because the bucket wheel stops on anything

- most children will be adults by the time it drives across the room

- mastering the control gearbox isn't easy

- plenty of backlash because of all the gears; the accuracy of lower belt's lock function suffers in particular

- doesn't look like any typical bucket wheel excavator

- very sparse selection of spare pieces

Edited by Sariel

Great review! Was again very pleasing to watch :)

About the moving speed: looks pretty accurate for its scale if you ask me :-)

As always, Thank you for a wonderful review. Couple of thoughts though. You list the slow speed at the beginning as a "con" - but later offer an explanation (you don't want something this large speeding through your home) as though this is a "pro." Also, the slow speed is accurate. I am not sure about BWE's, but large crawler cranes have a top speed of less than 1 MPH. There are many reasons for this, but among them is that it stops the superstructure from bouncing back and forth. I just completed a large Crawler Crane in Feb. of this year and geared it very very slow. Any faster and the thing would be bouncing all over the place. I am thinking the same of this model.... so wondering if the slow speed is really all that bad. If anything, it is accurate.

The same can be said about the superstructures rotational speed. It is supposed to be slow. Perhaps not fun for playability, but as for accuracy, it is spot on. Any faster, especially with all the backlash from Lego, and then thing would likely be more catchy and bouncy. I think the rotational speed might also be spot on.

--- Lastly, and this is just a question. When the bucket stops b/c it hits something.... is this a product of the white clutch gears or is the motor actually stalling? If due to the clutch gears, this could be an easy fix.

Wondering about space for a second XL motor for coupling or something...... however, damage of pieces could become a real concern.

Edited by nerdsforprez

Yes, the clutches are very sensitive and stop the wheel immediately. Everything you say about the speed is true - from an experienced adult's point of view. The review is supposed to be for everybody, so I have to consider kids who will want to play with this set - to them, something that takes about 5 minutes to do one 360 rotation (yes, really!) will be disappointing. It feels like it could be faster even with this one PF XL motor. It seems to be geared down more than it really needs to, judging e.g. from its sound.

Edited by Sariel

I'll take back my concerns about this set - I think the functions are good and make me want this set.

As to the design, I could picture some cosmetic modding of it... But also I'm not too worried about it not looking like an already existing BWE, I don't know much about them but I got the impression they are all somewhat unique anyway (like do they have a cooky cutter style?), so this could be a Lego styled BWE

Edited by Alternator

Thank you Sariel for the review and the interview video, I find both very enlightening. There are some clever functionalities in this set. Not completely convinced by the looks yet, though.

As for the remark that this set doesn't look like a real model, Google for the BWEs a company called Sandvik makes, you will be supprised by the similarities (I can't upload an image at the moment).

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Accurate and great review as usual Sariel, enjoyed it and thanks for bringing it to us!

My opinion now: bad proportions, ugly look, almost zero playability given the speed and complexity of gearbox (also who is going to actually play/dig stuff with it??) , ok on the +3900 parts...but one can still buy only the ones needed on Bricklink/BrickOwl.....so for me is a massive no! I don't see why TLG needed to make this set....

Yes, the clutches are very sensitive and stop the wheel immediately. Everything you say about the speed is true - from an experienced adult's point of view. The review is supposed to be for everybody, so I have to consider kids who will want to play with this set - to them, something that takes about 5 minutes to do one 360 rotation (yes, really!) will be disappointing. It feels like it could be faster even with this one PF XL motor. It seems to be geared down more than it really needs to, judging e.g. from its sound.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarifying. I didn't think of it from a child's POV. Yea.....this would really drive them nuts.

Thanks for wonderfull review! Shame about digging, which stop almost immidiatelly.

Yes..... but like Sariel responded, this stoppage is b/c of the clutches. Easy fix. The trick will be making the change but not damaging the motors. I think a first and very easy modification should be to switch out the clutch gears for regular 24 tooth gears and see how the digging works. Wondering of any other reviewers, Jim, etc. could do this in their review.......In my experience (I usually change out white clutch gears, I get why they are produced, but I never use them) if one is careful, you can do away with clutch gears and you won't damage gears. I redid 42042 (blue crawler crane) with out the clutches and lifted around 800 grams no problem. Lego motors are tougher, IMO, than many give them credit for.

Oh god, this is really amazing and huge, i wish to get one in Christmas maybe, it is awesome, by the way, nice review Sariel :thumbup: .

Excellent review! A good thing there was some work (read food) for the hamsters to be done..

Don't now if I ever going to get this set; It seems to big for me and usually I'm not in to constructions/mining-vehicles.

Thanks for the review. Does it go faster with the BuWizz device fast mode? :classic:

As for the remark that this set doesn't look like a real model, Google for the BWEs a company called Sandvik makes, you will be supprised by the similarities (I can't upload an image at the moment).

It seems have some Sandvik PE100to it but not exact copying.

kotrogep_matrai_eromu_01.jpg

BWEs in general aren't designed to be pretty. Their main design criteria is reliability for 7x24 non-stop mining operations. I suppose you can pretty it up with some Friends colours and flowers. :laugh:

Hi, I am newly registered here (I have been reading for quite some time now)

I registered because I want to show some of my MOCs (later), and now to say thank you Sariel for nice review of the set I am really looking forward to.

My comments (I am industrial designer - I design toys professionally [not LEGO]):

Speed: IMO: "to keep it real bro" I would bet, that was the intention behind lowering speed as low as possible. Real BWEs are slow too. Moving forward, turning of super strucure takes forever too. If you see them in action (apart from belt and actual bucket wheel - which moves fast) one would argue if they actually move when they move, hardly visible.

Digging: IMO safety was main concern here. if it was designed strong enough that it would actually dig through pile of e.g. LEGO bricks, it would have been difficult to make it "toy legal" on some markets (we live in "nanny world")

Thank you for review, again.

Edited by J_C

In terms of the bucket-digging.... I also think that we are comparing apples and oranges here. Most people that are going to be trying to pick up some bricks have a measly pile of bricks on the ground. Think of the geometry here. When using the BWE to just pick up some measly pebbles on the floor one is primarily using the bucket in the "6" position (standard face clock). The material being picked up is too horizontal relative to the buckets. Real BWE dont just pick up a few pebbles from the floor. THey move whole mountains. There is dirt/material not just at the "6" position, but also the 4 and five, as well as the 7 and 8 position as well. Even the buckets at the 3 and 9 position are used. The dirt/material is much more perpendicular/vertical to the buckets at these positions.... and therefore much more likely to remain in the buckets and not fall out. And it is not just the amount of material that causes this difference. Even if you had a cazillion little bricks to pick up, b/c they do not stick together, they would fall to the sides and create just a larger and larger pyramid-like mound. Really hard for a BWE type build to get to use it's buckets in the 3, 9, 4, and 8 position for a job like this. However, real earth sticks together. Real BWEs to jobs where often the earth they are cutting into is completely vertical/perpendicular to the buckets. Much, much easier to really maximize the cutting/picking up potential of the buckets when used to excavate material such as this......

What is the white box? It seems like it is just a filler in the main box.

Is that true?

If so, I have to comment that is ridiculous. TLG claims they do not print B models instruction for enviromental reasons, but creating empty boxes and having "air" shipped across the world using fuel and resources is OK?

I would prefer to have small box (full) and ideally B-model instruction printed.

Please, could you clarify about content of the white box?

Thanks.

What is the white box? It seems like it is just a filler in the main box.

If you watch the video, you'll know that the box contains first 10 bags with pieces. It's clearly explained and the contents are shown.

Edited by Sariel

I guess the lack of steering can be considered a "con".

For the rest, the model looks pretty good.

If you watch the video, you'll know that the box contains first 10 bags with pieces. It's clearly explained and the contents are shown.

Sorry, my bad, I watched that section again. I understand now. Thank you.

Edited by J_C

BWE spend most of their time going back and forth on a fixed heading while swinging the arm or raising/lowereing the cutter head as it advances, until that cut is completed, only then do they need to steer to start a new heading.

Shouldn't be problem fiiting M or L motors into the base to power each track to allow steering and another to drive the two LA's

I intend to build the A model, then B model and then use the parts to build a large bucket wheel trencher using the new gear quadrants.

I hope the UK price doesn't go up !!!

Thank You Sariel for the review, high valued as usual!

I also disagree regading the look - see Sandvik. I am also not bothered by either "cons" listed above, most of them irrelevant for me, or normal compromise - it is finally made of Lego pieces.

Can be improved for sure, but out of the box: lot of interesting functions and details, better than expected. Good job TLG! :sweet:

In terms of the bucket-digging.... I also think that we are comparing apples and oranges here. Most people that are going to be trying to pick up some bricks have a measly pile of bricks on the ground. Think of the geometry here. When using the BWE to just pick up some measly pebbles on the floor one is primarily using the bucket in the "6" position (standard face clock). The material being picked up is too horizontal relative to the buckets. Real BWE dont just pick up a few pebbles from the floor. THey move whole mountains. There is dirt/material not just at the "6" position, but also the 4 and five, as well as the 7 and 8 position as well. Even the buckets at the 3 and 9 position are used. The dirt/material is much more perpendicular/vertical to the buckets at these positions.... and therefore much more likely to remain in the buckets and not fall out. And it is not just the amount of material that causes this difference. Even if you had a cazillion little bricks to pick up, b/c they do not stick together, they would fall to the sides and create just a larger and larger pyramid-like mound. Really hard for a BWE type build to get to use it's buckets in the 3, 9, 4, and 8 position for a job like this. However, real earth sticks together. Real BWEs to jobs where often the earth they are cutting into is completely vertical/perpendicular to the buckets. Much, much easier to really maximize the cutting/picking up potential of the buckets when used to excavate material such as this......

I would build a "rock face" feeder to help load pieces into the buckets like

. I could see someone building a giant mining scene with this for an AFOL convention in the future.

Excellent review (as always), not to bothered about the 'playability' as most of mine get built and displayed only.

Watched the review first thing this morning. I think it's a good set, but I probably won't buy it... it's $280, I think, and for $20 more one could buy the Volvo and the Claas. And I'm not all that thrilled by this... can't wait for the reviews of those sets!

"42055 racing is the next big Lego thing"

I would love to see what MODs can be done with this set or is it even worth it ?