tnmears

[WIP] C&O Heavy Pacific

EDIT: Yes, I somehow jacked up the title it should read "[WIP] C&O Heavy Pacific"

In the early Twentieth Century, the Chesapeake & Ohio used a fleet of Pacific 4-6-2s to haul some of its passenger trains.

http://mrr.trains.co...RRNP0214_39.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws....-11128_4081.jpg

I have been working on and off on this one for several years now. This is not continuously, mind you.

I would say I am about 75% done with this.

The tender is a placeholder as I would like to build a better normal one or the more accurate Vanderbilt tender that the prototype comes with. However, I am trying to think how to properly do the tank portion as I currently use the tender to power it with 9V motors and have the tender filled with weights for better traction.

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

Things I'm trying to sort out

• The under the smokebox shape. It's complicated because of the way the cylinders attach.
  • I want to replace the brick built cylinders with technic liftarm based ones as the currents ones have a habit of randomly exploding whilst running...
  • Sorting out the greebling, namely above the drivers.
  • Giving the cab an interior.

It seems to run well around stock curves although the cylinders have to be realigned after awhile of running.

Edited by tnmears

Pro Tip: I'd look into changing the topic's title. I was about ready to report the article as spam at first glance, and I know others will too.

Other than that, I think you've got a good start with this! :thumbup: It's certainly an interesting prototype you're working with, and I think you've got quite a few of the aspects down, particularly the front of the engine.

I can't seem to be able to edit it. *huh*

I somehow pasted a reference link into the title...

EDIT: thanks to whoever changed it!

Edited by tnmears

Oh! I really like that engine! technic lift-arm cylinders can be challenging. I don't use your wheel set up where you've got BFB for your drivers but that should make it easier for the cylinders. I usually have technic bricks running down the very middle then use 3L pins to hold these on... two on each side. Then I use these and a 1/2 pin with stud on the end to hold two of these, one in the front and one in the back on each siide. Then a 3L technic beam in the middle held in place with a friction pin. All together it looks something like this. On the front of the cylinders, you have the studs from the pin and shooters to for your cylinder caps (1x1 round tile, and 2x2 round tile). I hope all that makes sense...

This model looks awesome! It will be really nice to see it pulling your dark green cars... it would be even more awesome when you get your pistons problem solved.

You've made quite an entry into this forum, and i'd like to see what you have up next to build!

Anyway, keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Oh! I really like that engine! technic lift-arm cylinders can be challenging. I don't use your wheel set up where you've got BFB for your drivers but that should make it easier for the cylinders. I usually have technic bricks running down the very middle then use 3L pins to hold these on... two on each side. Then I use these and a 1/2 pin with stud on the end to hold two of these, one in the front and one in the back on each siide. Then a 3L technic beam in the middle held in place with a friction pin. All together it looks something like this. On the front of the cylinders, you have the studs from the pin and shooters to for your cylinder caps (1x1 round tile, and 2x2 round tile). I hope all that makes sense...

This is sorta what I am looking for, but it will have to take some thinkin' and Bricklink orderin' as I am sparse on Technic stuff.

This model looks awesome! It will be really nice to see it pulling your dark green cars... it would be even more awesome when you get your pistons problem solved.

You've made quite an entry into this forum, and i'd like to see what you have up next to build!

Anyway, keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Thanks. I'm trying to sort through my stuff that I have been fiddling with for the last several years. :shark:

Looks great, never seen that sort of technique you used for the front pairs of wheels before.

Although I do suggest that you smoothen out the tender with some tiles.

Looking great with all sorts of key recognizable features, e.g., the feedwater heater ahead of the stack and the compressors on the front of the smoke box. Only suggestion I have is to fiddle with the cab sides a bit more, perhaps swap the window with the bricks so that the window is on the rear side of the cab.

Looking great with all sorts of key recognizable features, e.g., the feedwater heater ahead of the stack and the compressors on the front of the smoke box. Only suggestion I have is to fiddle with the cab sides a bit more, perhaps swap the window with the bricks so that the window is on the rear side of the cab.

That does sound good. I had kept the window post there to give a faux forward facing window, but on second thought swaping the window with the bricks and then rplace the bricks with this should fix that. Thanks.

I want to replace the brick built cylinders with technic liftarm based ones as the currents ones have a habit of randomly exploding whilst running...

It seems to run well around stock curves although the cylinders have to be realigned after awhile of running.

Have you tried "quartering" your drive rods?

Have you tried "quartering" your drive rods?

Do you mean offsetting one set of drive rods from the other by 90 degrees? yes...

I think it's more of the cylinder assembly wiggling loose after running too much.

Just a thought... As the locomotive is in motion, take a careful look at the cylinder rod. From the look of your design, it seems as though it might be lifting up from the back. If so, it might need to be re-enforced on the top to prevent that. If you can, post a vid of the "explosion" in progress, it would be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Edited by Rotundus

Just a thought... As the locomotive is in motion, take a careful look at the cylinder rod. From the look of your design, it seems as though it might be lifting up from the back. If so, it might need to be re-enforced on the top to prevent that. If you can, post a vid of the "explosion" in progress, it would be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

It's because the current design is held together purely by clutching power. After ~20 minutes of the piston action, gravity begins to take over. I'm going to move it to something similar to ALCO's suggestion. This would allow for better structure and a better looking design.

It's because the current design is held together purely by clutching power. After ~20 minutes of the piston action, gravity begins to take over. I'm going to move it to something similar to ALCO's suggestion. This would allow for better structure and a better looking design.

Thanks! If you need more photos of my design, I can put more up on my flickr. I have been experimenting with pushing them out another half technic beam on either side to accommodate Zephyr's rods.

Personally I think Cale's crosshead design is tough to beat in terms of reliability and low drag. I used it in this MOD...

m01.jpg

with more details here. Note how there is no piston to go in to the cylinder and bind. The half pin sliding between bars is surprisingly stable, this version just sticks the 4 long bars into the holes of a bracket and stabilizes them with a 2 long technic half beam.

I've made a few changes...

005.png

• Changed the cylinders to a Technic based version based off of a SavaTheAggie design.
  • Shortened the pilot truck by a stud or two and added steps and positioned the headlight better.
  • Made the greebles on the front of the firebox have better positioning
  • Made the back truck look better
  • Better side greebles
  • Better firebox shape
  • Better tender, still not a vandy though, but still more prototypical but still working on its proportions

This is still able to go around curves. I was also surprised that I didn't have to make a bricklink order.

I still think that the tender is a bit tall...

Shortening it by about two bricks to make it look a bit more like the real thing. ;)

I still think that the tender is a bit tall...

Shortening it by about two bricks to make it look a bit more like the real thing. ;)

I noticed that after taking the picture. It's the difference between building on a surface versus building on a track. I never thought the wheel flanges would make that much difference.

Personally I think Cale's crosshead design is tough to beat in terms of reliability and low drag. I used it in this MOD...

with more details here. Note how there is no piston to go in to the cylinder and bind. The half pin sliding between bars is surprisingly stable, this version just sticks the 4 long bars into the holes of a bracket and stabilizes them with a 2 long technic half beam.

I have been eyeing this design for a while now. I'm still not quite convinced the piston connection to the rods will work...at lease I can't seem to get it to line up right in LDD... I don't have the space/time for really trying it with bricks just now.

I've made a few changes...

005.png

• Changed the cylinders to a Technic based version based off of a SavaTheAggie design.
  • Shortened the pilot truck by a stud or two and added steps and positioned the headlight better.
  • Made the greebles on the front of the firebox have better positioning
  • Made the back truck look better
  • Better side greebles
  • Better firebox shape
  • Better tender, still not a vandy though, but still more prototypical but still working on its proportions

This is still able to go around curves. I was also surprised that I didn't have to make a bricklink order.

Wow! Those upgrades look fantastic!!! Do you have a video of this beaut running? I'd love to see it!

I have been eyeing this design for a while now. I'm still not quite convinced the piston connection to the rods will work...at lease I can't seem to get it to line up right in LDD... I don't have the space/time for really trying it with bricks just now.

I think the design works well, as it is essentially what I used.

Wow! Those upgrades look fantastic!!! Do you have a video of this beaut running? I'd love to see it!

Thanks.

I don't have a video of it...yet. I'm waiting on finishing some more on a layout.