After trying out the BuWizz with a big 4x4 offroader I decided to try the other spectrum - speed.

For this purpose I designed a very simple, but robust racing car.

The main features:

- Rear wheel drive powered by two RC motors

- Rather hard independent suspesnion on all wheels including realistic caster angle in front for best directional stability

- Use of old x873c01 hubs for lowest possible wobble and friction

- 4 point reinforced suspension for highest steering accuracy

- 4x Tumbler wheels for highest possible traction and cool factor

- 1x BuWizz running in ludicrous mode, providing enough power for the model to reach 25 km/h

And this is how it works in practice:

So how did the model work out? Well as you can see the racer reached an amazing speed, and survived quite many jumps and crashes.

The suspension held up suprisingly well and no drivelinecomponent of the rear wheel drive ever failed, even though the BuWizz powered the motors with enough juice to powerslide the massive tumbler wheels on concrete.

All in the model was a blast to drive and seeing it jump over shallow ramps of the garage house was simply breathtaking.

I hope the BuWizz becomes a reality, so I can make even faster, more powerfull version of such vehicles such as rally cars and trophy trucks

What's up with you chasing it?
Yeah, I'm curious as well. Isn't BT range enough to stand in one place while controlling the model?

We set up a safety feature, if the model would get to far, it would automatically lock the motors in order to stop it from getting away and crashing into walls. Unfortunately that decreased the control distance... Long story short my legs sure are sore :laugh:

You should've found a bigger carpark, or an airfield ;-) It seems you were running to fast as there were some nasty crashes against those walls. Did anything brake? How about the tires (offtopic I know) - any noticeable wear?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Wow, SBrick certainly has some good competition now! I would say that this single, rather small and light BuWizz is very comparable to the larger and much heavier Lego RC unit. I would love to see a race between the two.

This really is outstanding...first ever LEGO car that actually jumps negotiating shallow slopes...who could ever have imagined this... :thumbup::laugh::wub:

It seems like rally and trophy trucks could be build with such device that actually have enough speed to be realistic...awesome! :wink:

What I do wonder is what happens if the extra speed is transferred into torque, for example powering one of my truck models. Having some extra speed would be cool, but it probably makes them pull more trailers as well...we'll see! :thumbup::classic:

This video does show the BuWizz's performance (and your fitness) quite nicely. Thanks Zblj!

I have to wonder whether the "ludicrous" mode would be included if the unit goes into production. Would there still be enough of a safety margin that guarantees people don't damage the unit or their other electric parts? It would be running the setup at 11.8V! How stable would that be for people who use it continuously? The guys at SBrick say that 11.8V is the absolute maximum their unit could handle before the circuit boards start to fry. Jorge Pereira (SBrick tester) says to not go over 10.8V. If the BuWizz unit (and the LEGO wires and motors) can in fact safely handle 11.8V then this could be its main advantage over the competition.

I've known xl motors on normal power to grind axles into dust so I can only imagine what buwizz does to lego parts, then again those parts are all replaceable and cheap so why not if you like fast stuff. :thumbup:

BTW. Are you wearing Dr. Martins boots?

:D

@ZeroBricks:

Why didn´t you plow with it in the dirt? Was it not allowed by the sponsor? I know that you like doing such crazy stuff :wink:

I've known xl motors on normal power to grind axles into dust so I can only imagine what buwizz does to lego parts, then again those parts are all replaceable and cheap so why not if you like fast stuff. :thumbup:

:D

A maintanance-free car is available now in orange, but not cheap :grin:

Great MOC to off Buwizz, it does make me want to buy one.

Did you beak anything? Did you shred the tumbler tyres?