Sign in to follow this  
jonty14

Lego components made in Austria

Hi. I have just bought the Lego Ideas Maze. Austria is included as a component manufacturer. Just wondering which components are made here.

Jonathan

Hi. I have just bought the Lego Ideas Maze. Austria is included as a component manufacturer. Just wondering which components are made here.

Jonathan

I believe it varies between different countries so I can't help you with that specifically, though I do know that most of the output of the China factory for example (excluding CMFs and certain parts), goes to the surrounding area, more specifically China and Japan. I don't think Australia get that much of the Chinese made parts though I may be wrong. Oops getting very of topic here...

I believe it varies between different countries so I can't help you with that specifically, though I do know that most of the output of the China factory for example (excluding CMFs and certain parts), goes to the surrounding area, more specifically China and Japan. I don't think Australia get that much of the Chinese made parts though I may be wrong. Oops getting very of topic here...

The CMf the Die Mannschaft figures are all manufactured in China.

The simple answer is baseplates! for some reason, unknown to me Lego makes all of it's Vacuum form parts and elements like normal baseplates , roads, raised, Duplo baseplates in Austria, or did when it was viable back in the day

It sure looks that way for road plates. :classic:

. Interesting, could it be so they only need to have the machinery for packaging the base plates at one factory?

Well it should be pretty obvious why not North Korea...

Why Austria specifically probably boils down to money. Austria probably offered the best combination of tax breaks, cheap labor, proximity to main Billund factory, proximity to ray materials, proximity to skilled labor needed to run factory, etc.

I was thinking along the same lines

tax breaks

proximity to raw materials Plastic sheet manufacture is near by (cost of transport for said material to Billund for processing vs local `

proximity to skilled labor

Same thing in Switzerland, once them tax brakes were gone and the cost of labour went up what the point, then they went eastern Europe where the skills are there and labour costs are low