Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-Ch3B] The Story of Father Tholeau and the Three Monkeys

ONCE UPON A TIME there was an Olander priest named Tholeau. The priest, secretly in search of the Fountain of Youth, set sail with Cato Calrelli to Nelissa. One night, when the ship neared the islands that, according to an ancient manuscript, were the likeliest locations of the fountain, Tholeau made his move. While most of the crew was asleep, the priest threw his clothes on over his pajamas, snuck out through a gun port, and sailed off by himself in the captain’s boat.

ch3b1.jpg

The priest eventually came upon the first island, but it did not match the description in the ancient manuscript. “This island is too big!” he exclaimed. So he proceeded to the second island. “This island is too small,” he said. So, he sailed to the last island. “Ahhh, this island is just right,” he said happily, and he proceeded to the interior of the island.

ch3b2.jpg

After he’d travelled far into the jungle, he was hot and sweaty and wanted to refresh himself, when he happened across three bodies of water. So he undressed and waded into the first pool. “This pool is too hot!” he exclaimed, and he jumped out. So he waded into the second pool. “This pool is too cold!” he shivered, and climbed out. So he tried the last pool. “Ahhh, this pool is just right,” he sighed.

ch3b3.jpg

After bathing in the pool, Father Tholeau was very tired. He climbed out and put on his pajamas. He found a nice bed of leaves to lie down in, but it was too hard underneath. Then he lay in a second bed of leaves, but it was too soft. Then he lay down in a third bed of leaves and it was just right. Tholeau fell asleep.

ch3b4.jpg

As he was sleeping, three monkeys came by. “Someone’s been wading in my pool,” growled the Papa monkey.

“Someone’s been wading in my pool,” said the Mama monkey.

“Someone’s been wading in my pool, and they turned it yellow!” cried the Baby monkey.

Looking around some more, they saw the leaves had been disturbed. Papa monkey growled, “Someone’s been sleeping in my bed!”

“Someone’s been sleeping in my bed, too” said the Mama monkey.

“Someone’s been sleeping in my bed and he’s still here!” exclaimed Baby monkey.

Just then, Tholeau woke up and saw the three monkeys. He screamed, jumped up, and started to run away. But Papa monkey was quick, and he jumped on Tholeau and bit him on the shoulder.

ch3b5.jpg

Tholeau finally got away from the three monkeys and into the jungle, but died a few days later from a nasty infection.

THE END

A couple of additional pics:

The first build (12x12), uncropped and unedited:

zch3b1b.jpg

The final build from above, uncropped:

zch3b5a.jpg

I hoped you enjoyed this BoBS fairy tale. All C&C welcome!

Edited by Capt Wolf

Great story Capt Wolf and very well presented.

I like the way you've used wedges in the beach scene to represet the disturbed sand pushed to each side of the bow of the boat when it landed. The foliage in the monkey picture also looks lush and green. Great job and a definate contender for the win in my mind!

Nice story and great MOC's Captain Wolf. My fav is the pond itself.

Edited by narbilu

Hahaha, great story and a nice way to show wearing on clothes. Also a nice pond! But the story was continuing perfectly until it was very abruptly cut : "...but died a few days later from a nasty infection..."! We want moar! pirate_satisfied.gif

pirate_laugh_new.gif Great twist on Goldilocks. Some really nice vigs too, I especially like the ship wall on the first one. :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I appreciate that you've found so many different elements of this entry to comment on. Hopefully that means I'm doing something right! Thanks!

Great story Capt Wolf and very well presented.

I like the way you've used wedges in the beach scene to represet the disturbed sand pushed to each side of the bow of the boat when it landed. The foliage in the monkey picture also looks lush and green. Great job and a definate contender for the win in my mind!

Thanks for noticing the disturbed sand. I was very happy with how that turned out. As for the foliage, that is not one of my strengths, but it turned out ok in this one.

Nice story and great MOC's Captain Wolf. My fav is the pond itself.

Thanks! The pond was a sort of stream-of-consciousness build; I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.

Hahaha, great story and a nice way to show wearing on clothes. Also a nice pond! But the story was continuing perfectly until it was very abruptly cut : "...but died a few days later from a nasty infection..."! We want moar! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks! I've been looking for a way to work that "putting on a jacket" technique into a build. As for the ending, if I could have used more than five builds, that would have been different, but I wanted to have an ending more definitive than "he disappeared into the jungle never to be seen again." My oldest daughter suggested the monkey bite, so I reshot the last picture to fit.

pirate_laugh_new.gif Great twist on Goldilocks. Some really nice vigs too, I especially like the ship wall on the first one. :thumbup:

For some reason the "three islands" element to the challenge made me immediately think of doing a Goldilocks parody. And thanks for noticing the ship wall. The curvature didn't come through very well in the pics, but I'm happy with the effect in person.

So now we all just need to find a pond guarded by three monkeys ... should be possible

pirate_laugh_new.gif

Yes! In fact, my daughters insisted that I include a monkey in my other challenge build just for that reason! But you may notice that the other build doesn't have three monkeys, only one. pirate_wink.gif

Fountain of Youth, intelligent monkeys... and then reality steps in. Not how I expected it to end, but I find it darkly humorous. And I'm impressed by the builds, especially the small section of ship interior.

Great sery of builds, but my favoured part is defenitely the pyjama in the first image!

I'm really new to challenges, and perhaps I missed something, but is there a reason the head and hair pieces in the last build are different?

Awesome builds by the way. The jacket technique is fantastic! I love the ship interior too, very neat.

EDIT: Ahhh, fountain of youth, got it.

Edited by Mercury

Hilarious ending! No happily ever after round here; I always thought that was a pretty stupid ending to the Goldlilocks story anyway; burgle their house, steal their food and bed, but the bears just say 'uh, whatever, let's be friends Goldilocks'.

So much to love here, most of which has been commented on already. I am really enjoying these builds where a number of small vignettes are used to tell the story. Just to say that both me and my daughter enjoyed it a lot.

I have a feeling I have heard that story before... pirate_laugh2.gif

Great series of builds - all of them are very well done, but being partial to ship-mocs, the gun deck interior is probably my favourite, and the change of clothes is very well done! pirate_laugh_new.gif