Chade

[MOC] RC Airboat (that doesn't float!)

Hi there!

For my next MOC I wanted to do something different. I chose a RC Air Propelled Boat as it has some interesting functionality with the big propeller and the flaps at the back. As I love building things that move around, the boat can drive and steer as well (on wheels). Steering while going forwards works like a car driving backwards. Thus steering while driving backwards is a bit unrealistic for a boat.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Everything is scaled around the propeller, so I built the propeller setup first, then steering, drive & clutch, battery & lights then bodywork. I started off by using a lot of gears throughout the boat, however it was creating issues so I streamlined it as best I could using chains. I was also happy to finally add a clutch to one of my builds. Please note that this model doesn't float or is actually air powered. It would sink like a stone and destroy all PF components :)

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Features

- 2x L motors at 1:1.67

- 1x Servo

- functional propeller when driven

- functional flaps when steered

- functional door

- clutch

- battery access on side

- working lights

- 42Lx19Wx24H (in studs)

- 1003g

The design is fairly basic and there's no interesting connections throughout the build, but it ended up looking half decent. It's not based on anything specific, which made the design process easier. I would have preferred running the L motors at 1:3, but it was struggling a bit to move.

009.JPG

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

The servo stopped working halfway through this build so I have no video to show yet. I need to wait for lego to send a replacement. Instructions will be up on Rebrickable eventually.

EDIT: Video is now complete

Hope you like it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Chade

Nice job, maybe running the model on rims on a smooth floor would make it act like a real boat?

I wonder if trolley-like wheels in the front would make driving more realistic? Rear ones would have to driven in such case.

Nice MOC! but it's look like "Chibi"

Thanks kamal, by chibi do you mean too short?

Looks good!

Thanks pyro

Nice boat) I like that tiny black handle for accessing battery switch.

Thanks, I had to fiddle a bit with the bodywork so I could access the battery easily.

Nice job, maybe running the model on rims on a smooth floor would make it act like a real boat?

Once the servo is running again I'll give it a go. I'm hoping the model isn't too heavy.

I wonder if trolley-like wheels in the front would make driving more realistic? Rear ones would have to driven in such case.

I thought about different ways of doing the steering (like using a small turntable), but I came back to a standard steering mechanism at the back as it connected easily to the flaps. I know the steering isn't very realistic.

Edited by Chade

Thanks kamal, by chibi do you mean too short?

Maybe, but it can because it's too high too. Anyway, I like Chibi looking.

Edited by KamalMYafi

Nice work, I love the octan colours, especially with the green from the 24 hours car.

Thanks Nalyd, it didn't even occur to me that it's Octan colours, I was just using what I had available.

Maybe, but it can because it's too high too.

Ahh, okay then. Are you saying that the propeller is too high/big? There's many different types of airboats with different sized propellers (from what I've googled). I went with a larger sized propeller.

You could change the steering wheels to rear to make its movement more realistic

Thanks arshia, however the boat is steered with the rear wheels and driven by the front wheels. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I really need a video :)

It's great to see the video! Thanks for adding that. The movement is very realistic, and the details like the battery cover are excellent.

I do however think it would look good if the seat was in the same colours as the exterior.

It's great to see the video! Thanks for adding that. The movement is very realistic, and the details like the battery cover are excellent.

I do however think it would look good if the seat was in the same colours as the exterior.

Thanks for the comments SevenStuds. I never thought about the seat, I tend to go for different colours for the interior so there's contrast. I'm not sure what it would look like with octan colours (unfortunately it's disassembled so I can't check).

Very cool model! It moves like drift car ))))

Thanks desert752, though I think it's a bit heavy to drift properly :)

Its working well, almost looks like its running on water.

Another way to do it would be to have 4 free moving wheels like a supermarket trolley and one wheel or wheel rim that drives and steers.

It's nice to see folks stepping out of the norm and designing creative ideas. The no tires thing is genius

Its working well, almost looks like its running on water.

Another way to do it would be to have 4 free moving wheels like a supermarket trolley and one wheel or wheel rim that drives and steers.

Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately I don't think I have the experience to pull that off.

It's nice to see folks stepping out of the norm and designing creative ideas. The no tires thing is genius