kurigan

A Nautical Beat-Down: Fun with Custom Accessories

I’ve been working on my 3d modeling to make my own Lego compatible customs for some time. I finally got a production ready prototype back of my first model, my long talked about belaying pins. Well pardon the inherent promotion, but I had to take some real-world photos for my shapeways store and wound up having a bit too much fun with it. Here’s some images of a few mini-fig brigands making liberal use of my belaying pins to take it to a couple of marines who wouldn’t mind their own business.

20160707_231036_zpssi7n44sk.jpg

20160707_232229_zpsu1jjfkyk.jpg

That guy at the bottom of the last frame, he was handsome before this default_cry4.gif

Great customs! I myself use the Billy club that comes with Chief Wiggum in reddish brown as the belaying pins

Great customs! I myself use the Billy club that comes with Chief Wiggum in reddish brown as the belaying pins

aye, I tried those and where they sort-of look the part they lack the lower portion and just don't function like the real thing. This wasn't suppoused to be an advertisement though,so i'll leave off on that here. sorry :pir-blush: Thanks though!

The expressions in the last picture are spot-on. :thumbup:

Yar, that be Handsome Pete... :pir-grin:

Great photography and posing. :thumbup:

How many belaying pins will you need for each vessel?

I would assume that you painted yours. How difficult is it to make a bunch?

They are 3D printed, but Because Shapeways still has a limited color pallet, they come black. There is no brown on their list so it’s black, white or some color that would just look silly; though you could paint them. As things progress I may move production away from shapeways but for now they will serve me well as I build a catalog. Right now these pins are the only thing in my shop but there’s more on the way. Currently I have them in a 20 pack but if someone were really interested I could very simply make a larger or smaller pack to serve their purposes.

As for how many per ship it varies of course depending on the rig. On Ramcat I used 26 pins and Nonesuch, 42. For Blanid I’m trying to get away with a mere 30. Depending on the intricacy of your rig I’d guess about 20-30 per-mast.