Sign in to follow this  

Hello Everyone, Check this Air engine Out. We can all agree that Pneumatics wont do this. This Air engine is a recreation of the USS Monitor Steam Engine which is an early American War Ship that was built by Swedish American John Ericsson. This engine is pretty interesting with how it was designed to function. Its very elaborate engine design with opposed cylinder piston that functions a lever arm which is connected to a center crank shaft and it also is name the vibrating lever engine. It was such a neat build I made more then one videos to. I made another video where you see inside and can watch the cylinders move up and down.

Interesting engine, I have never seen one work like this.

Cool to see in motion,and a great replica of the functionality. I have been to the Newport News Mariners Museum, and have seen the actual engine and turret from the monitor in tanks to stabilize it from rusting out. There's also a full scale model of the Monitor there. There's a lot of cool models of the engine's operation, directional control, and the turret traversing gear there. It would be cool to make a large scale model of the entire vessel's mechanical operations, as nearly everything utilized the steam power to operate it. I think it would be possible to build a smaller scale model of this engine, as a full scale model based around this would be massive.

here's footage of the engine model (it's not mine)

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky