Sign in to follow this  
finnbricker

MOD/MOC: Modular Corner Deli 31050

I started work as soon as the set was released and now it has been standing idle for months, with some 10 pieces still missing, plus the interior... Who knows if it's ever going to be 100 % complete, so I might as well show you what I've got. This post http://www.eurobrick...5 from mid-January is where I started – Klaus-Dieter's excellent review got me inspired and I spent some hours on LDD to see what I could come up with, staying true to the original but sizing it up to become a full-scale modular at the same time.

So may I present to you the Modular Corner Deli, consisting of two 31050 sets plus extra bricks from BrickLink, PAB and my collection:

800x800.jpg

The upper floors are more or less a copy-paste version of the original façade. As long as the building doesn't get any higher or wider than this, I don't think it looks too repetitive or unimaginative. To alter the colours of the flowers gives some small variation to it, too. (Note that on the top floor, some pieces are still missing by the window.)

800x800.jpg

This side includes the entrance to the upper floors on the left. The soda (?) machine comes from Toy & Grocery Shop 31036 (I don't know about you but when I get multiples of some set in order to create something larger, as in this case the modular 31036, I tend to build the minibuilds and use them later for other creations to add details. I still have one ATM from Bike Shop & Café 31026 that waits for its placement...) and the rather generic postal box... wait, I don't even remember where it comes from! The fire hydrants are 31050 originals.

800x800.jpg

The bubble gum machine comes from Toy & Grocery Shop 31036. I wanted to keep both the original hamburger signs, so I simply placed them next to each other. To place them, or one of them, in the corner didn't look as nice to me, but I think they fit in well here. The entrance to the deli is on the right. Clumsy guy stands where the lamppost should be – I've run out of them for now.

The ground floor façade strongly derives from the upper floors with lots and lots of cheese bricks and a large amount of leftover dark orange bricks from my Town Hall 10224 enlargement project.

800x800.jpg

The back side is very plain. All those medium blue 1x2s from the PAB walls finally came in handy here! The back door leads to nowhere for now – I haven't finished the staircase and hallway and don't know whether I'll make it a backdoor to the hallway or to the deli.

800x557.jpg

The top floor. No real interior here – apart from the thanksgiving table from 40123 and the recliner from 40125.

800x652.jpg

800x638.jpg

The middle floor is furnished, though, thanks to the Big Bang Theory set 21302. I'm not a fan of the series, but I liked the minifigs (lots of special torsos) and all the detailed furniture, so this is where it went. It's a strange apartment, really – a study corner, a living room corner but no kitchen and no bedroom. Perhaps on the top floor some day?

800x800.jpg

800x532.jpg

The Deli isn't ready yet, either. The only part that has been completed, save for the floor tiling, is the kitchen. There will be a seating area for eat-in customers and maybe a toilet – depends on what I do with that backdoor.

I'd love to hear what you think. I'm happy with the façade and I hope to get inspired enough to complete the Deli interior. For the top floor, I'm not really that sure. Just another apartment – they're kind of boring in my opinion.

Edited by finnbricker

Very nice! I like the idea of alternating the flower beds to get some variation in the façade.

However, I think having the two sandwich signs right next to each other is kinda strange. I'd put one over each of the central doors on each side- sorta what you'd expect from a street sign.

The window design is very nice, and I like how you made the gumball machine. :thumbup:

Thanks! The gumball machine is not my own design, unfortunately. It comes from Toy & Grocery Shop 31036.

However, I think having the two sandwich signs right next to each other is kinda strange. I'd put one over each of the central doors on each side- sorta what you'd expect from a street sign.

You're right about the signs. They're easy to move, so I think I'll place on of them on the other side of the building. Thanks for the tip!

I've been working on my own version over the past week+. The basic list of materials is 2 of the sets (plus some of my already acquired parts.

Features: The Corner Deli shop, obviously, but seating is outside in a small paved courtyard. Single bathroom in the Deli. A small coffee shop next door. Residential entrance on the street side with stairs cutting through the coffee shop. I used a unique technique of bisecting the two shops with a diagonal wall partition. This allowed me to put wedge plate shelves in both establishments. As for the residence above, it's a small studio apartment, with a full galley kitchen and a full bathroom (shower only), with nice expanded balcony. I reused the "Murphy Bed" idea from the Parisian Café. Pictures on my Flickr page... HTTP://www.flikr.com/photos/legoman34/albums/72157673487915396 . I hope you all enjoy... More pictures of the finished MOC very soon.

Edited by Legoman34