mortesv

[MOC] 1: 250 Mini UCS Rebel Transport GR-75 [LDD file]

Just wanted to say mortesv this is an astonishing feat; not only is this an iconic ship that must be in any serious OT collection/display but I think you nailed the scale and number of parts as well. I am pretty loose with scales (i.e. my sandcrawler is only half the size of the official TLG release) and this one fits my build plan/budget perfectly. Love the white color as a choice (the Empire ships are nearly all grey so - I appreciate that the white blends better with many rebel starfighters and Tantive IV, etc) and the curves are excellent. I plan to build at least 2 for my Hoth base display. THANK you for providing the LLD file. This would have been a very tricky one to reverse-engineer from photos alone. 

A few years ago I could only have dreamed of making curvy ships like the MC-80 Home One, this transport GR-75 or even the J237 Nubian Royal Starship but seeing the ingenuity of the builders on these forums keeps the ambitious builds coming.

15 hours ago, darththeling said:

Just wanted to say mortesv this is an astonishing feat; not only is this an iconic ship that must be in any serious OT collection/display but I think you nailed the scale and number of parts as well. I am pretty loose with scales (i.e. my sandcrawler is only half the size of the official TLG release) and this one fits my build plan/budget perfectly. Love the white color as a choice (the Empire ships are nearly all grey so - I appreciate that the white blends better with many rebel starfighters and Tantive IV, etc) and the curves are excellent. I plan to build at least 2 for my Hoth base display. THANK you for providing the LLD file. This would have been a very tricky one to reverse-engineer from photos alone. 

A few years ago I could only have dreamed of making curvy ships like the MC-80 Home One, this transport GR-75 or even the J237 Nubian Royal Starship but seeing the ingenuity of the builders on these forums keeps the ambitious builds coming.

Thank you!

The fun part of building more than one is all the little variations you can make in terms of colours, container configuration etc..

Happy building!

I have recently ordered all the parts and the last Bricklink order for this moc will arrive for me later this week. I want to start a discussion on the build to see if the ship can be modified to support landing gear as we see in the recent EA Star Wars Battlefront game.

Wow what an amazing build...best I've seen of the iconic Rebel Transport!

I would like to build one myself...anyone have a recommendation on the best BrickLink store to be a one stop shop for all the parts?? A US seller might be best as well as I do not want to bust my budget on shipping. Thank you in advance for the help folks! 

Cheers

Only problem is now those 6192 pieces in white are like hens teeth. Mortesv, i have looked for other options, 6191 doesn't really look right side by side, have to be in grey i suppose.

12 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Part 6191 ( Brick, Modified 2 x 4 No Studs, Curved Top ) are a little scare but they are not expensive. Here is a Bricklink seller that that has the 4 you need:

http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?sID=179214&itemID=41162879#/shop?o={"invID":"41162879"}

That store is closed to the general public :)

I have 4 but was looking for more for perhaps a second, will probably do a grey mixed one

I have built three, two in white and one in Light Blue Gray. Pictures back on page 3 of this thread. I really liked the way the gray one turned out.

Finally got all my parts in for my GR-75 and now I have to try to recreate the magic of mortesv! I have a cool idea to add to the the total MOC layout. If it turns out the way I hope I will be sure to post for everybody! 

Well, after a couple of months of trawling Bricklink, I've just placed my final order so I should be able to build my own GR-75 shortly! :wub:

For anyone who's debating the challenge, it took 7 separate orders for the 865 parts (comprising 167 different part types!).  I'd strongly recommend looking at the parts list before you start buying; some are quite rare/expensive but most have cheaper alternatives (e.g. newer versions), and you might need to swap the odd colour(s) to minimise the pain involved!  I ended up doubling-up on some parts to make the orders a bit more sensible for the sellers; in total I ordered enough parts for about 1.3 of them for £96.25 including P&P.  So, it isn't the cheapest to build, but there could be one of those situations where economies of scale would work (e.g. if you're debating a fleet, source them all at once!).  Virtually all of my parts were new, so you could probably get it cheaper if you're happy to buy used.

I'll post some photos when everything has arrived...... 

And, before I forget, thanks to mortesv for sharing this masterpiece with our community.  I've had a look at the LDD file and it looks quite challenging to build, but hopefully it will be possible with a bit of determination! :laugh:

Great to hear @Lobot :)

The build is actually not that hard - but I have made it harder by not having any groups in my ldd files :)

Begin by "cutting" the model in half along the center line - try to find the place where the bricks with studs on side connect the two halves. Then take the bottom part and turn it upside down.

You can further subdivide the build from there, but having the two displayed separately with studs up should make everything more logical.

Happy building!

I have no clue how to work LDD properly but built one anyway just following the guide. Floating parts get put to one side, and I just assemble all the sections at the end and add the loose parts. It takes a while but I get there!

Agree with that NorvernRob......

I'm on step like 270 and have a lot of floating stuff all over...hope it all comes together at the end...??

6 hours ago, NorvernRob said:

I have no clue how to work LDD properly but built one anyway just following the guide. Floating parts get put to one side, and I just assemble all the sections at the end and add the loose parts. It takes a while but I get there!

Yes, LDD has an interesting approach to creating instructions - random floating parts don't seem that logical! :look:

I'm currently waiting for my last two Bricklink orders to be shipped but hopefully I'll receive them sometime next week. I'm almost tempted to try and build some of it in advance, but I'm still missing a few of the key parts so it's probably best to wait until I've got everything!  I've followed ecmo47's advice though, by removing both supports/stands from the file which should make it a bit easier to view....

And it begins.... my first part of a Rebel fleet!

I've reached step 71 of 300 (excluding the stand) and completed the main outer hull plates.  The photos I've seen of this really don't do it any sort of justice; the level of detail is nothing short of incredible! :wub: It's been straightforward so far, but the main section sections looks a little daunting... it could be quite interesting to get this all to fit together.  Thanks again to @mortesv for the LDD file.

I'm trying to post some pics tonight of my progress as well...agree 100% with you Lobot the detail is amazing and it's an awesome build! 

Not exactly the same as the LDD file but 99% the same and a small twist of some LED light to imitate the engines...I like it...got a few more things I'm adding to create a setting will update with pics as soon as I'm finished. Thanks again for the inspiration Mortsev

RenderedContent-D4B4B75D-3D22-44DB-98A0-FF24B4F89393.JPG

@Franchise52 That looks awesome! Now you need to figure out the bottom engines :)

What modifications are needed for it? What kind of lighting system did you use? I wouldn't mind doing this to my own 3 GR-75s :)

Well, after a lot of frustration, my GR-75 is gradually getting there! :wub:

The detailing on the underside is stunning, but it's also incredibly fragile!  I've re-built several sections 5-6 times - I'm not that co-ordinated and have annoyingly large hands which aren't a good combination in these sorts of circumstances!!  It's one of the most complex builds that I've attempted, partially due to LDD being totally illogical, but the end result is well worth the effort.

Following on from other comments in this thread, I strongly recommend that you construct the outer-hull plates first, delete them from the LDD file, and then re-generate the building guide.  You'll still get lots of floating parts, but if you build the sections in sequence, there's points where they'll link together via a plate etc - which makes it reasonably manageable.  The central section is quite delicate during the initial stages, but once you've added the main technic beams that run through the core, it's a lot easier.  Oh, and the engine design seems to be totally impossible unless I'm missing something, so I just removed the LBG & Black 1x1 studs and it still seems to hold together......

34904080422_c93fc13516_z.jpg

Looking good @Franchise52! this is something I hope I get around to some day :) :)

Great progress @Lobot, I admire your patience with the building guide tool, it drives me nuts :)

Big shout out to @mortesv for allowing us to build his GR-75 and to @ecmo47 for his modified LDD files which helped tremendously! And the rest for the tips!

I went ahead and built 2x GR-75s, one in white and the other in LBG.

35599159911_f76d5ed0b8_c.jpg

Now my small Rebel fleet is growing! :wub:

Nice job, Azrielsc! I particularly like your LBG one, it looks fantastic! :)

On 05/07/2017 at 10:44 PM, EKae said:

Nice job, Azrielsc! I particularly like your LBG one, it looks fantastic! :)

Much thanks, @EKae!

34929176444_efff6987a4_c.jpg

I followed the instructions as much as I could... Once done, I took a look at both ships and started swapping different colours so that they don't look exactly the same. Just built 1 Dornean Gunship (from your LDD :wink:) and am thinking of building another one so they can represent Braha'tok and Torktarak! I wonder where I can post photos of those 2! Haha!