mortesv

[MOC] 1: 250 Mini UCS Rebel Transport GR-75 [LDD file]

I'm about to order the pieces for 3 of these to go with my Nebulon-B. Could those of you who have built the model provide a summary on the updates to the LDD parts list, and guidance on how to generate the necessary building instructions? I'm not comfortable enough in LDD to extricate the various layers to see the hidden bits.

There are very few changes to the parts list I think, but I could update the ldd and send you that - although it is only a couple of bricks I have changed/added.

I never use LDD to create building instructions - simply put, it is a broken feature. I would suggest that while you wait for the bricks to arrive you play around with the model in ldd and learn the hide and select tools.

I can also make sure that the different sections are grouped which makes it much easier to select a part of the ship to build.

Btw, there are only two transports seen in the ESB Rebel fleet scene ;)

I'm about to order the pieces for 3 of these to go with my Nebulon-B. Could those of you who have built the model provide a summary on the updates to the LDD parts list, and guidance on how to generate the necessary building instructions? I'm not comfortable enough in LDD to extricate the various layers to see the hidden bits.

To generate a parts list with LDD, Use the following steps:

1. Open the GR-75 file in LDD. It will open up into the "building" mode.

2. Go to "file" in the upper left hand corner of the screen and click.

3. Scroll down to "Export BOM" and click. It's the last option above "exit"

4. Save to someplace where you can find it again.

5. Go to that saved place and open the Excel file created. It's actually pretty nice as it provides a thumbnail picture of the parts along with the part numbers.

Parts notes:

1. Change 42446 (minifg backplate with stud) to Light Blue Grey. You really only need 1.

2. Add 2x14719 (2x2 corner tile) to the list to cover up a hole near the back on the dorsal ridge. (Right below the cockpit)

3. Dont get stuck on the specific colors. For the Cargo boxes and bows, you can use Olive, Dark Orange, Dark Blue grey, Dark Green, Dark red, Dark Tan, Dark Blue and Metallic silver. All blend in very well. (Dont make extra bricklink orders just to get that one Dark Green tile!)

4. The Plate Hinges (4275/4276) can be any color. They are all hidden.

5. Drop #59230. I could not make it fit where LDD said it was to go.

6. Order a few more 52107's

I'm building one in LBG so I ordered LBG parts for everything that is white. Should be done by the weekend and we will see how it looks.

Mortesv: It can be easily argued that there were more transports. Yes there are only 2 in the opening Neb-B scene but you see them twice more as Luke and company look out the window. So either the ones seen early circled back around for another pass by the Neb or there were more which I believe is more logical. Fighters circle the fleet while protecting the cargo and capital ships not the trash haulers! So I believe that there were at least 4 that escaped Hoth (or joined up later).

(Wow, didn't think I was a Star Wars nerd!)

Edited by ecmo47

To generate a parts list with LDD, Use the following steps:

1. Open the GR-75 file in LDD. It will open up into the "building" mode.

2. Go to "file" in the upper left hand corner of the screen and click.

3. Scroll down to "Export BOM" and click. It's the last option above "exit"

4. Save to someplace where you can find it again.

5. Go to that saved place and open the Excel file created. It's actually pretty nice as it provides a thumbnail picture of the parts along with the part numbers.

Parts notes:

1. Change 42446 (minifg backplate with stud) to Light Blue Grey. You really only need 1.

2. Add 2x14719 (2x2 corner tile) to the list to cover up a hole near the back on the dorsal ridge. (Right below the cockpit)

3. Dont get stuck on the specific colors. For the Cargo boxes and bows, you can use Olive, Dark Orange, Dark Blue grey, Dark Green, Dark red, Dark Tan, Dark Blue and Metallic silver. All blend in very well. (Dont make extra bricklink orders just to get that one Dark Green tile!)

4. The Plate Hinges (4275/4276) can be any color. They are all hidden.

5. Drop #59230. I could not make it fit where LDD said it was to go.

6. Order a few more 52107's

I'm building one in LBG so I ordered LBG parts for everything that is white. Should be done by the weekend and we will see how it looks.

Mortesv: It can be easily argued that there were more transports. Yes there are only 2 in the opening Neb-B scene but you see them twice more as Luke and company look out the window. So either the ones seen early circled back around for another pass by the Neb or there were more which I believe is more logical. Fighters circle the fleet while protecting the cargo and capital ships not the trash haulers! So I believe that there were at least 4 that escaped Hoth (or joined up later).

(Wow, didn't think I was a Star Wars nerd!)

Well, I believe there are actually dozens of transports in the Rebel fleet :) I just point out that we only see two in the fleet shot - which is the shot I am trying to recreate :)

Regarding the 2 x 2 corner tiles. I have tired that as well, but the only way it looks good is if the tiles next to them are "hovering" - as seen in the ldd. In real life I have pushed them down to the base to avoid the gap between them at the base. I still haven't decided what looks best - the gap next to the last tile or the gap below all the tiles. Oh, and mixing a matching does not look good :)

Lastly, the color of the cargo boxes can be anything that are not too bright. However, I suggest letting one of the transports use the colors of the LDD version - since those colors are based directly on the movie version :)

Thank you both for the summarized information. Obviously there is some personalization going on based on aesthetic preferences. :)

What color for the 2x2 corner tiles, white?

Edited by phaelon

Thank you both for the summarized information. Obviously there is some personalization going on based on aesthetic preferences. :)

What color for the 2x2 corner tiles, white?

Yes :)

I finished up 2 more GR-75's this weekend while still waiting for all the parts for the Neb-B. I had a lot of fun tweaking and personalizing Mortesv's great design. I made one in Light Blue Grey and am happy with the look. In the end, I made three separate LDD files which really smoothed out the construction process. The first file was the five hull sections. Second was the frame minus the greeble and the third was greeble only. This method reduced the "floating parts" syndrome to almost nil. I made many internal changes to strengthen various points as needed. I also came up with 2 major engine modifications that was was very pleased with. I will detail those in a separate post. I forget to add the Falcon to the photo shoot but the 3 transports hold their own very well!

27907866973_001ea0ae4b_c.jpgDSC01624 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

28523555305_6fd155e121_c.jpgDSC01621 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

27907903083_af0674551e_c.jpgDSC01616 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

28491812746_d3e700e6a7_c.jpgDSC01614 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Great job ecmo! They look beautiful together, good call with one in grey :)

The top engine mod is actually something I tried out last week ;) The bottom one look interesting, using the palm tree trunk brick, but I am not sure it is something I would do

But it is great to see these ships get personalized! The Rebel fleet is all about making things work in a hurry and ships seldom follow their blueprints for long :)

Edited by mortesv

I finished up 2 more GR-75's this weekend while still waiting for all the parts for the Neb-B. I had a lot of fun tweaking and personalizing Mortesv's great design. I made one in Light Blue Grey and am happy with the look. In the end, I made three separate LDD files which really smoothed out the construction process. The first file was the five hull sections. Second was the frame minus the greeble and the third was greeble only. This method reduced the "floating parts" syndrome to almost nil. I made many internal changes to strengthen various points as needed. I also came up with 2 major engine modifications that was was very pleased with. I will detail those in a separate post. I forget to add the Falcon to the photo shoot but the 3 transports hold their own very well!

A nice fleet you have! :classic:

I do'nt understand the need of separate LDD files... Why not use groups and hide/show them when needed?

Bob: I made seperate LDD files because that is what I know how to do to make things work. I'm not very good at either the "group" function or the show/hide function. I understand the principle of the group function for building but how does it manifest itself during the "build" phase? Will it build that entire group before jumping (at random, it seems) to a different area? Also, how would you group something as complicated as the greeble area? For me, it took only 15 minutes (or less) to open the file, delete off the sections that I didnt want, Save As a new file, and then build that area.

Well... For example I'll make a group with the upper-left hull, upper-right hull, top hull, lower hull (and all the greebles), and for each group I can do smaller sub-groups with the nose, the greebles, etc... When building, I'll just select the group or subgroup I want to build, use the "invert selection" tool and select the hide tool. That way only the subgroup I want is still visible.

But everyone has its method. Use what seems the best for you :wink:

As Bob said, everyone has their own way of using LDD. I like just picking the model a part, no matter the size, and build the different sections. I know how to use the tool more effective than that. I just like to build that way - like I am discovering the model again, by slowly picking it apart.

I built the Medical Frigate this way - it took a loooong time :)

Thanks for the LDD Tutorial. I'll play around with it more and try to advance my skills.

As promised here are some mods that I did to the engines. This one is to replace the clip that holds on the outer top engine. Basically, it replaces the 1x1 with clip (part # 2555) with part # 11458 (modified 1x2 plate with Pin hole).This part comes in 5 colors: Black, DBG, Red, Reddish-Brown, and White. I didn't have any white ones on hand but will mod the two white whales when those parts come in. In this picture the 2x4 plate and 1x8 plate have been removed. The 2x4 area is filled in around the 1x1 tile which will be under the tail of Part 11458.

28523656365_466d344257_c.jpgDSC01595 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Next add a 1x6 plate, the pin hole plate, and the 1x2 slope 45 assemble.

28240090330_d6a9ce6d7c_c.jpgDSC01596 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Next layer is two 1x2 slopes, two 1x2 plates with slide rail, and a 1x2 tile. Also pictured is my slightly modified section that goes behind the inner engine.

28417928172_d8e66b6a73_c.jpgDSC01598 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Modified inner engine with 5.5 rod in the middle

28445921241_7b160c3c28_c.jpgDSC01600 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Modified outer engine.

28523633485_6a155ec8cc_c.jpgDSC01601 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Finished. It might be possible to do the same technique on the inner engine but the tail of the plate will interfer with sloping hull on both sides so would not be an easy mod.

28523623375_5976e28f28_c.jpgDSC01603 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Mod to the bottom engines. It's not necessary to use a donut hole 1x1 round plate but if you use a regular plate, the 1x1 barrel will not seat against the 2x2 plate as seen on the assembled engine.

28240052140_4a4d646b35_c.jpgDSC01606 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

Great walkthrough ecmo! I did this mod last week:

IMG_3561_zps0hhzujed.jpg

I have a lot of 11458 in white, I can send you some if you need :)

Such an awesome creation, mortesv! Somehow you succeeded in creating an UCS model in such a relatively small scale. The shaping and amount of detail is just spot on. What amazes me most is how some parts both have a function in shaping and detailing the ship: they're multitasking! The wedge plates and bricks are a good example. Obviously, they're needed to create the adequate shape. But at the same time they have those notches in the side that often ruin the look of a ship, but here function as details. They give the gap that extra jagged edge and do it on a small scale too, so that the eye is tricked in thinking this model is bigger than it actually is.

I would already be happy when I could make a single part multitask, but in your creation those kind of parts are everywhere! The use of different bows is another example. Of course you need variety to achieve the right shape, but using different bows means an inevitable ridge on the transition, which tends to make ships more blocky and less realistic. In your ship though, those ridges are what give it extra realism because you intently use them to give the characteristic ribbed texture to the hull. The same goes for the small engine cylinders. That ridge when you stack 1x1 round bricks is usually a nuisance, but in this creation they again function to give extra texture and detail. Even the antistuds visible from the bottom help to give the ship the worn-down personality it needs. I think it's incredible how much you think about every aspect of every part to find the perfect piece for a job. I'm humbled by your understanding of the bricks, and it's an ability that makes me question my own knowledge of even the most basic bricks.

The result is an amazing creation that looks quite authentic too because it seems to use only fairly simple bricks. However, there are some nice surprised on closer inspection, like the use of the arched window in the back purely for structural reasons. Again, you use every single aspect about it like its central opening and the small extensions on the side to fill in every hole. Absolutely elegant and genius solution! The greebles in the gap and around the engines blend in perfectly as well because you surround them by more beefy brick built structures that flow into them, so that the more "advanced" pieces don't look out of place in a model that uses mostly "basic" bricks.

Another thing that is so inspiring about your creations, is how much attention to pay to details in barely visible areas. There are those greebles in the gap, but what stuns me more when I inspect the digital model, is that there are details shimmering through the beautiful forest of containers as well! They bring layers to the detail that make it look like a fully formed ship and not just an outer hull. It is clear that you take no shortcuts in your models (you don't even make them symmetrical), which speaks of your dedication to quality. This model shows once again that you're a genuine artist. Your creations weren't built for show: you care about way more than what the people will see and say online. You just want to create good MOCs, and that results in these combinations of pieces that look like they were meant to be put together this way. It results in a creation we can admire, but not fully understand, with all of the untold stories of your struggles and decisions. That's what puts them on the same level as some of the best paintings or sculptures: it's not a show, it's something that comes from a person's heart.

Thank you for sharing this creation. I couldn't imagine a better topic to write my 1000th post on this wonderful community in, because it represents everything this forum stands for. In this topic you have a great creation and a great conversation. Great bricks and great people.

9223072399_3ef10becf7_o.png

Thanks for the blog post BEAVeR! YAY!

And many many thanks for all the kind words, you make me blush :)

Can I just say that, of all your creations, I find this the most singularly brilliant? The shape is just perfect. I only wish you'd attempt one in a larger scale just so we could see you do an interior.

2 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Can I just say that, of all your creations, I find this the most singularly brilliant? The shape is just perfect. I only wish you'd attempt one in a larger scale just so we could see you do an interior.

Thank you! It was the most simple to desing and build by far. When designing it in ldd, it almost built itself. At this size finding the right bricks with the right curves came naturally :)

If you are looking for a large scale version, you should check out Cavegod's Transport :)

1 hour ago, Schneeds said:

I love that transport, possibly more than the Nebulon :D

I think all the ships looks really well together :) My favourite alway changes to the ship I built last, so right now it is the entire fleet ;)

This really is perfect! Can't fault anything with this. Always has been one of my favourite ships. 

I've just completed this build - it is awesome!  It is a simple build with the majority of parts very easily acquirable (especially noting you've lots of freedom around the greeble colour).  The build is slow to take shape but once the whole thing comes together... oh boy!  Amazing curves, great detail and a surprisingly solid (almost swoosh-able) model.  

Mortesv, you are a genius and a gentleman for providing the LDD file.  And thanks too to ecmo47's for his helpful input.

I've now got a crate full on Nebulon-B parts to start connecting. 

13 hours ago, lvassa said:

I've just completed this build - it is awesome!  It is a simple build with the majority of parts very easily acquirable (especially noting you've lots of freedom around the greeble colour).  The build is slow to take shape but once the whole thing comes together... oh boy!  Amazing curves, great detail and a surprisingly solid (almost swoosh-able) model.  

Mortesv, you are a genius and a gentleman for providing the LDD file.  And thanks too to ecmo47's for his helpful input.

I've now got a crate full on Nebulon-B parts to start connecting. 

Thank you - and good luck with the Neb!

By the way - all my ships can be swooshed - if the don't mind a few greebles fying off in the process ;)

heyhey

I haven't posted in a while. But then I saw this somewhere on the internet and I knew I would surely find it in here and I did.. and this is truly beautiful!

thank you for embarking on this project. the rebel transport is one of the most unique ships designed but sadly didn't get much air time.

and I'm not sure if this is gonna make sense. I always think the scale at which ships are built in, has a certain relationship to the lego parts available. Big jumbo creations are cool but bigger doesn't always mean they are best. There is that special scale when the project just feels perfect, as in the build is at the ideal, optimum almost spiritual right scale with lego pieces.

I'm not good at articulating this thought, but your creation is just that, not too small to lose details.. but not too big to be inefficient.

this is super. thanks for making my day! =)

keep on building! =)

Edited by icemann

On 12/13/2016 at 6:31 AM, icemann said:

heyhey

I haven't posted in a while. But then I saw this somewhere on the internet and I knew I would surely find it in here and I did.. and this is truly beautiful!

thank you for embarking on this project. the rebel transport is one of the most unique ships designed but sadly didn't get much air time.

and I'm not sure if this is gonna make sense. I always think the scale at which ships are built in, has a certain relationship to the lego parts available. Big jumbo creations are cool but bigger doesn't always mean they are best. There is that special scale when the project just feels perfect, as in the build is at the ideal, optimum almost spiritual right scale with lego pieces.

I'm not good at articulating this thought, but your creation is just that, not too small to lose details.. but not too big to be inefficient.

this is super. thanks for making my day! =)

keep on building! =)

Thank you!

I think I know what you mean :) Actually my philosophy when building the Medical Frigate which was the first ship in my fleet was to build as big and detailed as possible while getting the maximum potential out of the bricks. The scale I found was 1 : 250 - making that ship 120 cm long. When building the rest of the fleet I naturally wanted to keep that scale and to my luck everything just clicked - both with the Blockade Runner and the Transport, and even with the smaller ships. Building at this scale many of the solutions come very naturally and the amount of detail possible is crazy :)