mortesv

[MOC] 1: 250 Mini UCS Rebel Transport GR-75 [LDD file]

I present to you the backbone of the Rebel Alliance – the GR-75 Rebel Transport:

After having tweaked and tweaked my last MOC (Medical Frigate) and built a fleet of fighters and smaller ships for it, I wanted to build something bigger - but in the same scale. I chose the beautiful, organic looking 90-meters long, Rebel Transport.

The Medical Frigate can be seen here:

http://www.eurobrick...pic=129607&st=0

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=131170

The Transport is the workhorse of the Rebel alliance, transporting equipment from base to base. The ship can house dozens of odd sized containers kept in place by strong magnetic locks. The Transport, like so many other Rebel ships, have a very organic and beat up look – getting this look right was the biggest challenge when designing the moc.

The scale of the model is 1: 250 meaning it is built at 2 meters per stud. Thus the Transport is 45 studs long. Building the most detailed 45 stud version of the ship was my main goal. Based on pictures of the movie model I calculated the width and curvature of the ship – I fired up LDD and began building.

What I ended up with was an 850+ brick model made up of 150+ brick types:

jK8anoh.png

The Transport takes flight!

4zOXVEX.png

Front view. In this picture the curvature of the ship is very pronounced. To my luck the range of curved bricks fit perfectly with curvature of the ship. When placed along a central spine they further underline the lines the Transport has across the hull. Don’t mind the small hole in the front – one of the hinges is slightly too bent.

E1uwaOq.png

Top view. I have mostly used white 1 x 4 curved slopes to get the proper shape. However, to get the dirty, rugged look of the ship, I have mixed in a number of different colors and other curved slopes.

r5yfMeX.png

The Cargo. The GR-75 can carry a LOT of containers. Creating this part of the ship was kind of a chore but also very fun. At this scale I had just enough resolution to attempt recreating every single cargo container and detail from the studio model. I found a picture of the model showing the bottom up and began mapping every container pipe and greeble I could. I recreated it all with bricks of matching colors, pipes, taps and odd shaped pieces. The end result matches the haphazard stacking of the studio model – I’m glad I put the magnetic locks in place… :)

DT3HVdw.png

Containers from the back. As with the Medical Frigate, one of the challenges was creating a sturdy non-interfering stand. With this ship one of the stands is placed in the middle of the containers. However I did not want to sacrifice even a single compartment so I found a workaround using transparent wall pieces. The slim piece is fitted snugly in between a number of containers and is just connected via two studs – but it seems to hold :)

VLaWWMG.png

Container close up. They are all there :)

YmattXq.png

Starboard profile view. This angle reveals the slight sloping of the hull towards the rear end of the ship. The curving effect was achieved by a number of plate hinges and four sections with slightly different angles.

0pigguh.png

Port profile view. The profile views show the gap between the top and bottom hull plates. This gap has a jagged effect on the studio model – conveyed here by 1 x 1 and 1 x 2 plates.

QeV4Mw0.png

Side detail. Yes, there is actually detailing in the narrow gap between the hull plates. Again, the greebling is based on looking at the studio model – and on what was possible in such a small area :)

fzWxNnd.png

Engine view. As always, one of my favorite parts of a ship. Getting all the engines to fit in there was a bit of a challenge.

2l5bNel.png

Rear view. As the Transport flies out of focus the uneven surface is again evident. The Transport has a very small command/deflector module - the little thing on top of the spine. To be in scale this module should actually be about half a stud smaller – even smaller than a B-wing cockpit section. However, the 2,5 stud test I did, did not look very good :)

myaJnrB.png

Lastly a scale comparison with the Medical Frigate – and the rest of the rebel fleet :)

Thanks to all the supporters of the Medical Frigate project, you have helped make this model possible!

Everyone can get the LDD for the Rebel Transport here:

https://www.dropbox..../GR-75.lxf?dl=0

Enjoy and please comment!

Edited by mortesv

Outstanding! I was hoping it was that ship or a Blockade runner. (hint - hint)!

Well, back to the parts pile to see what I got.

Outstanding! I was hoping it was that ship or a Blockade runner. (hint - hint)!

Well, back to the parts pile to see what I got.

Hehe, that's the idea. However, I am having a kid in a few days, so it might be awhile before I get around to it :)

Wow, once again you build a fantastic ship - I love this 'little' chap - looks like its flown straight out of the film....brilliant!

Marvelous! You've done an outstanding shaping work, I love how the curved surfaces border on the finely greebled underside, and also the choice of different colors to recreate the rusty/distressed appearance of the ship. A fantastic addition to your rebel fleet (and probably to the shelves of many SW enthusiasts!) :classic:

Wow! Wonderful! I never noticed the cargo hull was open on the bottom like it is in your model since it was never seen at that angle on film. That helps prove your attention detail.

Beautiful work, mortesv! :wub: I think you've found the perfect balance between the gentle curves and the cobbled-together texture of the hull.

However, I am having a kid in a few days, so it might be awhile before I get around to it :)

Congratulations!

So lovely! So much want! :)

Love the greebling/detailing! Would be a great addition to the Medical Frigate for sure.

I think that's considered Midi-scale instead of mini UCS.

Well, there actually is no such thing as "Mini UCS" :)

However, at 45 studs and 850+ bricks it has the size of a proper play set - much larger than the official midi sets.

The reason I call it "mini UCS" is mainly due to the level of detail :)

Beautiful work, mortesv! :wub: I think you've found the perfect balance between the gentle curves and the cobbled-together texture of the hull.

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Don't know if it's just me, but the groups are all empty!

Are you referring to the groups in the LDD? Well, it was such a small model so I didn't get around to it. It is a very easy build though :)

Can't beat making a human MOC, Mortesv!

Congrats on parenthood! :classic:

Thank you :)

Man, you've got tallent ! Thank you for sharing +++

Thank you and no problem :) Are you going to build this as well? - I mean, it is not even 1000 bricks ;)

Thank you and no problem :) Are you going to build this as well? - I mean, it is not even 1000 bricks ;)

I know I will be building several of these, because with all the scale models you've put together this will make a great diorama. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Wow, that amount of detail at such a small scale is an impressive feat. That group shot with all the fleet is coming along very nicely!

Holy floating sub-sections! In typical LDD fashion, step 1 is to build some of the engines that I don't think get attached until the very end. After looking through the plans, I think I'll start around step 200 to build the frame to which all attaches.

Holy floating sub-sections! In typical LDD fashion, step 1 is to build some of the engines that I don't think get attached until the very end. After looking through the plans, I think I'll start around step 200 to build the frame to which all attaches.

Yes, what I have experienced with managing the building instructions to generate coherently, unconnected pieces or assemblies will always be the first step of the guide, even if they are grouped too. They probably could be easily connected with open, round plates with a bar through them.

*EDIT* I just realized that there are studs inside the middle ring element, which is physically impossible. It could otherwise be done with these elements:

18654.jpg

61184.gif

4274.gif

2817.t1.png

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture