polarstein

[MOC] Monorail station & sushi grill

Hi all

Here's another new MOC. Moving away from residential buildings but keeping the style with black, white and grey boxes with a lot of glass to provide a contemporary/modern design, my latest building is a monorail station with a sushi and fish restaurant. :grin: The big "M" of the city's fast monorail network isn't just attracting many commuters every day but also sushi and fish lovers all over town.

27980649721_7cccd13024_c.jpg

Monorail station & sushi grill by Polar Stein, on Flickr

During first week of opening, a student in a shark costume was hired to attract commuters and passengers walking by.

27980639961_38accfb369_z.jpg

The entire building is on pillars. At street level (ground floor) there is a disabled parking space and parking space for bikes. The small sushi and fish restaurant extends over first and second level, accessible via stairs and the elevator. At first level there are also restrooms. The second level connects to the monorail station (right end of the building) and is accessible both via stairs and the elevator. A small roof terrace on top of the restaurant provides views over the city.

28057839675_1effb84d0c_z.jpg

The monorail station entrance has a vending machine providing cool drinks, which is especially handy if you're sweating away in a suit.

28023758526_179a9b17a1.jpg

"The train now approaching platform 1 is the 14:47 Brickston Monorail service to East End calling at Scorpion House and Dark Age Road. Please mind the gap between train and platform ..."

28057842125_8028426a6d_z.jpg

The red bricks in the actual platform is a less-than-ideal solution in absence of grey bricks. The monorail train is supposed to be red though :wink:. More pictures including interiors and the connection to a simple monorail platform can be found on my flickr page https://flic.kr/s/aHskzjsG2r.

Comments and critique, things to improve etc. more than welcome!

Cheers,

Polarstein

You continue to impress with your very distinct architectural style! I really like the sushi bar with those parking lots underneath and the monorail locomotive is really neat as well. The fern in the black plant pot looks great and the street lantern with security cameras is another cool detail! :classic::thumbup:

Great, I love the combination of the different structures, especially that elevator shaft built with Technic bricks - for whatever reasons you don't see that very often in Town surroundings. Also the details are very nice, among them that vending machine. Great use of the shark man, too.

However, I'm a bit curious regarding the monorail - are you going to build a larger structure with it? And is the whole layout situated in the near future rather than nowadays? Would love to see how the buildings go together.

Anyway, great job! :thumbup:

Great job, there are some really nice details hidden around the models well, such as the person with them camamera in the window.

You continue to impress with your very distinct architectural style! ...

Thanks, appreciated!

Great job, there are some really nice details hidden around the models well, such as the person with them camamera in the window.

Thanks!

Great, I love the combination of the different structures, especially that elevator shaft built with Technic bricks - for whatever reasons you don't see that very often in Town surroundings. [...]

However, I'm a bit curious regarding the monorail - are you going to build a larger structure with it? And is the whole layout situated in the near future rather than nowadays? Would love to see how the buildings go together.

Thanks ER0L!

I picture this all in today's world as there isn't anything which couldn't exist already in terms of structures or architectual design. It's a rather simple concept overall, however I like clean boxes without any textures. The only problem is that I find it very difficult to get good pictures from the parts in black.

On the monorail: nope, no larger structure planned, I have nothing from the official monorail stuff apart from eight pillars :wink: I just did a small platform building with the remaining bricks I had, which turned out quite ugly due to necessary color substitutions when I ran out of bricks. I have great respect for those guys building trains which can move around. Here are two pictures showing the structure:

27984547241_3ea42ea23a.jpg

27444145544_21c6fc1681.jpg

I think I will soon rip it all apart, buy a few more white and grey bricks and do another modern building with intersecting boxes :grin:

Cheers,

Andreas

This is a great build. After looking over the photos for a bit I cannot see where the monorail actually enters the building as it does in the final picture. Could you post a pic of how/where it enters the building as it has me perplexed.

This is a great build. [...] Could you post a pic of how/where it enters the building as it has me perplexed.

Thanks. The confusion may come from the train itself which is just a small dummy max 15 studs long and I have changed it's orientation for different pics. The first picture in my second post with a view from the top shows that the monorail track (also just a dummy) is at a 90 degree angle relative to the restaurant front and street. Sorry I don't have other pics at the moment. Does that help already?

Wow, it looks bigger than on previous pictures. Looks great overall :)

Thanks, wasn't too sure about the platform building where the actual monorail enters as I had to make a few compromises. That's why I didn't connect it permanently to the station entrance with the restaurant.

Good to get some feedback, thanks for looking and your comments. I'll need to consider how I use the elevator in another building then before I rip it apart.