Sign in to follow this  
Transparency for Effect

Is "importing" on iTunes worth the risk of removal?

I am fully aware that "importing" purchases from another country's iTunes store by making a second Apple account and using that country's gift cards goes against Apple's user agreement.

"The Service is available to you only in the United Kingdom. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location. iTunes may use technologies to verify your compliance."

So I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of getting my import account and purchases potentially removed after hypothetically pouring in a lot of money from gift cards because they found out. I've already been utilizing an American iTunes account but have only downloaded free things so far (for what it's worth, I only intend to download shows I can't purchase elsewhere, including in my own country's iTunes), and have recently updated my iTunes. The purchases fall into the same library as my own country's. And it'd also be nice to know what technologies, if any, are actually used to detect this importing.

Personally, I would not want to take the risk. Then again, I avoid apple in general... :wink:

There's probably some licensing thing that allows them to detect which files were purchased in which region.

You could maybe try manually adding your foreign files into iTunes rather than a direct Import but honestly I wouldn't risk it if you want to keep everything else in your library.

I've done this myself a few times and I've never had a problem. Maybe Apple will try to do something against you when you do this frequently, I'm not sure.

You are probably better off asking on the official Apple support forums here- https://discussions....unity/tutorials this is a Lego forum!

I'm a little afraid to essentially say "how can you tell if I've done this terms-breaking action" with an a precious purchase-filled Apple account.

Personally, I would not want to take the risk. Then again, I avoid apple in general... :wink:

Unfortunately, where else can I legally purchase non-physically released shows and movies without weird offline viewing restrictions or relation to a Playstation console I don't own?

You are not legally purchasing these shows from Apple, either. You know that, because you know that you are violating their TOS.

Are the TOS completely stupid? Yes, of course they are. That doesn't change the underlying legal issues.

You want an example of even worse?

I legally buy an import copy of a CD, say from Japan, here in the US, and upload it onto my iTunes. If I have ever activated the newer Music sharing stuff, even just a free trial period, then cancelled, Apple can go in and delete my legally purchased and uploaded songs from their servers AND MY DEVICES.

Yeah. Wrap your head around that one. Don't trust Apple if you want to buy stuff from outside your region. I had HUGE problems with my and my wife's accounts when I moved between US and Japan. She's Japanese and only wants stuff from the Japanese iTunes, but legally can't because our billing address is not in Japan any more. She can't even access the stuff she bought legally from the Japanese iTunes Store any more since we moved.

This is the problem with cloud services and purchases of non-physical media. They can do whatever they want with your stuff by changing the TOS.

This has been my policy, too, and after reading rollermonkey's comment, I don't regret it!

Of course, I generally keep my stuff off the cloud. Call me old school, but I like to physically own a disk or movie or album, then rip the content from there.