Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2017 - Set Discussion

43 minutes ago, Amazing Bricks said:

Yep, the pre-order exclusive :sweet:

Cheers :) is it only with certain retailers at all do you know? Amazon has no mention of it sadly.

1 hour ago, Captain Britain said:

Cheers :) is it only with certain retailers at all do you know? Amazon has no mention of it sadly.

I tweeted  Arthur Parsons recently about the U.K. pre-orders hes says more information will be released soon.

9 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Is the Helicarrier retiring? I’m looking through the new catalog and it says “LAST CHANCE!” in yellow lettering underneath the product description. 

I think it is.

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place, but a quick question. The Doctor Strange set is currently  £24 (down from £30) near me. I plan to moc a better version at somepoint and was wondering if anyone knows whether itd be better to grab a couple now, or just buy the individual special parts/stickers as I need them.

3 minutes ago, GeekByKnight said:

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place, but a quick question. The Doctor Strange set is currently  £24 (down from £30) near me. I plan to moc a better version at somepoint and was wondering if anyone knows whether itd be better to grab a couple now, or just buy the individual special parts/stickers as I need them.

Last I checked on Lego Shop at home US, it was under the retiring soon category, so maybe it is a good time to pick a few up.

15 minutes ago, AmericaLego said:

Last I checked on Lego Shop at home US, it was under the retiring soon category, so maybe it is a good time to pick a few up.

It's retired on the UK site. But going through the inventory of the set, the pieces seem pretty generic. Maybe the one I have will be enough for the parts I need.

Sooo... harkening way back to my earlier complaints about Loki's costume color in the Sakaar set... I've done a lot of visual inspection of every snippet of marketing, promos, and leaks of Ragnarok material, and I can confidently say: the costume Lego has chosen for Loki accurately matches what he wears for some– but not all– of the movie.

Based on what I've seen, Loki has (at least) 3 costumes in Thor: Ragnarok:

1. The first is an alteration of his outfits from previous films.  It uses a similar jacket/trenchcoat to the one he had in Avengers and Thor: The Dark World, which is seen on his previous Lego figure.  Underneath the jacket, however, is a very different shirt.  Rather than the constructed leather-and-latex garment he had in those films, here he has a simpler, unusual, low-cut v-neck shirt. This is apparently the outfit he wears both while impersonating Odin, and then while assisting Thor in trying to find Odin (Act 1 of the film).
  2. The second look is faithfully represented by Lego figure. This is the outfit Loki wears on Sakaar. It has a series of crosscutting BLUE (absolutely and unambiguously blue under multiple lighting conditions) leather strips, a cape that is bright yellow on the inside but dark blue on the outside, a dark blue collar, and purple sleeves sheathed in blue armor. Importantly, this outfit has a "belt buckle" that is made of a gold metal with a green paint application, and a "skirt section" extending down roughly a foot below the "buckle". 
  3. The third outfit is the one he wears upon his return to Asgard. This outfit was causing all my confusion, because it's constructed almost identically to the second outfit.  However, this one uses BLACK leather (again, unambiguously, there are different shots with different lighting), a single layered green cape, a green collar, and black sleeves sheathed in green armor.  There are a few differences that make it obvious that this is a separate costume, apart from trying to tell apart a deep blue and black.  First, the cape is obvious; it's uniform in color rather than patterned, and the colors look nothing alike.  Second, the buckle is different.  While it has the same shape, it's made of a matte material rather than metallic, it is black, and has no distinct painted middle area.  Third, this outfit is missing the "skirt section" that the second costume had, and it instead ends immediately below the belt.
  4. Additionally, he has an Earth disguise during Act 1 of the film, but I'm ignoring that here.

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing that the film won't draw any attention to the differences between the second and third outfit. Presumably nobody will comment on it, we won't see him change, etc. In-universe, maybe they're even supposed to be the same outfit with an ambiguous color or maybe Loki's using his illusion powers!  But at least behind the scenes, Loki has a distinguishably different outfit while on Sakaar and upon his return to Asgard.

Furthermore, it appears at least one toy company got word of this difference.  Funko's "Adorbz" line of toys features two paint applications of similar figures, with one getting blue and the other black.  Their version of the third outfit isn't entirely accurate (e.g. wrong buckle color, buckle includes paint, helmet has gray areas instead of green areas, etc.), but it is different enough that I'm confident that they were told/saw a distinction between the two looks.

Bringing it back to Lego, their figure appears to have the correct color scheme and details for the appropriate part of the movie– Loki is in the arena during the fight, he's wearing outfit #2 at the time, and Lego's colors are correct on outfit #2!

Personally, I prefer Outfit #3 to Outfit #2, but I can't blame Lego for being accurate to the film!

1 hour ago, N_Cat said:

Sooo... harkening way back to my earlier complaints about Loki's costume color in the Sakaar set... I've done a lot of visual inspection of every snippet of marketing, promos, and leaks of Ragnarok material, and I can confidently say: the costume Lego has chosen for Loki accurately matches what he wears for some– but not all– of the movie.

Based on what I've seen, Loki has (at least) 3 costumes in Thor: Ragnarok:

1. The first is an alteration of his outfits from previous films.  It uses a similar jacket/trenchcoat to the one he had in Avengers and Thor: The Dark World, which is seen on his previous Lego figure.  Underneath the jacket, however, is a very different shirt.  Rather than the constructed leather-and-latex garment he had in those films, here he has a simpler, unusual, low-cut v-neck shirt. This is apparently the outfit he wears both while impersonating Odin, and then while assisting Thor in trying to find Odin (Act 1 of the film).
  2. The second look is faithfully represented by Lego figure. This is the outfit Loki wears on Sakaar. It has a series of crosscutting BLUE (absolutely and unambiguously blue under multiple lighting conditions) leather strips, a cape that is bright yellow on the inside but dark blue on the outside, a dark blue collar, and purple sleeves sheathed in blue armor. Importantly, this outfit has a "belt buckle" that is made of a gold metal with a green paint application, and a "skirt section" extending down roughly a foot below the "buckle". 
  3. The third outfit is the one he wears upon his return to Asgard. This outfit was causing all my confusion, because it's constructed almost identically to the second outfit.  However, this one uses BLACK leather (again, unambiguously, there are different shots with different lighting), a single layered green cape, a green collar, and black sleeves sheathed in green armor.  There are a few differences that make it obvious that this is a separate costume, apart from trying to tell apart a deep blue and black.  First, the cape is obvious; it's uniform in color rather than patterned, and the colors look nothing alike.  Second, the buckle is different.  While it has the same shape, it's made of a matte material rather than metallic, it is black, and has no distinct painted middle area.  Third, this outfit is missing the "skirt section" that the second costume had, and it instead ends immediately below the belt.
  4. Additionally, he has an Earth disguise during Act 1 of the film, but I'm ignoring that here.

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing that the film won't draw any attention to the differences between the second and third outfit. Presumably nobody will comment on it, we won't see him change, etc. In-universe, maybe they're even supposed to be the same outfit with an ambiguous color or maybe Loki's using his illusion powers!  But at least behind the scenes, Loki has a distinguishably different outfit while on Sakaar and upon his return to Asgard.

Furthermore, it appears at least one toy company got word of this difference.  Funko's "Adorbz" line of toys features two paint applications of similar figures, with one getting blue and the other black.  Their version of the third outfit isn't entirely accurate (e.g. wrong buckle color, buckle includes paint, helmet has gray areas instead of green areas, etc.), but it is different enough that I'm confident that they were told/saw a distinction between the two looks.

Bringing it back to Lego, their figure appears to have the correct color scheme and details for the appropriate part of the movie– Loki is in the arena during the fight, he's wearing outfit #2 at the time, and Lego's colors are correct on outfit #2!

Personally, I prefer Outfit #3 to Outfit #2, but I can't blame Lego for being accurate to the film!

I think Lego just had to pick and choose which looks to represent. I would much rather have the Valkyrie from the final act of the film, but I still like the figure of her made by Lego. Also, it looks like Funko extended the Loki variations to their POP line since there’s a second Loki releasing with the third outfit look including his helmet. 

I'm hoping - although it's highly unlikely - that there will be some third set that includes Valkyrie's white costume and Loki's third costume, or at least a polybag release of either of them.

I honestly am bummed out that we have seen all the 2017 sets. I still feel this year was lackluster for Lego Marvel. I am hoping next year will be a return to form or else I feel my excitement for the theme will diminish if we get another year like this one... :hmpf_bad:

17 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

I honestly am bummed out that we have seen all the 2017 sets. I still feel this year was lackluster for Lego Marvel. I am hoping next year will be a return to form or else I feel my excitement for the theme will diminish if we get another year like this one... :hmpf_bad:

Next year we will have 2 black panther sets 6 (possibly more) massive avengers infinity war sets, possibly 2 ant man and the wasp sets, and maybe a late summer wave of comic based sets as there is no movie for them to tie into. So my guess is next year will be better than this year 

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Next year we will have 2 black panther sets 6 (possibly more) massive avengers infinity war sets, possibly 2 ant man and the wasp sets, and maybe a late summer wave of comic based sets as there is no movie for them to tie into. So my guess is next year will be better than this year 

Is that confirmed? If so, I'm really excited, especially for the ant-man sets, considering his price on the aftermarket.

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

To be honest... I am a bit upset it is likely that we won't see ANY comic based sets until summer. Comic sets are a mixed bag but they are where we get most of the unique figures (Phil Coulson, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, X-Men, Sinister Six, Miles Morales...) and occasionally some great builds (Bridge Battle). There is a mountain of interesting characters I could list that I would love to see in comics sets.

Still between the film stuff; Infinity War will be satisfying if the wave is on-par with the Age of Ultron sets. Ant-Man and the Wasp would be the next film wave I'd be excited for, especially if it brings us a cheaper Ant Man figure. I wish I bought his set when it was still on market back in 2015! 

12 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Is that confirmed? If so, I'm really excited, especially for the ant-man sets, considering his price on the aftermarket.

2 Black Panther and 6 Infinity War sets are confirmed ( We don't know yet what we are getting )

- More likely it will also happen in Antman and The Wasp probs because that's the trend 2 sets for solo movies (Thor/Spiderman/BP) Thoit not confirmed yet. 

I agree that this year has been below average in terms of the selection. Most of the sets have not been aesthetically pleasing to me. As for the figures, they've been mostly average with a few great ones (5 new Hulks, new Iron Man). I hope it does indeed improve next year.

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

I agree that this year has been below average in terms of the selection. Most of the sets have not been aesthetically pleasing to me. As for the figures, they've been mostly average with a few great ones (5 new Hulks, new Iron Man). I hope it does indeed improve next year.

completely agree, compared to last year this year has been disappointing, only set i could say that is good is the battle for asgard set and then its not amazing 

I've bought all of the MCU sets and the Detroit Steel and Ghost Rider. The Hulk is not appealing to me. So it's a pass.

I'm looking forward in getting Thanos and Black order members! Very unique designs I'm sure TLG will do justice for them. Crossfingers*

8 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

2 Black Panther and 6 Infinity War sets are confirmed ( We don't know yet what we are getting )

- More likely it will also happen in Antman and The Wasp probs because that's the trend 2 sets for solo movies (Thor/Spiderman/BP) Thoit not confirmed yet. 

There are actually 6 Avengers sets plus a D2C. ^^

Just now, Catanas said:

There are actually 6 Avengers sets plus a D2C. ^^

Is this a infinity war d2c!?!? Is this a dream? Please don’t wake me up if it is

Just now, Aegis2000 said:

somebody catch me, I’m going down!

I hope you're okay. :look:

D2C's are getting very frequent I hope it is an interior in minifig scale. 

On 13/09/2017 at 7:57 PM, Captain Britain said:

On 13/09/2017 at 9:57 PM, AndrewCole14 said:

I tweeted  Arthur Parsons recently about the U.K. pre-orders hes says more information will be released soon.

The minifig version is now on Amazon UK for pre-order :grin:

Edited by Bricky Kai Yay

The set could be thanos’s ship from the leaked trailer or maybe it’s a d2c playset? Either way I am really interested to see how they do this 

Edited by Falconfan1414

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

The set could be thanos’s ship from the leaked trailer or maybe it’s a d2c playset? Either way I am really interested to see how they do this 

Maybe it’s the Quadrant from Guardians 2?

Based on appearances in Infinity War