Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2017 - Set Discussion

I'm fine with the ship, but maybe that's just because I was dreading it'd be another Quinjet.:pir-sing:

Can't wait to add helmeted Thor and Valkyrie to my collection. They look great.

Only good thing about Arena set is minifigures: awesome Hulk, Loki(with Tom Hiddleston smirk),Thor with Ninjago pauldron in blue. Grandmaster and his guard are really meh.

4 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Only good thing about Arena set is minifigures: awesome Hulk, Loki(with Tom Hiddleston smirk),Thor with Ninjago pauldron in blue. Grandmaster and his guard are really meh.

They now reveal what's behind that scared face and I think it's nice to have that smirk. 

3 minutes ago, The Lupinator said:

I feel like the Minifigures for the Thor sets are a little weak except Thor, Hulk, and Hela.

All of them have no leg print except Thor (with a little bit). When you look at the new JL set, every minifigure has leg print. 

And not only Thor sets, Spiderman and GOTG sets are the same. Seems like they don't care about the leg print, but it actually does make a difference by adding it. Especially you will never have any chance to see some of the characters.

Edited by WYC

Just now, WYC said:

All of them have no leg print except Thor (with a little bit). When you look at the new JL set, every minifigure has leg print. 

Design wise, Thor is more accurate than JL figs/ 

Just now, SpiderJazz said:

Thor is fine but Loki and the Grandmaster aren't too great.

So is it all we get in the second half of the year?

just 2 spiderman set and 2 Thors set?

Just now, The Lupinator said:

Thor is fine but Loki and the Grandmaster aren't too great.

I'm a marvel fan so probably I'm biased. IMO,

Just now, WYC said:

So is it all we get in the second half of the year?

just 2 spiderman set and 2 Thors set?

Atleast that's what we know from now, probably there will be SDCC fig/sets exclusives. 

2 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

Agree, Thor and Hela are great!

Just now, SpiderJazz said:

I'm a marvel fan so probably I'm biased. IMO,

Atleast that's what we know from now, probably there will be SDCC fig/sets exclusives. 

I wish they are hiding some set to avoid any spoiler like before. 

1 hour ago, SpiderJazz said:

You can't please everyone. But I thinks that's the purpose of the discussion thread, not mainly to complain but atleast discuss what is the pros and cons of the sets that are upcoming! 

Even a generic hair could work, not that mohawk thingy, it looks ugly. Both Thor: Ragnarok and JL are set to be released in August.

August?  Poo.  I'm honestly looking forward to these more than Spidey.

4 minutes ago, WYC said:

Agree, Thor and Hela are great!

I wish they are hiding some set to avoid any spoiler like before. 

Even myself wanted another set that will consist of something, but I guess it won't happen. Because leakers like Delta and other atleast have the info if we're going to get a set even if it's a store exclusive. 

1 minute ago, Dr Axels said:

August?  Poo.  I'm honestly looking forward to these more than Spidey.

Ikr, yeah they are set to be release in AUG, Spidey in June. 

I honestly think the Asgard set is perfect. The ship is unique and strange and fits the Jack Kirby aesthetic that this movie seems to be going for, Bruce Banner is a great addition, Thor and Hela are fantastic minifigures, unique army figures are always nice and Fenrir and Helas large dress thing is a great surprise! 

Valkyrie is an interesting figure, not quite sure what's going on there but the Asgard set is easily the best MCU set this year.

Edited by doclord

Hmmmm...

Think I'll just get Thor, Bruce Banner, and possibly Hela and Hulk separately. Those sets are really ugly.

These sets are ugly, disappointing and honestly make me question whether it's worth even getting the figures due to how much they've skimped on detail on most of them. A majority lack arm or leg print that they need and several of the colour scheme choices are mind boggling. Hopefully the Infinity War (and hopefully Black Panther and Ant-Man 2) sets are much better.

The Ultimate Battle For Asgard;
Might pick up this set because of the Fenris Wolf, Thor and Hela (Even though she lacks printing and may not have a movie-accurate helmet), as it'll probably be cheaper buying the set than Bricklinking each of them and the Wolf. Though i hate the ship colour scheme they chose - in the movie its blue and gold, here its red, yellow and black - and the design could have been better. Most the pieces went into the Fenris Wolf and i can't help wish that we'd gotten Surtur instead of the silly looking vibrant spaceship - they took what could have been an epic spaceship and turned it into trash.

Thor Vs Hulk Arena Clash;
With a massively vibrant non-accurate colour scheme and design for the arena along with looking empty and generally bland this may be an easy pass. While the battle variant of Thor and the battle-armoured Hulk might be nice, it'll depend on the movie and how much of the movie has the Hulk looking like the Gladiator form. If he only has it for a short battle then i'll skip this set and bricklink the Thor figure at some stage.

Bricklinking figs, as the builds are disturbingly bad. I already have some ideas for how to use those berserkers too! Awesome figs, but builds are crap. 

The Ultimate Battle For Asgard is awful! The ship build could have been made by a 5 year old. The minifigures are great though. I love the Arena Clash set, I think the build is unique and I love the color, I wish it was bigger though, again the minifigures are fantastic. Gladiator Hulk might be my favorite figure of 2017. I will probably buy the Arena but skip on the ship. This year has been very disappointing compared with last year. 

Man, these keep getting worse... And i take it the blue Pauldrons are final?

I already miss the Summer 2016-wave :sceptic:

4 minutes ago, DarthBrickus said:

Man, these keep getting worse...

Same feeling - i'm hoping that it's just due to budget being allocated to the Lego Batman movie and Ninjago Movie and that we'll get amazing set with Infinity War. At the moment i'm concerned that Thanos might end up being a brick-built figure like Steppenwolf.

1 minute ago, Scarilian said:

Same feeling - i'm hoping that it's just due to budget being allocated to the Lego Batman movie and Ninjago Movie and that we'll get amazing set with Infinity War. At the moment i'm concerned that Thanos might end up being a brick-built figure like Steppenwolf.

Nah, they'll just reuse 2016 Thanos bigfig and paint it with more gold.

7 hours ago, deskp said:

Decent hair suggestion, and I own it.

5 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

I'm actually a little turned off by the Brucs Banner figure; I love that we're finally getting one, and the head is great. It's an easy swap, but I for one don't like all the black on that figure. I would've much preferred a bit of purple or a ripping shirt to go along with the green eyes signifying change 

The arena, however, is growing on me

I actually like that Banner figure; it looks like his Avengers appearance.  The only problem I have with it is that I think my custom (purist) fig actually looks just as much like the Avengers outfit.

3 hours ago, Dr Axels said:

I honestly like the Asgard set.  The Fenris Wolf build is a nice surprise.  I most likely will replace Valkyrie's hair with Rey's, though.  I'm not overly fond of the one they chose.

The ship build is decent for the size of the set, in my opinion.  I really don't think we should get too worked up on what is lacking since these are the first Thor movie sets we have ever gotten.  Dark World may not have been the best of the MCU, but I still wish we had Kurse and Malekith in figure form.

I get how the inclusion of Banner in the Asgard set seems off.  Can't do much help in human form.  Regardless, I'm glad to have a normal Banner to stand alongside the other Avengers rather than just having Hulk.

When are these expected to be released?  I know Spider-Man is scheduled for June, but will Thor be a few more months since it is a November movie?

I totally agree on liking the Asgard set; I like Hela, Banner, and Thor's helmet, and I'm surprised but very pleased with Fenrir being included.  The ship is meh; it looks more accurate, both in size and appearance than what I imagined we'd get, but it doesn't wow me.

That Valkyrie hair really does look terrible, and I also think Rey's would look quite a bit better.

2 hours ago, doclord said:

I honestly think the Asgard set is perfect. The ship is unique and strange and fits the Jack Kirby aesthetic that this movie seems to be going for, Bruce Banner is a great addition, Thor and Hela are fantastic minifigures, unique army figures are always nice and Fenrir and Helas large dress thing is a great surprise! 

Valkyrie is an interesting figure, not quite sure what's going on there but the Asgard set is easily the best MCU set this year.

Again, agreed all around.

36 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Nah, not gonna happen. They have the mold for Thanos, and he can be represented as Big fig not like Steppenwolf, they are two different types. 

33 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Nah, they'll just reuse 2016 Thanos bigfig and paint it with more gold.

Right, atleast have the infinity gauntlet painted and detailed. 

47 minutes ago, DarthBrickus said:

Man, these keep getting worse... And i take it the blue Pauldrons are final?

They are final, and we're fine with that. I think they have done their best that they could.

PROS: Great figures. Love Hela, Hulk, Thor, and Valkyrie.

CONS: Bad, bad builds. The circular Asgard ship is okayy, but the Arena set is just terrible :sick: how is that supposed to be a $60 set? So disappointing.

My verdict: Won't buy these. C'mon LEGO, you're letting me down when I had more money to spend on Lego this year! Maybe I'll save up for 2018...

4 hours ago, WYC said:

And not only Thor sets, Spiderman and GOTG sets are the same. Seems like they don't care about the leg print, but it actually does make a difference by adding it. Especially you will never have any chance to see some of the characters.

It's puzzling, isn't it? These ultra detailed torsos that just...stop. No matter how good you are as a designer, I just don't think you can 'carry' a figure based on the torso alone, it will always look incomplete.

The Hela set is the absolute worst set that I've seen all year. Of any theme. Hands down. The only redeeming factor is Hela herself; the Fenris Wolf build looks cluttered, the vehicle really does look like a Juniors set and all for fifty dollars...?! *huh* They can miss me with that shit.

Arena build looks better than I thought it would but I would have liked if the colors were a little more muted. For $60...  idk. I want the Hulk and Grandmaster figs because of how iconic they are but I can't justify it. i'm also running out of display space and an arena definitely doesn't help the situation lol.

2 hours ago, DarthBrickus said:

Alleluia. These really are a massive step down.