Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2017 - Set Discussion

On 25/09/2016 at 8:57 PM, amazingbricks said:
5 hours ago, Duncan Young said:

No, this wave (to me at least) is pretty bad. The Hulk set is messy and expensive, the Detroit Steel mech is untidy as is Cap's jet and they're rounded out with some questionable minifigure choices. 

At least I can save my money for TLBM sets :wink:

Gotta agree here. My only interests here are the figures and big figs. Although the Hulk set actually looks pretty cool to me; big fig vehicles

5 hours ago, Borex said:

You can just use red arms on her then?

Not if those arms are permanently attached to the torso...

19 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

I personally don't really get the hate for the upcoming Hulk vs. Red Hulk set. I agree that it's interesting to see cars for big figs, and everyone agrees the figures are all great. I don't really feel the models are weak.

For me it's not so much the models (though they aren't great) but the bizarre fig choices- Super-Adaptoid, Red She-Hulk and Detroit Steel over the much more recognisable Baron Zemo, The Leader, Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash are what strikes me as odd

54 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

For me it's not so much the models (though they aren't great) but the bizarre fig choices- Super-Adaptoid, Red She-Hulk and Detroit Steel over the much more recognisable Baron Zemo, The Leader, Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash are what strikes me as odd

Fair enough, although I think we'll get those figures someday and that it'll be a matter of time. :classic:

Personally I think the best set of the three has to be the Detroit Steel set, even if I don't plan on getting it. The builds look really good judging by the ldd, although just as others mentioned it's pretty cool to see vehicles designed for big figs in the Hulk set, which at least has She-Hulk and two big figs I'll buy separately. The jet set does not grab my interest whatsoever, unless the Captain America figure turns out to look interesting. I mean I too would have preferred more well known characters over ones that Marvel is promoting, but there's nothing we can do about it but wait.

What exactly is well known is highly subjective and debatable to begin with. To a mainstream audience (with many of them being kids) what exactly makes someone like the Leader more recognizable than Super-Adaptoid? They've both had plenty of exposure in TV shows and some games and that's about it. Neither one is really an A-lister. Ditto for Crimson Dynamo. Even with Baron Zemo, his most mainstream incarnation is now one that looks nothing at all  comic incarnation. The only one I would really give you is Whiplash, because he was the main villain in one of the Iron Man sequels (and even then that was six years ago now).

Like Battlinpanther, I disagree with the claim that all of the three villains are too obscure.

Super-Adaptoid:

It's a classic villain, and it's been a recurring antagonist in the Avengers Assemble cartoon series.

Red She-Hulk:

She's (spoilers) a major, major recurring Hulk character, dating back to the very beginning of the series, and (though she didn't look like the figure) she's been featured in both recent Hulk films.

Detroit Steel:

He's the odd man out, and he totally deserves said accusation.  He's an incredibly minor character, having only appeared a handful of times in the comics in a two year period before dying, only under one author, and never as the primary threat in any story or storyline. He's never appeared at all in any film, television, or cartoon.  The only thing he ever appeared in (and the only reason we shouldn't be surprised) was this year's Lego Marvel Avengers video game, and even then he doesn't have a story role, but clearly some higher up at Lego likes him. Seriously, Ho Yinsen is a bigger Iron Man character.  Justin, Sasha, and Justine Hammer are all bigger Iron Man characters.  Whiplash, Crimson Dynamo, Iron Monger, Titanium Man, the Living Laser, and the Ghost are all armored foes who are bigger Iron Man characters. Obadiah and Ezekiel Stane are bigger characters.  Maya Hansen is a much bigger character.  Nobody has any attachment to his character, his look intentionally changes to illustrate that Detroit Steel is not supposed to be iconic.  And yet, because he fits the mold for what a Lego villain should do (have a colorful brick-built mech), relatively few people are complaining about his inclusion.

58 minutes ago, N_Cat said:

Red She-Hulk:

She's (spoilers) a major, major recurring Hulk character, dating back to the very beginning of the series, and (though she didn't look like the figure) she's been featured in both recent Hulk films.

She's also a recurring character on Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, which is probably more relevant to her inclusion. 

25 minutes ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

She's also a recurring character on Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, which is probably more relevant to her inclusion. 

I'm not saying the character is obscure in the least, more so the Red She Hulk persona which has only been around since 2009. Of course the obscurity of a character will depend on who you ask

Edited by Duncan Young

Well clearly Red She-Hulk was chosen on the basis of making the set a mirror image of itself rather than on the basis of her non-apparent popularity. Personally, I love the Hulk set because of how fun it looks. We've never seen a Superhero set like it before and as far as I can tell a big draw is to simply swoosh around the vehicles and smash them into each other demolition derby style; something target-market-kids would love. I don't think we should be surprised if that thing sells like hotcakes.  

41 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Well clearly Red She-Hulk was chosen on the basis of making the set a mirror image of itself rather than on the basis of her non-apparent popularity. Personally, I love the Hulk set because of how fun it looks. We've never seen a Superhero set like it before and as far as I can tell a big draw is to simply swoosh around the vehicles and smash them into each other demolition derby style; something target-market-kids would love. I don't think we should be surprised if that thing sells like hotcakes.  

I think it will sell really well, both for people looking just for the figures, and for the kids that want to play with it the way you described. I might make this a day one purchase.

And I agree with Red She-Hulk. I doubt she really took the spot of a better known character in the set. The only other thing I could think they could've included is Bruce Banner and General Ross, which are long overdue, but arguably they wouldn't fit the set as well as her.

I honestly had never heard of Detroit Steel at all, or Betty Ross having a Red She Hulk persona before the avengers game, so I guess I should've said more desirable characters, but then that's debatable as well.

1 hour ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Is she? I actually wrote that initially because I thought she was, but I don't watch the show, so I felt obligated to check the Wiki, and it didn't look like she was.

55 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

12 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

I think it will sell really well, both for people looking just for the figures, and for the kids that want to play with it the way you described. I might make this a day one purchase.

And I agree with Red She-Hulk. I doubt she really took the spot of a better known character in the set. The only other thing I could think they could've included is Bruce Banner and General Ross, which are long overdue, but arguably they wouldn't fit the set as well as her.

I totally agree with both of you guys. Nemo's 100% right on the rationale for why she was chosen, and BrickHat's correct that civilian versions of Ross and Banner would be some of  the only more desirable Hulk-themed figures, and you guys are clearly both dead-on for the intended method of play.  I'd quite like 3/4 figures, and desperately need the Jennifer Walters She-Hulk, so I think I will buy it eventually. The problem is the set's just too expensive for those of us who won't want to play with the set that way.  I'm confident the set will go down at least to $40 on some sale or another, and then I'll make my purchasing decision.

4 hours ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Her alter ego appeared once, but Red SheHulk never did appear. 

I really wish LEGO leaned towards Crimson Dynamo or Iron Monger instead of Detroit Steel.  The same can be said for Abomination in place of Red Hulk repaint (I like seeing new molds).

However, I can't say that I am not glad that we are getting more new characters.  Eager to see the official designs of Adaptoid and Detroit Steel.

I think the sets look good but, yeah, character choice is very odd. The best new character is by far Ms. Marvel and I can't wait to see her final design. Super-adaptoid is an out of nowhere choice since I had to look up who it was since I'd literally never heard of it before. Detroit Steel I only know from the video game cause I remember thinking he had a cool design there, but it barely stood out since like half of that game's cast were unrecognizable to me. Of course, this is partly because I mostly follow DC, but I knew most ofthe characters in the first marvel game. Ridiculous they chose Detroit Steel over Crimson Dynamo but they probably figured kids would be confused since then everything in that set would be mostly red.

2 hours ago, Dr Axels said:

I really wish LEGO leaned towards Crimson Dynamo or Iron Monger instead of Detroit Steel.  The same can be said for Abomination in place of Red Hulk repaint (I like seeing new molds).

However, I can't say that I am not glad that we are getting more new characters.  Eager to see the official designs of Adaptoid and Detroit Steel.

I also agree that Crimson Dynamo would have been a better choice as a more iconic villian. Detroit Steel is a real head scratcher to me. 

Calm down guys, they will definitely get their time to be released. As for now let's be thankful TLG release some new characters instead of keep on repeating others. 

Well, If it's a new Ironman suit them keep em' coming.

3 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

Calm down guys, they will definitely get their time to be released. As for now let's be thankful TLG release some new characters instead of keep on repeating others. 

Well, If it's a new Ironman suit them keep em' coming.

I'm very happy with any new characters we get, hope that doesn't get overlooked. Simply saying that some of the choices are a bit random. 

12 hours ago, Dr Axels said:

I guess it's a shame that as an Iron Man fan I'm not too familiar with all of his enemies, but Iron Monger is someone I would have preferred to see over Detroit Steel. Unfortunately it seems to me that they would make him look like this Crimson Dynamo figure, and I'm not as keen on brick built figs.

It's been made abundantly clear the winged figure is Super Adaptoid while the person in the jet is Cap who will get a printed head as usual.

1 hour ago, CM4Sci said:

It's been made abundantly clear the winged figure is Super Adaptoid while the person in the jet is Cap who will get a printed head as usual.

Ok, was just irritated that he is holding the shield. I thought it woul'd be Falcon as the successor of Cap when he died in the comics.