Newbie here, been a member for a while but I have never been in the position to post something first, so I'm confident with this one. 

I found the Build Your Own Adventure with John Stewart in my local Waterstones today. It's a simple build and GL's leg print isn't great, but hey, my GL Corps just doubled in size! The book is quite fun and contains the build instructions for the jet. If anyone knows or knows of Rod Gillies, he designed the ideas builds in the book. And I know it's a little off topic, but they also had the TLNM Ninjago City Chase set about to hit the shelves, something that the local toy shop didn't have.

I'm not normally one for using Sharpies on minifigs, but the DCEU Aquaman minifig left much to be desired. I swapped out the gold arms for dark green and took a green sharpie to the torso.

img_1234.jpg

In comparison to the promo art:

Justice-League-Aquaman-Poster.jpg

Looks great! I may have to follow your example. Was it just a plain green sharpie, or a darker color?

Edit:  aquaman is  definitely not that green. If anything the torso has more of a bronze/brown to it.  Thinking the lego version is pretty spot on for accuracy   Wish we could have gotten some arm printing though 

A few notes, the lack of side printing/dual mold on Batman's legs doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  However, the Knightcrawler is a tedious and repetitive build.  Put on some music and try breaking it into two build sessions.  Duplicating legs 4 times is monotonous. 

Edited by Buildingwon

6 hours ago, Xzmmc said:

Looks great! I may have to follow your example. Was it just a plain green sharpie, or a darker color?

Just a plain green sharpie, applied in sections, using a tissue to quickly dab away any excess

Picked up all three sets today, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the Flying Fox. Innards are dull, but it looks awesome sitting on my shelf, and it's super sturdy.

Target had the tags out for all three, and Toys R Us literally had shipping boxes, marked "LEGO: Do not sell until August 1st," but neither had actually put them out on the shelves, so I was still unable to grab anything. I'll have to go back in the next few days. 
John Stewart's book did arrive, though, so that's awesome. Some neat ideas throughout.

7 hours ago, Xzmmc said:

Picked up all three sets today, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the Flying Fox. Innards are dull, but it looks awesome sitting on my shelf, and it's super sturdy.

Have to agree with this.  It looks really awesome once it's built.  The build doesn't drag either.  Glad I bought it

Built the Knightcrawler last night, and I have mixed feelings. The problems start with Batman himself. The printed black legs are a huge disappointment, and I think his skin tone is too dark. The Flash and the Parademons are amazing, and its nice to get a extra pair of wings. Then, the Knightcrawler. Oh boy. I would give Lego a little paper certificate saying     "At least you tried" for this one. If I was a little kid, then I would probably love the set. The set itself isn't terrible. 622 pieces and 4 high quality minifigures for $50 is a great deal. The problem is, the set isn't accurate to the version in the movie.

The Knightcrawler in the set features a color scheme of Black and light-bluish grey, dark tan, and trans-red for the cockpit, whereas the movie version has a color scheme for what seems to be gun-metal grey and trans-black/brown for the cockpit. Since Lego does not have enough parts in gun-metal grey, I think that they should have stuck with black, even though they don't have the same pieces in black, co they would need to re-color some parts.

One of my major problems with the set is the driver's area. In the movie, the Knightcrawler has at least 5 windows (3 facing forward and 2 angled down.) The set only has one. I have tried to come up with ways to have a accurate look, but then I realized the solution was right in front of me all along. If you turn the red piece used in the set around so the clips are at the top of the crawler, you have a pretty accurate representation of the main cockpit screen. In fact, that piece comes in trans-brown/black in the T-16 Skyhopper star wars set. with some simple angling of parts and some trans-brown/black panels, the cockpit would be pretty accurate.

Another problem with accuracy is the blockiness and sharp edges on the cockpit. In the movie, the cockpit seems to be completely smooth. It shouldn't be too hard to modify the cockpit, and still have the legs attached in a secure way.

My final problem is the use of 6-stud shooters to represent the guns atop the Crawler. I feel like Spring Loaded Shooters would have been better. 

So to rate the set 

Accuracy: 4.5/10

Play value: 7/10

Build: 6/10

Overall: 7/10

I am really excited for my birthday, which is in about a month. I plan to ask for the $300 Ninjago City set and the Flying Fox. My initial thoughts of it were harsh, and I feel now that is is a pretty good set!

I cant help but wonder why they chose the Knightcrawler for the mid sized set.  I think the Batmobile from the Flying Fox set makes more sense as it's own standalone $35-40 set (with a small build for the parademons).  It could still interact with the Flying Fox while also lowering the price tag for the Flying Fox.  The Knightcrawler just doesnt translate that well into Lego.  I'll still probably pick up all 3 of these sets over the weekend.

5 hours ago, clra2 said:

I cant help but wonder why they chose the Knightcrawler for the mid sized set.  I think the Batmobile from the Flying Fox set makes more sense as it's own standalone $35-40 set (with a small build for the parademons).  It could still interact with the Flying Fox while also lowering the price tag for the Flying Fox.  The Knightcrawler just doesnt translate that well into Lego.  I'll still probably pick up all 3 of these sets over the weekend.

Maybe because of similarity to the BvS Batmobile? If they released this one as part of a set in the same range, people would probably knock it as similar but pricier to that one, whereas the Knightcrawler is an entirely new vehicle.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:22 AM, Tr0jinH0rse said:

I'm not normally one for using Sharpies on minifigs, but the DCEU Aquaman minifig left much to be desired. I swapped out the gold arms for dark green and took a green sharpie to the torso.

In comparison to the promo art:

You do realise that promo art is not accurate?

13 hours ago, deskp said:

That wasnt promo art he was comparing it to. It was actually Jason Mamoa in the aquaman suit in a photoshoot for the JL movie. Very accurate as it is the same suit used in the trailers and other set photos.

1 hour ago, YoshiBlockr said:

That wasnt promo art he was comparing it to. It was actually Jason Mamoa in the aquaman suit in a photoshoot for the JL movie. Very accurate as it is the same suit used in the trailers and other set photos.

Are we sure about that though?  That's really the only promotional item where the costume looks that green.  For example, the costume displayed at recent conventions looks more bronze/brown on the torso with a majority of the green remaining on his lower half.  

(Not trying to spark movie discussion.  Accuracy of the figure is oddly important to me)

On 04/08/2017 at 8:05 AM, deskp said:

I do realise this, but I reference checked multiple photos and stills before I got started, from both the photo shoots and official trailers. The suit itself in the film looks dark green with gold highlights in shadows, but has an almost copper/gold sheen all across when light strikes it. I'd be confident in saying that the suit in the film is mostly dark green, but LEGO chose to make his top half entirely gold so that he would resemble the classic comic Aquaman more, making him more recognisable to kids. Most kids wouldn't recognise a dark green figure with hobo hair to be Aquaman, they would be used to the bright orange and green outfit he typically sports. The black line detailing on the minifig seems to be pretty much perfect, it's just the colours which aren't quite right. 

On 8/4/2017 at 9:53 AM, Buildingwon said:

Are we sure about that though?  That's really the only promotional item where the costume looks that green.  For example, the costume displayed at recent conventions looks more bronze/brown on the torso with a majority of the green remaining on his lower half.  

(Not trying to spark movie discussion.  Accuracy of the figure is oddly important to me)

Positive. I am an insane minifigure accuracy freak. As in I will paint the figure to make it exactly how it is in the movie. Thus I check multiple photos and set leaks before I start. I can guarantee that all of the 5 stills featuring the league members solo posing is indeed there exact suit from the movie comparing it to set leaks. :)

Knightcrawler gets a tough press but I really like it. Flawless? Hardly! But it's fun and a good price. 

Flying Fox is another success - pictures look horrible, wasn't going to get it, but in person it's great and the set has enourmous play value.

Edited by TheBrickHitHouse

24 minutes ago, TheBrickHitHouse said:

Flying Fox is another success - pictures look horrible, wasn't going to get it, but in person it's great and the set has enourmous play value.

Out of curiosity, would you say it's worth its full retail price? Or wait till a discount of, say, $99.99? 

Edited by TheAmazingDarkKnight

2 hours ago, TheBrickHitHouse said:

Knightcrawler gets a tough press but I really like it. Flawless? Hardly! But it's fun and a good price. 

Flying Fox is another success - pictures look horrible, wasn't going to get it, but in person it's great and the set has enourmous play value.

2 hours ago, TheAmazingDarkKnight said:

Out of curiosity, would you say it's worth its full retail price? Or wait till a discount of, say, $99.99? 

Based on what I've seen, it costs way too much. I feel like the set should've been $100. They even used the $100 box size for the set, not the $130 size. There's nothing in the set that warrants it being $30 overpriced, since I doubt the head mold for Steppenwolf cost that much to make. I think I'll get it if I find a sale for around $80. The main build looks okay, but just super unfinished and boring on the inside. 

5 hours ago, YoshiBlockr said:

Positive. I am an insane minifigure accuracy freak. As in I will paint the figure to make it exactly how it is in the movie. Thus I check multiple photos and set leaks before I start. I can guarantee that all of the 5 stills featuring the league members solo posing is indeed there exact suit from the movie comparing it to set leaks. :)

You are wrong. The poster that was posted (he himself called it promo art) has the colors on the suit changed and messed with. Lots of parts that should be black or brown/bronze  have been turned green.

This poster, should never be used for color reference.

Here is my take on the color blocking.

u1RYs9a.png

Does it really matter? I think the custom green on the torso makes it look way better than the official fig.

20 hours ago, deskp said:

You are wrong. The poster that was posted (he himself called it promo art) has the colors on the suit changed and messed with. Lots of parts that should be black or brown/bronze  have been turned green.

This poster, should never be used for color reference.

Here is my take on the color blocking.

I really dont wanna continue this, but I really wanna make my point across. What I said was that the original picture was not promo art, but I see now that any pictures for the movie are promotional artwork. I guess I meant to say that the picture is acurate and I still abide by that statement. That promotional art picture of aquaman is very acurate to this hot toys image of aquaman. And hot toys are always acurate, never a single bit miss-detailed.

60a0055650084272b3d42d1d0ff02180--aquaman-justice-league.jpg

25 minutes ago, DrasticPlastic said:

Hmm, I wonder how accurate the flying fox is to the 'real thing'. The concept art is very different (and better).

http://www.slashfilm.com/superhero-bits-1351/#more-434230

A lot of people have been making a big deal about the table in that concept art, but I think it's funny that it only has three chairs. I guess Batman perches in the corner and Cyborg's too hardcore to sit? :grin:

I think if it's taken this much debate to make any sort of argument for Aquaman's chestplate being green, it only proves that the gold was the right choice for such a small-scale thing.