Sign in to follow this  
Sheepo

[MOC] Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JK)

One of the icons of USA cars the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JK), a real leyend still alive.

wrangler_01.jpg

It is built in scale 1/10. With an overall size of 23x52x25 studs(18x42x20 cm).

wrangler_19.jpg

It weights 2.7Kgs, and has around 2700 parts

wrangler_09.jpg

It is powered by 5 PF motors, 2 IR receivers and one PF AA battery.

- 2XL motors for drive

- M motor for steering

- M motor for sequential gearbox

- M motor for drive mode and range gearbox

wrangler_12.jpg

As usual 5+R speeds sequential gearbox (4th GEN).

2-speeds range gearbox and 2WD/4WD modes.

wrangler_15.jpg

Also its has an important feature of the Rubicons versions: lockeable front and rear differenfials.

Realistic drive modes, you can select sequentialy between 4 drive modes: 2H, 4H, 4L and 4L with lock diff.

wrangler_17.jpg

I know many people like the Wrangler looks more extreme, for them I have built a second pair of axles. They include portal hubs and an extra 3:1 gear reduction. They also add 2 studs high and 2 studs wide of each side

Important note: even with trial axles this car is not a Trial Truck, you can not expect Trial Truck off-road capabilities...

wrangler_25.jpg

wrangler_30.jpg

As always a complete video:

This time the instructions comes together with the car, in RC and MANUAL versions.

To know more or buy the instructions go HERE

Edited by Sheepo

Great Moc! Would you mind resizing the pics a bit. They are too big.

After that, I can do some promotion :wink:

Thanks for your comments.

Jim, I am waiting for the brickshelf folder become public to change the pictures for a smaller copy, is it 900x600px enough small?

Yeah sure! 1024 wide is the max. Thanks!

Wow, Sheepo does it again. Great work!

I think this will end up on my to build list.

Edited by Appie

I wanna build this! But it's a hassle to go through all the parts lists, will you add it to Rebrickable?

I'd be up for the TT version, just because I don't have the tires for the normal version.

Wow, I don't know what could I say about this amazing product of Sheepo. I1m waiting for the rebrickable entry to see what is missing.

Well done Sheepo!

I have mixed feelings about this MOC. I like the functions very much. However, it is a real pity that switching gears doesn't seem to make much noticeable difference when driving. That's even worse than the Land Rover Defender 110 which is much bigger. The BMW i8 is much better in that regard. Regardless, that is really understandable given that this is LEGO with LEGO PFs after all. Still a masterpiece.

This is great! Lots of function packed in a accurate shape! :thumbup: :thumbup:...like always! :wink:

I like a lot the possibility to choose the axles that you like more.

Very realistic! The functions are impressive as always! I must say that the flat bodywork of vehicles like Jeeps and Land Rovers really makes them look so good in Technic.

Great job! Is it modular? I'm curious about the gearbox. Is it similiar to the Mercedes one with more gears?

Do you use the same controller as for the mercedes?

Unimog Tyres?

Edited by Duky

However, it is a real pity that switching gears doesn't seem to make much noticeable difference when driving. That's even worse than the Land Rover Defender 110 which is much bigger.

This Jeep uses the same speeds gear ratio as the Land-Rover. The video not always show correctly the difference between gears, it is related with video fps and wheels rpm.

Sheepo: would you consider packaging the two instruction sets into one?

No, because almost nobody buy both instructions.

Very realistic! The functions are impressive as always! I must say that the flat bodywork of vehicles like Jeeps and Land Rovers really makes them look so good in Technic.

With very square cars is very easy get a final realistic shape in technic. with soft curves the difficult is much higher

Great job! Is it modular? I'm curious about the gearbox. Is it similiar to the Mercedes one with more gears?

Yes, it is. You built it on independent parts: chassis, drivetrain, axles and bodywork, if you want to use the gearbox for another car it should be very easy. And yes, the gearbox is similar to the MBs ones.

Do you use the same controller as for the mercedes?

Unimog Tyres?

Yes, I use the same controller as the 300SL, Mustang, Beetle, Caterham... 42000 wheels on standar axles and unimog wheels on trial axles