Sign in to follow this  
Keter

Interactive GOH map (discussion)

Here is a link to the large version of the map. I like your mountains, but I would change your trees to be more like what's in the Mitgardia map. I didn't make the Mitgardia map, I just updated it so I don't have the template for the tree pattern used.

Will you eventually have every city/town/ major feature on the map with a full write up in a pop window?

Will you eventually have every city/town/ major feature on the map with a full write up in a pop window?

All elements would be on the detailed map. I will try to explain more clearly now.

I want to make not one map, but two or three.

First-step map would show full GoH World: four guilds, Varlyrio, Frozen beyond... Here I want to show borders (in color scheme of guilds). But if we will try to put all objects on these map we will have a problem: they would be too small (or we will need a map with very high scale and large weight) So if we put all info on this map - users wouldn't see it clearly.

So I want to create second-step map separatly for each guild. User click on Avalonia at the "color" map and see new window with separate Avalonian map. Here we could show all elements as cities, roads, mountains or something else. Such map will look like maps each guild have now at their main pages. This map would be splited with using SVG and JS by interactive regions. Mistic Isles - is an interactive region. If user hover it on second-step map he would see info about MoCs on it.

I also have a plan for creating third-step map. But it is a realy hard-realized plan: user could click Mistic isles and see more detalised third-step map with each city, road, cave, settlement on each isle. If we do such detailed map we could use my plan with markers. GoH member would be able to create a marker for new objects they want to build for. It would be a world-creating functional where each member could make something new for GoH world.

We couldnt do this functional at the second-step map becouse this way it also would have too much objects on a low-scale map and would be not clear for users.

Third-step map is a realy hard work that would need many hours in photoshop. I dont sure we need it now, and anyway I couldnt do it alone.

Please ask me if you dont understand something. I know that I am not good in english. I will try to explain more and more clear if it would be need.

Edited by Keter

My land is Felinia. It lays between Awlegoyr and Kaliphin. It ends justv past the start of the river that runs through it called the Gregor. Its main village right now is Helenia which sits where the Gregor joins the sea.

My land is Felinia. It lays between Awlegoyr and Kaliphin. It ends justv past the start of the river that runs through it called the Gregor. Its main village right now is Helenia which sits where the Gregor joins the sea.

Hi!

Thanks, but this map will work mostly with geographical objects, not politycal.

Is there anything I can do to help with the map? I am reasonably competent in Photoshop, so I am happy to have a look at it if you like, though I don't have much spare time to do much work on it at the moment.

I don't know how best to send that size file though. Dropbox?

Hi Ke'ter,

I am thinking on your third step part of the map and I think it's a good idea but it could work well in Avalonia where each county (each player's territory in our guild) is an entity on itself. So, it's easy to cut Avalonia in smaller parts of interest and show the details.

The problem is that this would not be easy to do the same with the other countries.

Midgardia has more separated vales and is more cut by high picks, some of those places would be hard to detail.

Some Nocturnian places are sometimes not clearly defined, due to the freedom in this country, most of the places are relatively hard to situate, the main exception here are the main cities.

And finally, in Kaliphlin, since the civil war, some places changed and new allegiances were made, so some places are different. Making a map update showing the allegiances of each city could be good...

And I don't know until where you would want to go. Do you want to show every MOCS built in GOH ? The hardest task... Or just the ones of active members ? Or all builds of book II ?

Concerning Avalonia, I would suggest you to change the rivers of the western island (the enchanted forest island) and take the model from our recent un official map update, as those rivers are not linked between them. It would be hard to change it after having drawn the counties on it.

And I agree, the trees are not the best. Perhaps smaller ones and with a dense aspect would be better.

Also, be aware that the maps changed a little bit from book I to book II, that's why Avalonia map seems different.

Hope I helped. Don't hesitate to ask some help by PM to the players, and to the Guilds Leaders. They are the best way to get some crucial information !

Hi Ke'ter,

I am thinking on your third step part of the map and I think it's a good idea but it could work well in Avalonia where each county (each player's territory in our guild) is an entity on itself. So, it's easy to cut Avalonia in smaller parts of interest and show the details.

The problem is that this would not be easy to do the same with the other countries.

Midgardia has more separated vales and is more cut by high picks, some of those places would be hard to detail.

Some Nocturnian places are sometimes not clearly defined, due to the freedom in this country, most of the places are relatively hard to situate, the main exception here are the main cities.

And finally, in Kaliphlin, since the civil war, some places changed and new allegiances were made, so some places are different. Making a map update showing the allegiances of each city could be good...

And I don't know until where you would want to go. Do you want to show every MOCS built in GOH ? The hardest task... Or just the ones of active members ? Or all builds of book II ?

Concerning Avalonia, I would suggest you to change the rivers of the western island (the enchanted forest island) and take the model from our recent un official map update, as those rivers are not linked between them. It would be hard to change it after having drawn the counties on it.

And I agree, the trees are not the best. Perhaps smaller ones and with a dense aspect would be better.

Also, be aware that the maps changed a little bit from book I to book II, that's why Avalonia map seems different.

Hope I helped. Don't hesitate to ask some help by PM to the players, and to the Guilds Leaders. They are the best way to get some crucial information !

Thanks for your large answer!

About third-step map - I dont think that it would be done in nearest time. May be it would be as addition at the future, but dont sure. For me the main deal are first-step and second-step maps.

About Kaliphlin - have I got something wrong on my geographical map now?

I want to make this project for active members. It should add a lite competition to the GoH life. I want to make some counters (to know what guild is more active) and events, special trophies for active members and other interactive functions.

My idea that each MoC should be added by an active member who registered on the Map site. It also would add points for this member and his guild.

Probably old MoCs would be added to the database, but it would be done by moderators and wouldn't care in the score.

Yeah, next step I will change rivers on avalonian island.

Is there anything I can do to help with the map? I am reasonably competent in Photoshop, so I am happy to have a look at it if you like, though I don't have much spare time to do much work on it at the moment.

I don't know how best to send that size file though. Dropbox?

Now I will try to make a plan of work and after it I could say what could be done.

(Sorry for the double post).

Also, what about having the colour overlay as a semi transparent one so that you can still se details like the trees and deserts?

Edited by BrickCurve

Which site were you using for the hosting of the map again?

Now I dont using any hostings or domens. But they dont cost much and I think that I could pay for them from my own money in the future.

(Sorry for the double post).

Also, what about having the colour overlay as a semi transparent one so that you can still se details like the trees and deserts?

Will try both variants. Now I think that for first-step map it doesnt need. Titles would be too small and users wouldnt see them clear.

Anyway all geographical objects I would make for second-step map and if it would be needed I will copy them to first-step map. Or will make a trigger for users to show mountains, trees and deserts on first step map or not, as they want.

But now it is not main task for me. Map viewing could be changed after beta-testing of site before relised. Now SVG-JS functional is more harder task which I should work with.

Now I dont using any hostings or domens. But they dont cost much and I think that I could pay for them from my own money in the future.

Will try both variants. Now I think that for first-step map it doesnt need. Titles would be too small and users wouldnt see them clear.

Anyway all geographical objects I would make for second-step map and if it would be needed I will copy them to first-step map. Or will make a trigger for users to show mountains, trees and deserts on first step map or not, as they want.

But now it is not main task for me. Map viewing could be changed after beta-testing of site before relised. Now SVG-JS functional is more harder task which I should work with.

. Would it be possible to use word press, that is a free website and hosting tool? The domain name would be _____.wordpress.com, but that doesn't really matter as the map will be linked to on here anyway. Have a look at Wordpress.com.

Sounds good to me!

What is SVG-JS?

. Would it be possible to use word press, that is a free website and hosting tool? The domain name would be _____.wordpress.com, but that doesn't really matter as the map will be linked to on here anyway. Have a look at Wordpress.com.

Sounds good to me!

What is SVG-JS?

Yeah I will check free tools at first. But some of them havent got all functional could be needed.

SVG is a vector graphic format, JS mean Javascript. Thats what I need for interactive map.

Yeah I will check free tools at first. But some of them havent got all functional could be needed.

SVG is a vector graphic format, JS mean Javascript. Thats what I need for interactive map.

Thanks, good to know.

Have you contacted the persons who did the original map of the guilds yet?

Edited by BrickCurve

I think this is a great project not least for newer players (and returners), and especially if it is made to be easily updated and even better transferred to someone else if you get tired of it :classic:

Any discrepancies between this map and the original map (and developments during Book II) can of course be attributed to the level of mapmaking technology in Historica. I mean, look at real medieval maps :wink:

I'm pretty familiar with SVG, so if you need any help with that, I'm available. This project is a great Idea BTW!

Thanks, good to know.

Have you contacted the persons who did the original map of the guilds yet.

Will make it whan understand what I need from them)

I think this is a great project not least for newer players (and returners), and especially if it is made to be easily updated and even better transferred to someone else if you get tired of it :classic:

Any discrepancies between this map and the original map (and developments during Book II) can of course be attributed to the level of mapmaking technology in Historica. I mean, look at real medieval maps :wink:

Thanks! I want to make it as easy updatable as possible)

Yeah, I think so. I also want to add some new territories which wasnt at original map. I hope that it wouldnt be a problem for old players.

I'm pretty familiar with SVG, so if you need any help with that, I'm available. This project is a great Idea BTW!

Yeah! That sounds great! Need to make contours of territories in SVG format! I will write you PM when finish map in photoshop.

A big problem here is that the four main maps don't line up correctly. the shape of the Avalonian / Kaliphlin border has always been a debate. You could say the same for Nocturnus / Kaliphlin, but those two sides don't really care so much!!!

This would be a very hefty project indeed!

Thanks for your answer! Anyway I think the best way now to finish Interactive map with all territories we already have.

This is map V2. Please check it and write if I lost something or did something wrong.

(Varlyrio would be in a special "box" and I will change rivers on large Avalonian island in V3)

28188413401_792e56672d_b.jpgGoH map v2 by Evgeny Susekov, on Flickr

Could somebody draw borders of guilds on my map? And what colours would be better for each guild?

It seems like Ulandus may be a bit small here.

I agree with Ska on the size of Ulandus. It should be at least a third bigger. Also, much of the south central Rakath (east of Sultan's Gate) is a bit disputed. Because the area is so sparsely inhabited, the border was never clearly defined. There are werewolves that identify as Nocturnian that come well into the southern (Kaliphlin) Rakath to hunt and trade.

Ok, will make Ulandus bigger.

About disputed lands, I know that they are not clearly defined, but I think that we should do it if we want this project work good.

I like the idea, but the political map would be difficult to do because countries are added when people join.

Columbus

(This is my 100th post Whooo Hooo)

I agree with Ska on the size of Ulandus. It should be at least a third bigger. Also, much of the south central Rakath (east of Sultan's Gate) is a bit disputed. Because the area is so sparsely inhabited, the border was never clearly defined. There are werewolves that identify as Nocturnian that come well into the southern (Kaliphlin) Rakath to hunt and trade.

I have always thought that the border between Kaliphlin and Nocturnus was the mountains, I also thought that the border with Avalonia was on the edge of the wither woods. Most borders, unless adequately policed, will have a bit of cross over, particularly between Nocty and Kaliphlin. Edited by BrickCurve

I think maybe some sort of a no-man's land or disputed territory could be on the map between Kali and Nocty, and the area's border's could fluctuate due to the establishment of a settlement or something in the area.

I think maybe some sort of a no-man's land or disputed territory could be on the map between Kali and Nocty, and the area's border's could fluctuate due to the establishment of a settlement or something in the area.

If Kaliphlin is blue colored on the map, and Nocturnus is red, it could be a disputed territory "purple zone".

If Kaliphlin is blue colored on the map, and Nocturnus is red, it could be a disputed territory "purple zone".

It is a good Idea.

Now I have a pause with project becouse of some other work.

But will continue it soon.

Next step is to make a borders of each Guild on the map, if somebody could help me, welcome!