Hello everyone!

This is my newest creation:

It is a result of a strange process - I usually know what I want to build before I start building, but with this one it wasn't the case.

I was tinkering about limited slip differentials – trying to find some compact solution, one that can fit regular LEGO differential. Then I needed some vehicle to test it… One thing led to another and I had this top fuel dragster on my desk. :classic:

27285978213_fa227ca5d3_z.jpg

It is build for speed - has great power (RC 5292 motor) to weight ratio (weighs 450g).

27797253492_c235ba8c74_z.jpg

It is rather simple creation. The only function, besides motorized driving and steering (servo motor), is manually adjustable rear wing.

27797270612_770b945bb3_z.jpg

Dimensions: 48cm long, 12 cm wide, 14.5 – 16 cm high

27821987021_bbbfc9785c_z.jpg

I hope you'll like it! :sweet:

More photos: http://www.flickr.co...157669238024110

Please check the video to see more about its speed - after all, it is the main feature of this model (I filmed it in my building's garage - my apartment is too small for that thing :classic: ) and tell me what you think about that limited slip diff.

Also, now I'm wondering, do you always know what are you going to build from the start or did you have similar experience like me with this MOC?

Nice - very fast! The limited-slip diff is a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it's a true LSD. From what I can see, it acts as a solid axle but with a small amount of freedom on each whee, so if you tried to drive it in circles, the wheels would end up slipping.

Thank you all for your comments! :classic:

I think your cameraman's ride needs a speed boost!

Give it some slack, it is just an old VW T1 :wink:

27879215126_0ee50c132c_z.jpg

Very nice acceleration. Have you tried to measure the speed?

Thank you! :classic: No, unfortunately, I haven't measured the speed.

Related to that here are some additional info; Rear axle is connected to the faster output of RC 5292 motor with 1:1 gear ratio, tires are 56x28 and model weighs 450g (most of it is placed around rear axle).

sm 01,

your solution with differential is really interesting and it will be sure usefull for something.

But as it was said it's not LSD. LSD should be open at start and locks when one wheel slip occurs. Your solution locks the semiaxles at start and give possibility to open it when they are not driven...

So even by cornering your semiaxles are rotating at same speed because they are driven so you got one solid axle when driven. When they are not driven, the semiaxles could rotate at different speed.

Here nice Example of Lego LSD:

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Yeah, I understand it now - TheMindGarage, nicjasno and Max, thank you very much for your comments! :thumbup:

If it weren't for you, I could look at it for days and not to see the most important thing – it has to be open at the start to be LSD and to lock only if the slip occurs (great explanation, Max).

I guess I was so excited with compactness of this solution that I missed the obvious - I'm sorry for that! :blush:

Thank you all for your comments! :classic:

Give it some slack, it is just an old VW T1 :wink:

27879215126_0ee50c132c_z.jpg

That VW looks very interesting, have you compared its performance with efferman's design? It looks very similar on the outside. He just posted the LXF for it a couple days ago.

That VW looks very interesting, have you compared its performance with efferman's design? It looks very similar on the outside. He just posted the LXF for it a couple days ago.

Ufff, it is hard to compare performance of those two in terms of speed (they are made in different scale and use different motors).

Here is more about my VW T1 in case you've missed it:

http://www.eurobrick...4

Thanks to your feedback, I've made a new version of that LSD - check it out and please tell me what you think: