Mr Greeble

What Modular Should I Buy?

A little under $400 with prime shipping, best price I have seen since I have been watching it recently. I found MISB ones on bricklink for around $325 plus shipping but the little extra on Amazon is worth the convenience.

For this price I would rather buy Ghostbusters Firehouse instead...

Hi everyone, after many years of resisting modulars because of the price I have finally broken my resolve and decided to start collecting modulars. I would like to ask what modular I should get first. Please provide your advice.

Thank you in advance.

-legoboy22

If money was what kept you from buying in the first place, then buying one of the mods that are still sold will be a great deal cheaper than the ones that have been retired. Go to the Lego webpage and look at the mods on there.

The reason I can buy them now is because I gave up buying Lego Harry potter of e-bay

Edited by Legoboy22

I think it would be best top start with the current 3 modulars that are currently on sale and then keep and eye out for eBay deals that undercut the brick link price. If, for example, the palace cinema goes out of production, you would have to get that one at a high price from brick link as well.

It really depends on what sort of collection you're going for. IF you want all original with boxes and instructions I would start with Cafe Corner and work my way forward since I don't think its coming down in price anytime soon. If you don't care about originality then brick linking the pieces will most likely be cheaper for the really expensive sets. If you don't care about the old set then start with the Pet Shop ow since its the oldest one still being sold and work forward from there.

There are a lot of different options and it all really comes down to what sort of modular collection are you trying to obtain.

As stated, buy the currently available ones. You will rarely find them cheaper. After that, assuming you want to build and display them, go find used ones on Bricklink, Craigslist, or the Marketplace section of various Lego websites.

In theory, getting the oldest ones available would be the best plan, especially if you wanna get them all eventually. So get Pet Shop first. It's out of stock at lots of shop@home regions, but you can still find it for retail at other retailers.

Also, there is a modular discussion thread in this subforum and a "what set should I buy" topic in the general Lego subforum. Both of those would have been appropriate to post this question in, rather than starting a new topic.

The question of whether you should get modulars or not depends on a few things. One is if you're collecting the sets for the pieces, then I would suggest starting with the most recent releases. However, if you're going for the die-hard collector mentality, then I would say (pocket-book permitting) you could start from the beginning...

I just got the Brick Bank (10251) for the pieces, and I have to say it was totally worth the price. The great thing about the modulars is that they have a wealth of pieces that allow a collector/creator to really see all of the possibilities for bricks.

So, to answer your question in a direct way: I would get the latest one (10251 Brick Bank).

Edited by BrickBuilder7622

I think it would be tough to get into the Modular game this late considering how many have already been produced/retired. If you plan on getting all of the newest ones from here on out, then definitely go with the oldest you can find at MSRP. If you can find a recently retired one for just above msrp, you might be doing okay, but otherwise focus on what is available.

If you are only getting neat Modular sets and don't care about collecting them all, I would highly recommend Parisian restaurant. It looks great. Fun build techniques. Great color scheme.

Thx everyone for your advice. I think I will start with either the Parisian restaurant or the brick bank. The Parisian restaurant has such a French style and looks exactly like a restaurant I went to in Paris. I am french myself an find it very touching. As for the brick bank it is just such an amazing build with the office, laundromat and vault. The silver gold bar pieces on the wall are amazing and lithe thing I need in my city is a bank because I have barely any Lego money. So these 2 are my op choices along with the palace cinema because it Is retiring soon.

I will keep that in mind however I was never fond of it. I would get it just as a collectors item. Thank you

Like other have said, I'd start with the Pet Shop. It's right on the cusp of retirement, and if you do end up collecting the whole series later, you'll kick yourself if you have to pay a premium for something you could have gotten at MSRP. Plus it's an easy build to start off in Modulars, and you get two buildings out of it. It's also good for parts.

Next I would focus on other available modulars, and prioritize the older ones (you'll have to decide if you really want to collect them all or just get the ones you like). For the actual build, my favorite of those is Parisian Restaurant.

Either way you can't go wrong... The modulars are great!

I will keep that in mind however I was never fond of it. I would get it just as a collectors item. Thank you

Make a MOC out of it but keep the extra parts bagged so you can keep it together.

Make a MOC out of it but keep the extra parts bagged so you can keep it together.

great idea. I think I shall do that.

Be careful! Once you start you end up here!

25182053625_d4fef28afb_c.jpgDSC01466 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

i will keep that in mind. Thanks for the warning ;D . That is the city of my dreams. I will start probably with the parisian restaurant then palace cinema and then the amazing brick bank

Hello,

I wonder if i will like the Palace Cinema.

I start collecting modulars last year with the Parisian Restaurant and the Detective Office.

Before Lego retired the Pet Shop, i buy it too. I got the Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium for a very fair price. But i think my collection will never be completed because of the price of the Café Corner and Green Grocer. So i am not trying to get every set of the modular line.

Many builders advise me to build older modulars first in order to not be disappointed. So i began with the Pet Shop, then the Grand Emporium. Next is going to be the Fire Brigade and i will go on with Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office.

The Grand Emporium is massive and impressive, but the build is repetitive sometimes. I prefer the Pet Shop and i think i am going to love the Parisian Restaurant! The Town Hall is massive but it is only tall, and the build is not interesting. I love detailed and realistic buildings. I am looking for great building technics and good building experience.

The Palace Cinema is quite intriguing:

- The car is not well balanced, badly

- There is a lot of stickers

- The "Palace" sign seems to be hard to keep vertical

- The back of the roof is poorly design, seems to be unfinished

What do you think about this list?

Edited by sebitsena

Its not perfect (as you said, the car is a weirdo), but it has certainly character. Its a distinctive build with interesting detailing and it really has a glamour factor too :wink: I like it!

The price is steep, but not terrible... in the end it comes down to wether or not it appeals to you and you find its a relevant contribution to your collection. Personally I clearly wont feel obliged to get it, just because its another modular. And there is nothing against creating your own version too. But if it says "yes!" to you: sure, get it. But you seem already elsewhere with your mind, so maybe just go for the sets which intrigues you more :wink:

The cinema theme dit apeal to me, but the building itself did not. So i bought it and because it is lego i made my own

DSC_0424.jpg

Thank you for your answers all! The car may be improved easily, i took a look in Google Image ;)

I like the front of the cinema, there are nice details, but i would like to know if the sign "Palace" is stable, steady? Some people said it can goes wrong, falling on the right or on the left. Did you noticed this issue on your respective sets?

It looks good. My friend has it and it looks just like the Chinese theater in Hollywood, just compacted. I don't know, your decision.