Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

@leinaud: please support us and we shall pass :wink:

I am afraid many people are thinking like you are, which is a bit unfair to people who already made the "leap of faith" and support us :classic:

9. USB connectivity: good question :-) If BuWizz had USB communication, what would you do with it?

It would be useful for firmware updates.

Modify firmware to support bluetooth game controllers or keyboards.

USB would be very useful to hook to the buwizz of say a stationary model for analytics of motors, amp draw, Voltage, wattage used, temperature of battery, Etc, through a computer program.

Just reposting my comment, did not see any reply to it yet... :wink:

@Ron1: What I wonder is adding more motors makes the battery drain faster. Wouldn't it make more sense to stay with 2 RC motors and endurance to the battery instead? Well at least that is what I would expect from such a device!

As you may know I build truck and trailer scale models and what I mention above is what these models require. Extra power, yes please!!! In de end endurance is needed as well... :classic:

BTW cool product with cool features! :thumbup::wub:

I only own devices running Linux and Android, so I'd hate for firmware updates to require "Windows or Mac OS X".

SBrick firmware updates over bluetooth have been working well for me, and I'm very happy that no additional PC-like device is required.

USB would be very useful to hook to the buwizz of say a stationary model for analytics of motors, amp draw, Voltage, wattage used, temperature of battery, Etc, through a computer program.

For stationary models, even just drawing current from a USB phone charger would be great :)

In connection to this, I'd like to know if game controllers can be hooked directly to BuWizz or this would require an intermediate point like smartphone?

In connection to this, I'd like to know if game controllers can be hooked directly to BuWizz or this would require an intermediate point like smartphone?

There'll probably be a billion 'problems' when you connect a controller without the smartphone in between. I mean, how would it know which button has to move which motor? How fast? Is it a servo motor? etc. etc.

There'll probably be a billion 'problems' when you connect a controller without the smartphone in between. I mean, how would it know which button has to move which motor? How fast? Is it a servo motor? etc. etc.
I'm concerned more about hardware at the moment. If HW doesn't support such configuration there is no questions about SW.

I'm concerned more about hardware at the moment. If HW doesn't support such configuration there is no questions about SW.

I don't really understand you there.

If it's possible to connect a smartphone to the BuWizz (which is the case), it's surely possible to connect a controller to the smartphone to control the BuWizz (aside from the app support of course). Just like with sBrick.

You don't really need 'hardware support' to directly connect a controller.

Or do you mean something else?

I don't really understand you there.

If it's possible to connect a smartphone to the BuWizz (which is the case), it's surely possible to connect a controller to the smartphone to control the BuWizz (aside from the app support of course). Just like with sBrick.

You don't really need 'hardware support' to directly connect a controller.

Or do you mean something else?

The phone has built-in hardware, like processor etc, which in combination with software, the app, can control the motors. The app (software) determines which port to control.

A controller is just a simple input device. Without additional logic (firmware) it can't determine which buttons do what. So you will need some kind of firmware in the BuWizz to accept the commands sent by the controller. If BuWizz will support a controller, it will probably be a single type, which will be compatible with the BuWizz, not a complete range of controller (unless they send out the same signals).

Hope this makes sense :tongue:

The phone has built-in hardware, like processor etc, which in combination with software, the app, can control the motors. The app (software) determines which port to control.

A controller is just a simple input device. Without additional logic (firmware) it can't determine which buttons do what. So you will need some kind of firmware in the BuWizz to accept the commands sent by the controller. If BuWizz will support a controller, it will probably be a single type, which will be compatible with the BuWizz, not a complete range of controller (unless they send out the same signals).

Hope this makes sense :tongue:

Yes, that surely makes sense, because I think that's close to what I meant earlier.

However, as I said earlier, if it would be possible to directly connect a controller to the BuWizz, it would be fairly hard-coded as to what does what. That's not really useful.

Another thing: what exactly is this discussion about now? Where is it heading? It gets a bit confusing as to what point everyone is actually trying to make now :grin:

OK, I think I need to "take the reins" :classic:

USB connectivity: not needed for FW updates, this will be done over BT (from Android or iOS App). USB can be used for connection to PC/Mac/Linux box, but here you can also use Bluetooth

Data measurement, etc. can also be done through BT

@2LegoOrNot2Lego: simply adding more motors will not drain the battery faster, but actually using them will :wink:. OK, joke aside: moving relatively slow models (think Volvo 42030) the battery lasts quite a long time, but driving a superfast 2xRC motor powered beast will drain the battery pretty quickly.

Current BuWizz size/power/battery is a compromise. We are thinking about high performance version (as mentioned already) which would also have a larger battery.

Gamepads: In theory, BuWizz could work directly with a gamepad, but this would require a

- Bluetooth Smart gamepad

- considerable effort modifying the firmware accordingly

- you would still need to connect a smartphone at least for setup (i.e. setting up which gamepad button controls which BuWizz channel)

Gamepads: In theory, BuWizz could work directly with a gamepad, but this would require a

- Bluetooth Smart gamepad

- considerable effort modifying the firmware accordingly

If you say this WILL BE implemented (could be not at the start of the product sales) you are high on my list then.
- you would still need to connect a smartphone at least for setup (i.e. setting up which gamepad button controls which BuWizz channel)
That's not an issue at all. I hope you understand the reason behind asking for gamepad control. It is not that nobody has smartphone these days (although there are some without BT v4.x) but the lack of touch feedback ones give. Like you cannot tell without watching if you fingers hit the right controller at required deviation (1/4, half, 3/4 throttle as example)

If you say this WILL BE implemented (could be not at the start of the product sales) you are high on my list then.

That's not an issue at all. I hope you understand the reason behind asking for gamepad control. It is not that nobody has smartphone these days (although there are some without BT v4.x) but the lack of touch feedback ones give. Like you cannot tell without watching if you fingers hit the right controller at required deviation (1/4, half, 3/4 throttle as example)

If that's the reason you would like to be able to directly connect controllers without a smartphone in between, it doesn't matter if there's a smartphone in between right? You're still using the controller (with physical feedback).

You can just as easily connect a controller to a smartphone and then control an sBrick (with your physical controller feedback).

If that's the reason you would like to be able to directly connect controllers without a smartphone in between, it doesn't matter if there's a smartphone in between right? You're still using the controller (with physical feedback).

You can just as easily connect a controller to a smartphone and then control an sBrick (with your physical controller feedback).

Although it's a nice solution, wouldn't that double the lag?

Although it's a nice solution, wouldn't that double the lag?

Well, probably theoretically yes.

But when I used a Bluetooth controller through my phone with an sBrick controlling a car, I had zero 'lag' problems and was able to drive the car perfectly fine.

I didn't test anything or whatever though, just driving around :wink:

Well, probably theoretically yes.

But when I used a Bluetooth controller through my phone with an sBrick controlling a car, I had zero 'lag' problems and was able to drive the car perfectly fine.

I didn't test anything or whatever though, just driving around :wink:

Okay, sounds cool! :thumbup:

True, you can use laptop as well :classic: , but this is a workaround, rather than a solution. I understand technical reasons why intermediate device is needed, but don't see a point of doing this.

@2LegoOrNot2Lego: simply adding more motors will not drain the battery faster, but actually using them will :wink:. OK, joke aside: moving relatively slow models (think Volvo 42030) the battery lasts quite a long time, but driving a superfast 2xRC motor powered beast will drain the battery pretty quickly.

Current BuWizz size/power/battery is a compromise. We are thinking about high performance version (as mentioned already) which would also have a larger battery.

You are right about that... :laugh: Thanks for your answer, I can live with that. I understand about it being a compromise, that is what life is about I guess... :wink:

Smart to have ideas for a high performance version as well, sorry for missing the previous comment on that...

So me and Roni went to test the offroader again, but this time we increased the gear ratio from 1:5 to 3:5, effectively increasing the speed 3x times and also used a even higher LUDICROUS power mode.

Because I know words cannot tell the whole picture, here's a video of the LUDICROUS performance.

Looking forward to build large Formula-1 with ludicrous speed!

However, it's seems like there's bad tendency with backing on Kickstarter. There is comment that suggests good ideas to reach the goal. I hope you will consider it.

Within a couple of days I'll be testing a BuWizz with my truck models too. I offered BuWizz to help them promote one of there prototypes, it would be cool if this becomes a reality indeed! Well I even think it deserves it... :wub:

Imagine the number of possibilities this BuWizz offers!

For me it is important to test the extra power that can be achieved. Find out what it means giving my truck models the extra torque... I am very excited about it and looking forward to receive and start testing it! :thumbup::classic:

A backer here. 9 days left and I'm starting to worry. As an AFOL, I don't think there's anything in the product that would prevent success. I think it's visibility. You should take every action you can to increase it and let people know you are there. You are not getting enough followers in Facebook and you are in Instagram with zero posts.

There's a 9000 people Lego Technic group in Facebook that has SBrick stuff all over it. I browsed a few pages but could not find anything from you. I know these groups are not very fond of manufacturers coming in and advertising. But maybe someone who's active there could share your campaign again to put up a fight with SBrick there?