Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

47 minutes ago, jrx said:

You have to write to the BuWizz Guys. They'll send you an invite to the beta of the app. The beta you'll install via the Testflight app from Apple.

Thanks! (And thanks to LXF too :) )

I ordered a Buwizz two days ago, and after reading this thread I was expecting some weeks to get it, but I just received it today, so in less than 48 hours from my order. Now to make some good use of it!

Hi all,

Testflight is no longer needed, according to CREATOR. Now IOS app available in AppStore. Search under Apps for Iphone if you are using an Ipad.

The BuWizz is being charged even if it is not in the "ON" mode. When the charging cable is plugged in, you can "ON" the unit to check whether it is fully charged or not.

If led color is ORANGE, it means that still not fully charged. The unit will always be automatically switched off after a few minutes of idling, but charging still in progress.

After around 2 hours, you can "ON" the unit again. If led is GREEN, then it is fully charged and good to go.

It will normal take 2 to 3 hours to fully charge the unit. (I have done it to more than 10 units.)

For Android users, you can follow the following steps to update the firmware (1st time usage):

1) Switch on the unit. Should be GREEN led.

2) Open your BuWizz app and select "Let's race".

3) Press "SETUP".

4) Press BuWizz icon button at top right corner.

5) Press "Refresh".

6) Click the check box beside BuWizz ID. (GREEN dot will appear.)

7) Press "<" at top left corner 2 times.

8) Press "START ENGINE".

9) Updating should be in progress (Blinking RED led). Will need to keep your device "AWAKE" during the process by touching its screen, updating might hang if not done so.

10) Will go into joystick screen when updating is done. Now really good to "START ENGINE"!

Hope the above steps will help.

Rgds.

Forgot to mention, remember to ON the Bluetooth on your devices before opening BuWizz app. ;-)

** For IOS app, it will be the same steps for updating firmware. Just tested.

24 minutes ago, Alan Teo said:

Rgds.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Are you affiliated with the Buwizz company?

40 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Are you affiliated with the Buwizz company?

I am not affiliated to BuWizz company.

I have bought more than 10 BuWizzes from them for MOCs like Madoca1977's White Icarus, brunojj1's Mercedes DTM, BMW DTM & Ferrari Red Spider, and TommyStyrvoky's M4A2E8 Fury Sherman Tank.

Now waiting for their next version of app to fully integrate the units.

By the way, IOS app is faster in updating the firmware as compared to the Android app. Hope this helps too. Cheers!

Edited by Alan Teo

2 hours ago, Alan Teo said:

Hi all,

Testflight is no longer needed, according to CREATOR. Now IOS app available in AppStore. Search under Apps for Iphone if you are using an Ipad.

The BuWizz is being charged even if it is not in the "ON" mode. When the charging cable is plugged in, you can "ON" the unit to check whether it is fully charged or not.

If led color is ORANGE, it means that still not fully charged. The unit will always be automatically switched off after a few minutes of idling, but charging still in progress.

After around 2 hours, you can "ON" the unit again. If led is GREEN, then it is fully charged and good to go.

It will normal take 2 to 3 hours to fully charge the unit. (I have done it to more than 10 units.)

For Android users, you can follow the following steps to update the firmware (1st time usage):

1) Switch on the unit. Should be GREEN led.

2) Open your BuWizz app and select "Let's race".

3) Press "SETUP".

4) Press BuWizz icon button at top right corner.

5) Press "Refresh".

6) Click the check box beside BuWizz ID. (GREEN dot will appear.)

7) Press "<" at top left corner 2 times.

8) Press "START ENGINE".

9) Updating should be in progress (Blinking RED led). Will need to keep your device "AWAKE" during the process by touching its screen, updating might hang if not done so.

10) Will go into joystick screen when updating is done. Now really good to "START ENGINE"!

Rgds.

Forgot to mention, remember to ON the Bluetooth on your devices before opening BuWizz app. ;-)

** For IOS app, it will be the same steps for updating firmware. Just tested.

Indeed, very helpful. After playing with my unit last night, it worked and I came to the same conclusions.

Wish the BuWizz flks would have included these instructions. The units are not as intuitive as I'd have hoped for.

2 hours ago, Alan Teo said:

I have bought more than 10 BuWizzes from them for MOCs like Madoca1977's White Icarus, brunojj1's Mercedes DTM, BMW DTM & Ferrari Red Spider, and TommyStyrvoky's M4A2E8 Fury Sherman Tank.

I also bought a couple and really wanted to test it out on the ICARUS and BMW DTM which I believe would benefit dramatically from.  It is too bad I can't use them until customizable software is available.  IMO they should have included some sort of customization option even if only in three modes, how hard would it be to assign two ports to the same function?

Edited by technic_addict

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Indeed, very helpful. After playing with my unit last night, it worked and I came to the same conclusions.

Wish the BuWizz flks would have included these instructions. The units are not as intuitive as I'd have hoped for.

I agree, the brick isn't that much intuitive to be used without instructions.

I got my unit recently and had some doubts because it isn't that obvious that the BuWizz should be turned on to check out the charging process.
I had to try about fifteen times before it finally was updated. It is funny that the progress bar was moving only when I were looking at it and when I looked away it stopped. So the last time I tried i was sitting for a few minutes looking how progress bar slowly moved:)
Besides of all this I really like how stable the connection is. The official SBrick App can't provide the same connection stability with SBrick on my cheap Android table.
Hope they will release a gamepad support or at least BLE protocols so Imurvai could make it:)

3 minutes ago, Limga said:

It is funny that the progress bar was moving only when I were looking at it and when I looked away it stopped.

Quantum Mechanics at work!

got mine today and charging went fast and firmware updated fast. Tested it in one of madoca's cars and despite the limitations of the app it worked great!! very happy. Hoping the app gets updated soon 

6 hours ago, technic_addict said:

I also bought a couple and really wanted to test it out on the ICARUS and BMW DTM which I believe would benefit dramatically from.  It is too bad I can't use them until customizable software is available.  IMO they should have included some sort of customization option even if only in three modes, how hard would it be to assign two ports to the same function?

I agree with your last sentence. But we will just have to wait for now until new app version is released... 

Performance is great but the app is indeed the limitation here. To complete my Terex I would be willing to trade for sbrick since the creator does not really provide regular updates to show progress, or share an updated timeline with the backers.

15 hours ago, technic_addict said:

IMO they should have included some sort of customization option even if only in three modes, how hard would it be to assign two ports to the same function?

I don't want to go too far down the SBrick/BuWizz rabbit hole here, but given issues the former had with its apps, particularly on Android, at launch I can understand why the BuWizz app would be released with a focus on performance/reliability rather than customization. It seems to be the right choice so far, with the majority of public comments on functionality being positive. I think we're all eagerly awaiting the next step for the app to unleash the "true" potential of these bricks.

4 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

I don't want to go too far down the SBrick/BuWizz rabbit hole here, but given issues the former had with its apps, particularly on Android, at launch I can understand why the BuWizz app would be released with a focus on performance/reliability rather than customization. It seems to be the right choice so far, with the majority of public comments on functionality being positive. I think we're all eagerly awaiting the next step for the app to unleash the "true" potential of these bricks.

I do agree with your general statement; however, it just seems it would have been so easy to implement multiple ports to a function without impacting performance or reliability.  I didn't get Sbrick through kickstarter so maybe I set my expectations a bit too high with Buwizz.  Then again; I look at the software of the new PFx and it looks absolutely amazing.

I too have high hopes for this product but I'm taking it slow for now and hopefully a great app and features will follow!!

So , after a happy succesful start I found myself with a firmware update problem. I was testing a chasssis when an update screen suddently came up , but the update never happened ( it has been with that screen for 5 hours straight) Any help?

33052709994_1d9ca49d47_z.jpgStuck :/ by Alaxaf, on Flickr

I had this problem during an update. So, I stopped the brick and the app, I restarted all, and that worked perfectly. :classic:

3 hours ago, LXF said:

So , after a happy succesful start I found myself with a firmware update problem. I was testing a chasssis when an update screen suddently came up , but the update never happened ( it has been with that screen for 5 hours straight) Any help?

Try restarting the App. In previous comments many people shared their experience about firmware update and solved the same problem with restarting the App. I have restarted the App several times... 

3 hours ago, Anto said:

I had this problem during an update. So, I stopped the brick and the app, I restarted all, and that worked perfectly. :classic:

17 minutes ago, Limga said:

Try restarting the App. In previous comments many people shared their experience about firmware update and solved the same problem with restarting the App. I have restarted the App several times... 

I've tried restarting my device and BuWizz several times , cleaned cache data ... no success. Also , the update always starts when I start using the BuWizz , not when it connects, so I can use it, but for a limited amount of time. Sony Xperia M4 Aqua , Android 5.0

Just now, LXF said:

I've tried restarting my device and BuWizz several times , cleaned cache data ... no success. Also , the update always starts when I start using the BuWizz , not when it connects, so I can use it, but for a limited amount of time. Sony Xperia M4 Aqua , Android 5.0

Did you try restarting only the App several times without restarting the device and BuWizz? It worked to me.
And you can try another device from your family or friends. Good luck! It worths the efforts:)

I just completed the "buwizz-ment" of my 42065, and I must say the device has a huge potential, probably limited by the app mainly, plus a couple of design limits.

First, the pros: surely the weight and size, one picture (well, a layout of 4 to be honest) is worth a thousand words:

800x568.jpg

Even counting the additional pieces to lock the buwizz, it's still 136 gr less than the original build, and a lot of saved space! Here comes one of the issues, that are the holes to insert pins into. I guess that the inside of the buwizz is pretty packed, but some additional holes would have helped. The other issue is the app, it's still pretty limited, I was able to use the bulldozer profile but I would like to see for example the option to group the two motors in the same joystick rather than using the two sliders. But even now, the fine selection of the power, and the range it has are really amazing.

Edited by dellock6

Just received my BuWizz and I'd like to say that I faced no issues with connection and firmware upgrade. It works amazing and only thing that remains is customization of a controls layout for a perfect results.

Also, I faced one unexpected situation - MOCs with Buggy motors, now they really needs some brakes :grin:
Probably one more servo or M-motor, disks, rubber liftarms (Attika's amazing solution) and some LEDs for a brakelight would help...

28 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Just received my BuWizz and I'd like to say that I faced no issues with connection and firmware upgrade. It works amazing and only thing that remains is customization of a controls layout for a perfect results.

Also, I faced one unexpected situation - MOCs with Buggy motors, now they really needs some brakes :grin:
Probably one more servo or M-motor, disks, rubber liftarms (Attika's amazing solution) and some LEDs for a brakelight would help...

:thumbup: :wink: Just make sure you counter steer. :grin:

Edited by Attika

I received my BuWizz a few weeks back and have been really enjoying the power! I have plans to create models specifically around the BuWizz and I will be sure to share my conclusions. But here is my current review, tested with the sublime 42030!

Cheers

Edited by Rooneypower