Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

@Toastie Currents, so I guess the "h" after the Ampere is too much there as it is only used when its about the capacity of the accumulator, correct?

35 minutes ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Currents

OK, yes - that makes sense (to me). Thank you for clarifying!

Best wishes,
Thorsten

Does anyone know for sure if the 88018 motor should work in center steer on Buwizz 3.0? I have no problems using it as a drive motor but in center steer, I can't seem to get it to return to center. No problems in the same application using the Technic L motor and PU medium. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if this is a no-go? 

88018_prod.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&

2 hours ago, shroomzofdoom said:

Does anyone know for sure if the 88018 motor should work in center steer on Buwizz 3.0? I have no problems using it as a drive motor but in center steer, I can't seem to get it to return to center. No problems in the same application using the Technic L motor and PU medium. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if this is a no-go? 

88018_prod.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&

Buwizz has said this April. I really hope so as I've a model in the bench which needs that.

@amorti sure the support for the servo mode to be used with the motor was also announced within that and may not be delivered "in the future"?!

Screenshot_20230324_101516_Chrome.jpg

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

My BuWizz 3.0 brick keeps on shutting down after 10 seconds of BuWizz motor fueled fun and will only turn back on if a charging cable in inserted in and then out. This happens repeatedly and the battery is fully charged. Does anybody else experience the same issue and what is the solution? I really don't want to have to return or exchange my 3.0 brick.

@StudWorks As already pointed out, please supply us with the currents which it reached until it shut down.

The thing of interest:

VideoCapture_20230325-235058.jpg

The red one is the peak of the output.

Its likely your peak currents are too high and / or applied for too long. Without more information nobody can really help you to identify.

Please also keep in mind: It is likely you are reaching the limits of the Buwizz unit with your setup.. At least from the results you are telling us..

Edit: You also have seen the screenshot from my posting above, where they (Company of Buwizz) stated they will fix exactly the issue you seem to have? If not, please read and then wait, like we are all doing..  as unfortunate as it is..

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

If you're running two buwizz motors off one bw3, then despite the now rolled back sales promise, it can't do that without shutting down.

Especially if they're driving a heavy model, and double especially if they're going through a friction heavy gearbox first. By that I mean even just a few gears and a bevel to a differential.

My second MOC with Buwizz has been this Trophy Truck and it's a blast to play with. All I have to do is make sure I don't make sudden high changes of motor speed and the BW3 doesn't shut down. If it does, I carry around a powerbank + cable to reset it. What worked best for me regarding steering was using a custom exponential setup allowing me to make very small corrections when going straight or large turns at the edges of slider.

Even going full speed for a while doesn't shut the BW3 down, although with the car going ~12km/h I can't let it go that fast too long cause it gets too far.

If only the BC2 app had not 250ms delay between controller and motors. You just can't drive fast cars with that. Looking forward to the update though!

PGF6VcN.png

6dbGL7L.png

THD9iyR.jpg

Looks really fun to play with! 

I also have in mind a buggy powered by two BuWizz motors, just to have fun! :)

2 hours ago, Methes said:

My second MOC with Buwizz has been this Trophy Truck and it's a blast to play with.

Looks cool, but I wonder how much those old CV joints wear under the stress of those two Buwizz motors?

46 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Looks cool, but I wonder how much those old CV joints wear under the stress of those two Buwizz motors?

We're kinda stuck with the old CV joints at the wheel hub until/unless Lego gives us something better. A metal U-joint would also work and be more durable, but not ideal since it wouldn't be aligned and so the axle would have to flex for it to work.

There's always the argument to increase speed through the drivetrain to reduce torque, then use planetary hubs. But that's a risky game when you're playing with buggy motors, and stuff melts real quick.

Edited by amorti

6 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I haven't had issues so far. Might because of two reasons:

1) I don't do sudden changes of motor speed to avoid BW3 shutdown so the joints take a lot less stress

2) Rear axle is dragged with no joints so maybe it takes most of the stress instead of front axle.

10 hours ago, amorti said:

We're kinda stuck with the old CV joints at the wheel hub until/unless Lego gives us something better.

I agree that there's no clearly better solution for now, just wondering if this is something risky experimenting with.

10 hours ago, amorti said:

There's always the argument to increase speed through the drivetrain to reduce torque, then use planetary hubs. But that's a risky game when you're playing with buggy motors, and stuff melts real quick.

Yeah, I would not use that solution.

4 hours ago, Methes said:

I haven't had issues so far. Might because of two reasons:

1) I don't do sudden changes of motor speed to avoid BW3 shutdown so the joints take a lot less stress

I do the same, but still, the sheer speed / power of motors might put wear on those joints I guess.

4 hours ago, Methes said:

2) Rear axle is dragged with no joints so maybe it takes most of the stress instead of front axle.

That might help indeed.

My Buwizz journey:

I ‘discovered’ Lego Technic rather late in life. I’m a bit older and wiser (chubbier) in my 50’s but Lego allows me to live vicariously through my creations. I've spent nearly $10,000 USD in models, MOCs, and the never ending supply line of parts that stretches from Billund to my home in Northern Michigan. So when I told the guys I wanted to try out my Lego snowmobile on the upcoming snowboarding trip, they scoffed.

“Lego has come a long way since our childhood…you can build anything! I have a cool aftermarket motor and battery setup so it can go REALLY fast! You gotta see it!” I beamed with enthusiasm. “Lego falls apart too easily,” Ed retorted. ‘Hard to argue with that logic,’ I thought to myself. But I accepted the challenge as an opportunity to convert more AFOLs.

As the date of the trip approached, I had to change my design somewhat to increase stability. That meant moving the Buwizz from the easy-to-reach spot at the top to an place deeper inside the model. I generally design Buwizz MOCs this way so I can connect a portable pack to the USB-C port during the many instances of Buwizz blueballs that always appear at the worst times (such as when my new design is about to careen off a cliff, head for a puddle, or fail to impress an expectant audience) However, I set my ramp times, tested extensively, and had high confidence in this design. I started early in the day but it took me until 3am. Nonetheless, everything clicked and I had a rock solid design: the wires were invisible, the Buwizz was flawlessly shrinkwrapped to protect it from the snow. I spent another hour adding panels to make it look perfect, packed the rest of my gear, and headed out…exhausted, but still excited to show the guys what I just built. ‘Why did I forgo sleep for a toy?’ I asked myself. The thought had crossed my mind 100 times by the third coffee. AFOLs know why, that’s just how we’re wired.

We drove all day and planned to ride the following morning. We grabbed some dinner and drank many beers. The whole time, I was thinking about the conditions, excited for the boarding but also finding the ideal time to show off my MOC. The forecast that week was for powder but the preceding few days were warm which meant the snow outside the hotel was firm and almost exactly like the conditions I had tested in. On the way back to the hotel, I mentioned I was going to take the Lego snowmobile out for a spin, which was met with another round of good-natured ribbing. As I connected my phone and placed the model on the wide expanse of snow, we gave a toast, everyone fired up their cameras and...we’re off! It took off like a shot (after the 2 second ramp), executed some great turns and was kicking up a nice tail of icy snow. It looked and performed GREAT! (for exactly 43 seconds) Not sure if it caught an edge or because my fingers were numb controlling it with a stupid phone but either way, the steering linkage broke lose and it flipped over on it’s side. The Buwizz went unresponsive and the steering motor kept spinning to the sick sound of cracking plastic. I ran over to rescue it, the Buwizz cruelly flashed red and green and then entered shutdown mode. Buwizz blueballs…strikes again!

“2 minutes, and I’ll have it back up again. Hang on guys!” I tore into it with the precision of a Nascar pit crew, fastidiously laying out all the pieces on the hood of the truck…got down to the Buwizz and connected up the pack. As I began putting it back together, I couldn’t find a critical structural piece and realized it must have fallen into the snow. 2 minutes turned to 5. As the beer ran out, the enthusiasm began to wane. “It’s cold… I’m going in,” Arif had enough. 5 minutes now turned to 10 and Matt left “Hey that was awesome,” he said sarcastically as he headed in. I did the best I could, dispensed with the body panels and left the wiring hanging out. I connected my stupid phone, put it in the snow, hit the accelerator and the model split in half. That structural element was too critical to ignore. The painstaking hours, the lost sleep throughout design, build, test, and improve cycles had amounted to exactly 43 seconds of unmitigated joy. Most of which was recorded for posterity in the middle of 5 minutes of taunting and mockery by my best friends.

I unceremoniously scooped up the carcass and threw it in the bed of the truck when it hit me: “I’m just a chubby old man with misplaced brand loyalty, pathetically searching for the pieces of my toy in the snow. Why the @#%^ am I doing this?!?”

I have 8 Buwizz fun-ruiners now and I’m going to wait and see what April holds.

It’s a fork in the road for them…and for me.

If I give up this hobby, I’ll spend my time more productively by doing irreparable harm to this business.

Well, I understand the situation even being 10 years younger. The only thing I would say it's to don't put in the same bag a really young company as BuWizz and Lego company, with decades of experience and which delivers proved high quality stuff. BuWizz was quite promising, but the development and the time after the initial release of the BuWizz 3 put them into question in many aspects to me, and I guess, to many people. Lego is an amazing (and really expensive) hobby which may give you many enjoyable times. BuWizz is a even more expensive piece that is an add-on to Lego, not even necessary. So, again, I understand your pain but I think is fair to judge reach aspect as it's deserved, and separately. 

4 minutes ago, HectorMB said:

Well, I understand the situation even being 10 years younger. The only thing I would say it's to don't put in the same bag a really young company as BuWizz and Lego company, with decades of experience and which delivers proved high quality stuff. BuWizz was quite promising, but the development and the time after the initial release of the BuWizz 3 put them into question in many aspects to me, and I guess, to many people. Lego is an amazing (and really expensive) hobby which may give you many enjoyable times. BuWizz is a even more expensive piece that is an add-on to Lego, not even necessary. So, again, I understand your pain but I think is fair to judge reach aspect as it's deserved, and separately. 

That's a good point. After all, there are always bricks and plates! I love Lego and I don't think that will ever change.

Edited by shroomzofdoom

I got a couple of BuWizz 3 units and waited quite excited for their -delayed- release. When I finally put my hand into them, I couldn't but feel that they're not what the company said they should be. I even had a 3000-pieces-moc waiting to put them in. After my disappoinment, what I did was to decide what to do regarding the BuWizzs (give them some time to deliver what they promised, which turned out to be a really long time) and focus on what brought my really good moments, which was just Lego. 

1 hour ago, shroomzofdoom said:

Why the @#%^ am I doing this?!?

You know why, you know exactly why: Because it is what you want to do. Because you enjoy what you do. The whole building process - and "I'll show them what I can accomplish - and TLG cannot" - or wants not; honestly, I believe in the former. I am almost certain that no designer far up North in Billund is going through a sleepless night because she or he wants to make a MOC >perfect< - as you did! 43 seconds of pure fun translate to eternity when you stop thinking about the 44th and further seconds! The designers up North have sleepless nights because a marketing special expert with a degree in "How to get the highest profit out of LEGO" is telling them: "Yeah folks nice models here, honestly, really cool, I am proud of you - but - sorry - you have any friggin' idea how expensive they would be? You want to hold your jobs, right? So get the hell more colors in there, we need to drain a bit of surplus - and a good fraction of the people we sell to are too stupid to build a non-color-coded model. And about 50% of the parts are just redundant. Holy moly, how often do I have to teach you guys that very basic principle of TLG design?"

And you did a non-color-coded MOC, you reinforced it, you made it work. 43 seconds is a long, a very long time, time is absolutely relative!

So the others had some fun - sarcasm is a really easy game to play, as well mockery, making fun of others, and and and. Much harder than: "Hey, you take it seriously, huh? I wish I had such dreams >and< the drive to make them come true still in me. Any idea what went wrong? I won't be of any help, but - yeah, I wish I had such nights."

Whenever frustration with a MOC, idea, or program takes over (e.g., this super simple, totally stupid C++ program I am "working" on now, as of 5 minutes ago, when I saw your post) just does not work!!! Man. And I know it is me alone, as I am too stupid to comprehend C++. And me wants that program to work! Would my wife be up here, she'd ask: Who needs it? I'd answer: I do. Nobody else? No. Well, then it's all your fault. It helps to relax, as it is absolutely true), watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation regardless of season is also a good cure. Sparky gets the "job" done. In every aspect. They even have to turn on Auxiliary Nuclear upon his success ...

And be rest assured: You are not alone: I’m just a chubby 61 years old man with misplaced brand loyalty, pathetically searching for a shitty line of code to make this toy turn around 180 degrees. That toy is a LEGO Dacta set from 1986.

And: There is no failure. There is learning. No failure, no "good" learning. Here is to learning :pir-huzzah2:

And you know what? Your snowmobile made out of LEGO pieces is everything else, but a toy. It can be used as a toy, or regarded as a toy, but it is a dream that became reality in sleepless nights. No other way, I guess - sleepful nights tend to keep dreams remaining dreams. And may lead to sarcasm.

Here is to your 43s accomplishment and I bet it was super cool:pir-huzzah2:

And here is to having sleepless nights at age 50++ because of beers, adrenaline, passion, and will :pir-huzzah2:

BTW: You should consider writing short stories or even novels, do it. I totally enjoyed every word of your story, from the beginning to the almost very end; this needs a little redaction, I believe: I'd rephrase the "If I give up this hobby" bit.

All the best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

@Jundis the "maybe end of April" Update may include it or not, they didn't state any clearer..

Edit: Another of those "lost range in under 25 meters" scenarios I am experiencing repetitivly... 🤬

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Good news!

There should be a public beta version of the app available over the weekend with the following updates:

• Firmware update for BuWizz 3.0 with current limiters - Fixing the issue with BuWizz shutting off when overloaded
  • Gearbox module - Allows you to use any PU servo motor to control a wave selector for 2, 3 and 4 positions
  • Improved Bluetooth library and connectivity - automatically recentering motors when loosing connection, etc...
  • Added support for even more PU motors including the Mindstorms Robot Inventor medoum angular motor, Spike small angular motor, etc...
  • Added support for multiple PU steering and gearbox motors

More info will be available in the upcoming newsletter.

Personally I've put in a lot of work, trial and error in order to find and set the default current and ramp settings. I had to find a balance between providing enough power to the motors while limiting the current and power spikes enough not to overload the BuWizz brick.

The tests included all kinds of models varying from the AWD Mustang, Universal offroader, Wildcat 6x6 and 1:10 Acura NSX, 42099 with BuWizz motors MOD, Motorized 42054 FORD GT and more.

Basically the models were driven forwards/backwards with full power with their currents being monitored. Usually the faster and heavier the model, the higher the current spikes produced.

From these tests I carefully chose the default values for the PF ports of the BuWizz 3.0 as 2.0 A with a Ramp up/down time of 0,13 s and 1.0 A with 0 s ramp time for PU ports. The slight ramp/up down for PF ports time is needed since the current limiters take a few miliseconds to respond, but in real-life it's not really noticable. Of course the user can adjust the current limiters and ramp times as they please.

I hope this update will resolve most of the issues with the BuWizz 3.0 and add more of the wanted functionality. Personally I'm really happy that now I can drive my models with full power without worrying about overloads.

Edited by Zerobricks

Those are indeed great news @Zerobricks!

I have never before attended beta versions of Buwizz app before, is it gonna be a separate app or simply some kind of checkbox to mark in present program?

Edited by Krxlion