Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

On 10/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, Zerobricks said:

If it was possible to use normal PF motor as servos, Lego wouldn't have released a dedicated PF servo motor and a new generation of PU motors.

We are avare of the issue and we are preparing the FW update for it. We are also planning to add features simillar to BuWizz 3.0 such as rename, shake to wake etc... with the same FW update, but it takes some time to implement and test all these features.

no offense but also with BW2 we 've heard so much talk about fw updates.. and there never ever came one. You sure that's realistic this time?

On 10/15/2021 at 5:58 PM, Igor1 said:

Yes, you need to wait a few days for the device to be discharged and reset itself. Or disassemble and do a reset forcibly. If someone really needs it, I can probably describe the procedure in more detail. But I think, if you search, somewhere here there could already be a discussion of this problem, since it is quite well-known.

I have just experienced how 2 BuWizz motors can disable BuWizz 3.0. Can you share your guide on how to disassemble the BuWizz controller and hard reset it?

Edited by amatros
typo

5 hours ago, amatros said:

I have just experienced how 2 BuWizz motors can disable BuWizz 3.0. Can you share your guide on how to disassemble the BuWizz controller and hard reset it?

You can just try charging it, that should bring it bacl online.

I don't have a Buwizz myself, but I know that one thing people have asked for is a constant power output for LEDs or other receivers. Would it be possible for a handy builder to solder up a PF wire to the small end of the appropriate USB wire and run power out of the charging input on the Buwizz? I'm not sure if that's how the Buwizz is set up, or what voltage you would get (my suspicion is that it would be the standard 5V of USB ports), but perhaps this could work.

Just an idea!

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

You can just try charging it, that should bring it bacl online.

It does not even light up when connected to power. 

36 minutes ago, amatros said:

It does not even light up when connected to power. 

Please send a mail to support.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, amatros said:

I only know the reset procedure for BuWizz 2.0. For BuWizz 3.0 it was promised that it should easily handle two BuWizz motors. In addition, if it doesn't turn on at all, then it looks like some kind of warranty case.

13 hours ago, Igor1 said:

I only know the reset procedure for BuWizz 2.0. For BuWizz 3.0 it was promised that it should easily handle two BuWizz motors. In addition, if it doesn't turn on at all, then it looks like some kind of warranty case.

Well, it worked nicely with one BuWizz motor. But apparently, two BuWizz motors is too much for it. Can you still share the reset procedure for BuWizz 2.0? I feel like it should  not differ much for BuWizz 3.0 and it would be useful for the community to know. Thanks!

On 11/1/2021 at 6:32 AM, amatros said:

I have 2 motors and a buWizz available. What was your setup? I got my two BW motors hoping that they can be supported by y single BW, so it would be good to try your and other setups. 

8 hours ago, HectorMB said:

I have 2 motors and a buWizz available. What was your setup? I got my two BW motors hoping that they can be supported by y single BW, so it would be good to try your and other setups. 

I was trying to motorize 10265 Ford Mustang with two BuWizz motors and BuWizz 3.0 hoping to get some drifting going. It was a sturdy build and the model moved a few times, but after like the 5th try the BuWizz just went off and wouldn’t light up, with no connection or any response whatsoever. 

Hello guys, I motorized my 42083 and 42115 by 1 L PU motor and 2 Buwizz Buggy motors recently. 

I met the BW3 shut-down and disconnect and fail to control L PU motor steering issues too.

Here is my finding, I found if I use the brickcontroller2 App and set the max output to 70% not over 80%. 

Basically, you can play your car for a few minutes. The speed is not bad. The steering is normal.

I still hope BW could fix these issues soon.

Steven

Edited by WW Bricks Studio

On 11/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, WW Bricks Studio said:

Hello guys, I motorized my 42083 and 42115 by 1 L PU motor and 2 Buwizz Buggy motors recently. 

I met the BW3 shut-down and disconnect and fail to control L PU motor steering issues too.

Here is my finding, I found if I use the brickcontroller2 App and set the max output to 70% not over 80%. 

Basically, you can play your car for a few minutes. The speed is not bad. The steering is normal.

I still hope BW could fix these issues soon.

Steven

You mean that you also killed the BW3 with the 2 BW motors? or that was "only" that it failed to control the steering?

Also, the use of the brickcontroller2 is nice, but considering the price of the BW3, they should go pretty smooth. It's already some time after the release and some of us are still experiencing issues with the bricks... :(  

35 minutes ago, HectorMB said:

You mean that you also killed the BW3 with the 2 BW motors? or that was "only" that it failed to control the steering?

Also, the use of the brickcontroller2 is nice, but considering the price of the BW3, they should go pretty smooth. It's already some time after the release and some of us are still experiencing issues with the bricks... :(  

Hi, I am also killed the BW3 with the 2 BW motors.  Have you ever experienced these bugs?

WOW. No, i didn't yet. Nevertheless, given that both of you guys, @WW Bricks Studio and @amatros, experience the same issue I am a little bit afraid. One of the major aims of the BW3 was to be able to cope with two BW motors, but it seems not only that the maximal output of the motos cannot be reached but also that the unit completly dies, no?

None of you were finally able to recover the BW3 from dead?

PS: Although it scares me, I will try, as in such case it is something that should not happen and seems to be a serious issue (I bough 2 BW motors just to mount them in a BW3). 

I unfortunately also was able to shut down my Buwizz 3.0 with two Buwizz motors. But at least I can recover it by connecting power supply. It is scary perspective if my solution someday will stop working for me.

Edited by keymaker

1 hour ago, HectorMB said:

WOW. No, i didn't yet. Nevertheless, given that both of you guys, @WW Bricks Studio and @amatros, experience the same issue I am a little bit afraid. One of the major aims of the BW3 was to be able to cope with two BW motors, but it seems not only that the maximal output of the motos cannot be reached but also that the unit completly dies, no?

None of you were finally able to recover the BW3 from dead?

PS: Although it scares me, I will try, as in such case it is something that should not happen and seems to be a serious issue (I bough 2 BW motors just to mount them in a BW3). 

The maximal output of the motors can be reached but the unit would completly die in a few seconds, even though I have gently played the car.

I can recover my BW3 from dead but which means we can only play the car inside the house.

Yesterday, I played my 42083 (1xBW3, 2 Bu motors, 1 PU L motor ) controlled by brickcontroller 2, and max outputs are 70%, it can run about 2 minutes and the motor might be hot so stop working ( I am not sure the reason). Hopefully, you can find a better way.

I believe the BW team can easily clear this up and should do so. However, @Zerobricks repeatedly stated here, that such issues are taken care of by BW tech support. Did any of you tried to contacting them directly? And if so, do you mid to share the reply from BW support?

Lets think a bit about LiPos :pir-thumb: and chemistry :pir-skel: ...

Spoiler

There are numerous electronic devices (chippies) which are used, when it comes to LiPos. Some companies go crazy on that because they are operating world-wide, as TLG does, and fear lawsuits or even harm to people + lawsuits and that can go easily out of hand. Others are more lax on such issues - Chinese companies sometimes (and only sometimes and for sure >not< always) - and integrate less safety measures into their devices. Today, almost all cell phones run on LiPos as power source. Yes, in the beginning there were issues with the LiPos "going off", also with some serious injuries as a result. That has become much, much better: Simply judged by the gigantic number of cell phones in use, blow-ups have become negligible in numbers, that is. For one, LiPos have drastically improved regarding their internal "structure" as well as the chemicals employed. After all, a LiPo is nothing more than a chemical system pushed to one side of the equation(s) upon charging, far out of equilibrium and relaxing towards equilibrium when discharged. A good number of things can go wrong here, as you want the cycles of charging and discharging approaching infinity. Well Entropy is hard, very hard (as in impossible) to beat and over a couple of thousands of cycles, Entropy wins. Always. All we can do is expand the number of cycles, but Entropy still patiently waits (with the chemical equivalent of a scythe in its hands ;).

One of the worst things one can do to an electrochemical system such as a LiPo is: Stressing it beyond reasonable currents. Current means: Number of parallel/consecutive chemical reaction steps per time. Each electron flown through a motor was the result of an oxidation/reduction reaction. The more electrons you want, the faster this chemistry has to proceed. Released "heat" is then generally a good measure of the extent of reactions taking place per time. LiPo discharging is a process thermodynamically described as exergonic - it proceeds spontaneously and with release of previously bound chemically stored energy. One results is the flow of electrons, the other is release of heat.

When discharged slowly, all is good = cell phone. When discharged rapidly = 2 WB motors one needs to carefully monitor several things; and now the electronics kicks in: Maybe BW does monitors the LiPo's temperature. When too hot: >OFF< and wait (days) as safety measure. Maybe BW does monitor max current. When that exceeds the max. stated LiPo current: OFF. It could also be that the electronics itself is protected - in this case "resettable" fuses may be used - they sometimes require time to recover (by entirely removing power - the BW LiPo is always connected to the circuitry, as there is no physical switch entirely electrially isolating the LiPo from the electronics - otherwise the nifty on/off push buttons simply can't work). BTW, the LEGO LiPo has many of these features as well - you can send that to heaven by charging it with +20V - it descends from there after having fully but very carefully discharged the LiPo - takes a few days though. During that time, it plays dead, but it isn't.

I believe it is rather straight forward for BW to tell people here (or via their tech support), what is going on here. Or maybe folks who contacted them and got an answer can post their reply here.

Electronics either dies or not. It may play dead, but that does not count as dead.:pir-laugh:

All the best!
Thorsten

Thanks a lot, @Toastie, the info you quoted is quite clear :). Now, the issues that I have experienced with the BW (Fail to steer, absence of connection in one port) are currently under managment with the customer service. The issue with the steering is persistent and I was told that and upgrade of the app should come and solve this. For the issue at the port connection, I may have to send back the unit for replacement/fixing. So, in this regard, I am quite happy and I am still positive that BW will solve the issues that are coming up. Is not a big company and possibly, the release of the BW3 was a big challange. So, although the price is quite high, i am still prone to think that it will worth it :). 

The other thing is the advertised output. I am happy with the output released in the setups I tested (2 BW3: 7 PU L motors + 1 Buggy motor, and 1BW3: 3 PU L Motors + 1 Large angular PU Motor + 1 L PF Motor). Nevertheless, the thing that was suposed to work well but it might not is to mount 2 BW motors in 1 BW3. It will be good to see if this issue is solved, because I think is an important one. But, I also agree that these kind of issues should be addressed to the customer service (at least).