Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

Received the update too finally :).

It's a small-sized company doing something challenging, so for me it's more than OK the delays, but maybe next time settle the initial shipping dates when you have more confidence ;) as other might not be too comprehensive and realistic about how hard it actually is to manage the development and logistics (especially in COVID-era and global shortages of electronic components and shipping slots. 

Kudos I have ordered 2 and 2 motors. Very satisfied with Buwizz 2.0 so no reason to doubt the 3.0 :). When the bluetooth API information is done if you could please share them

1 minute ago, sephiroth117 said:

Received the update too finally :).

It's a small-sized company doing something challenging, so for me it's more than OK the delays, but maybe next time settle the initial shipping dates when you have more confidence ;) as other might not be too comprehensive and realistic about how hard it actually is to manage the development and logistics (especially in COVID-era and global shortages of electronic components and shipping slots. 

Kudos I have ordered 2 and 2 motors. Very satisfied with Buwizz 2.0 so no reason to doubt the 3.0 :). When the bluetooth API information is done if you could please share them

Ordered the same and completely agree with your opinion. I just missed a bit more of realistic delivery dates. Besides that, I have already a huge MOC waiting for those bricks!

Did anyone received something? (I don't know if the delivery already started it not)

Delivery started for BuWizz bricks AND motors, they are being sent according to the order date, earliest ones first.

Great news! I am looking forward to my package. I really hope it was worth to wait (and worth the money :D)

I'm seriously interested in Buwizz 3.0, but something I didn't see answered in the website and I'm not sure if anyone has asked it before here (don't care to go through all the 36 pages of discussion):

Can the device be charged while using it? Could it be used as a sort of indefinitely running power source like the old train controller which connects to the wall socket? If I leave it on and it charges to full while draining, will the charging resume when the battery is low again? Or will this kind of usage shorten the battery lifetime considerably or overheat the circuitry or something destructive like that?

5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Can the device be charged while using it? Could it be used as a sort of indefinitely running power source like the old train controller which connects to the wall socket?

In essence similar to the LEGO LiPo (8878), right? The latter does not suffer at all (3 years and counting) from constant "charging" (it simply stops charging or better, holds up the charge) when externally powered. Also, 8878 does not deliver more current on the outputs as it would without charger present, regardless of charging power source amperage.

It would be indeed a very strong point for the BuWizz 3.0!

Best
Thorsten

9 minutes ago, Toastie said:

In essence similar to the LEGO LiPo (8878), right? The latter does not suffer at all (3 years and counting) from constant "charging" (it simply stops charging or better, holds up the charge) when externally powered. Also, 8878 does not deliver more current on the outputs as it would without charger present, regardless of charging power source amperage.

It would be indeed a very strong point for the BuWizz 3.0!

Best
Thorsten

Yeah, the train controller can't power PU motors and it's maximum power is pretty limited anyway, so that's why I'm interested in Buwizz, as sometimes it would be nice to have a high power source that can keep on running for a long time.

13 minutes ago, howitzer said:

the train controller can't power PU motors

You mean the 9V (4548) controller, right? And it can't because there are no PUp/9V conversion cables, correct? And this is for a static model (GBCs, etc), correct?

If so, I would >certainly< make my own converters. That forces you to either make your own PUp socket type connector and route that to an 9V connector, or simply cut the PUp motor wire, use some sort of reusable pin/socket interconnector (e.g., of type pin header/sockets, there are so many) and route that to a 9V connector.

Investment: Overcome the fear of cutting LEGO wires, spare 9V connectors (1 LEGO 9V wire = 2 connectors), and a few cents for the connector in between. Nothing for the purists though.:jollyroger:

Best
Thorsten

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I'm seriously interested in Buwizz 3.0, but something I didn't see answered in the website and I'm not sure if anyone has asked it before here (don't care to go through all the 36 pages of discussion):

Can the device be charged while using it? Could it be used as a sort of indefinitely running power source like the old train controller which connects to the wall socket? If I leave it on and it charges to full while draining, will the charging resume when the battery is low again? Or will this kind of usage shorten the battery lifetime considerably or overheat the circuitry or something destructive like that?

Yes, BuWizz 2.0 and 3.0 can be charged and used at the same time. 

Just found out that my order did not go through.  I am not sure what happened.... I may have entered my incorrect information?  No idea. 

Either way, I now need to submit a new order so I will be last in line.  Any idea how long it might take for me to get mine given that I now am last in line? 

5 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Either way, I now need to submit a new order so I will be last in line.  Any idea how long it might take for me to get mine given that I now am last in line? 

I ordered mine 3.0 version several month ago - and still wait for it :(

About older vesrions - nor sure that any queue exists at all.

Edited by Aleh

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

they are being sent according to the order date, earliest ones firs

this is why I ask.  Looks like later ones obviously will be last.  Which is only fair.  But with me ordering so late, what would be the anticipated shipping date (or at least time-from-order)

23 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

this is why I ask.  Looks like later ones obviously will be last.  Which is only fair.  But with me ordering so late, what would be the anticipated shipping date (or at least time-from-order)

Please contact support regarding topics such as individual orders. 

7 hours ago, Toastie said:

You mean the 9V (4548) controller, right? And it can't because there are no PUp/9V conversion cables, correct? And this is for a static model (GBCs, etc), correct?

If so, I would >certainly< make my own converters. That forces you to either make your own PUp socket type connector and route that to an 9V connector, or simply cut the PUp motor wire, use some sort of reusable pin/socket interconnector (e.g., of type pin header/sockets, there are so many) and route that to a 9V connector.

Investment: Overcome the fear of cutting LEGO wires, spare 9V connectors (1 LEGO 9V wire = 2 connectors), and a few cents for the connector in between. Nothing for the purists though.:jollyroger:

Best
Thorsten

Correct. Conversion cables might be found somewhere in the Internet, but Buwizz offers more power also, so that's why I'm interested in getting it. And of course it would be useful also for other types of builds.

6 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Yes, BuWizz 2.0 and 3.0 can be charged and used at the same time. 

Thanks for the info!

Hello everyone.
Yesterday I updated buwizz apps. Now I can connect to buwizz 3.0 what I am waiting for. But now the app doesn't connect to 88012 technic hub. Anyone have a similar problem?

Edited by ds255

Yesterday I updated buwizz apps. Now I can connect to buwizz 3.0 what I am waiting for. But now the app doesn't connect to 88012 technic hub. Anyone have a similar problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem.

Edited by frechettemj

2 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

We had to drop support for the Lego Technic Powered Up hub, since it's not our product.

It's a real pity and a significant drawback, and I'm sorry to hear that. The impossibility to connect to the Lego technic PU hub restricts the use of the app and the BuWizz brick.  

Just now, HectorMB said:

It's a real pity and a significant drawback, and I'm sorry to hear that. The impossibility to connect to the Lego technic PU hub restricts the use of the app and the BuWizz brick.  

Problem is that we just can't keep up with all the different firmware updates Lego is releasing, they break the communcation and it gets really messy when some people update the hubs and others don't etc... Like I said It's hard to support and reverse engineer a product that's not your own.

I understand and it makes sense. Nevertheless, the result -an increased difficulty to combine buwizz and Lego hubs- is the same and is, in my opinion, a drawback. At the end, buwizz is made to be integrated in Lego constructions. 

Edited by HectorMB

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

We had to drop support for the Lego Technic Powered Up hub, since it's not our product.

You've been the best option to have versatile models with that garbage C+.
I'm sorry to hear that LEGO IT crew does not know what to do with their own product.

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

One thing and really tough - and phrased very carefully - and politely.

7 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Problem is that we just can't keep up with all the different firmware updates Lego is releasing, they break the communcation and it gets really messy when some people update the hubs and others don't etc...

And this is the core of the matter. Far less politely, but to the point.

TLG did "break" so many times nicely running "codes" by "updating" firmware and/or app code - it seems is if they are doing it on purpose. The LWP3.0 doc (which inferred - back then - so much of hope) is on GitHub - entirely >unaltered<. What is this? They should either keep their stuff to their own - but certainly not do as if it were in the public domain.

I can clearly see why folks, as @Zerobricks is representing, drop support for such a crappy "product". You know, when it comes to quality (and thus cost of production of) bricks, TLG makes such a noise, it becomes annoying. They currently charge insane, unhinged amounts of money for their "evolving" PUp product line. Where is all that quality assurance stuff? Man. They have folks developing some hardware such as BLE with sensors and actuators - and then the whole thing just ... "evolves"???. I have never ever seen a comparable thing happening >at that price/cost level< for the consumer. What are we, test balloons? 

I thought - as a dedicated user of Windows crap - that I am living in a world of - well crap as many say - which - for me - works perfectly well. Since decades.

But with PUp - I have never seen that. Never ever. Evolving but not sharing critical code. And asking for unhinged amounts of money. We are willing to pay.

Well then: Lets wait for the next release of PUp version XYZ. Breaking code in the MNO App, and in the PQR firmware of the whatever hardware.

@Zerobricks: It was a very smart and - as far as I am concerned - >necessary< step, to drop support of TLG's BLE/PUp stuff. You will be advancing so much faster and with more very nice gadgets to come, I am sure.

Best
Thorsten

I got a BuWizz 2.0 last year and love it. I've wanted something like it for decades, and it's the first thing that finally replaced my old 9V train controllers and control centers because of the consistent 9V output with no drops (and the 11V setting is even better). I want to get a few of the BuWizz RC motors too and maybe additional BuWizz 2.0s in the future.

I don't have any of the PUp/C+ stuff and don't plan to buy much of it. I have a significant investment in PF and 9V now and the new system just seems very expensive for no reason.

Edited by CP5670