Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

Unfortunately I've been trying to contact them to be able to give them my new address as I'm moving house 21st January, but no luck. I hope they will pm me soon .

12 minutes ago, Kim72 said:

Unfortunately I've been trying to contact them to be able to give them my new address as I'm moving house 21st January, but no luck. I hope they will pm me soon .

Now that you mention it, I can't recall even providing a shipping address. IIRC the message from Kickstarter was that backers would be contacted to provide shipping address. Did anybody else provide an address?

6 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Now that you mention it, I can't recall even providing a shipping address. IIRC the message from Kickstarter was that backers would be contacted to provide shipping address. Did anybody else provide an address?

I don't remember any asking for a shipping address, too. I think they will gather shipping addresses after they will be ready to ship.

By the way, I really hope that delays only made BuWizz better and software will work flawlessly. And I will be really disappointed if no gamepad support will be provided.     

I bought it from the shop page (not Kickstarter but their website) and they did ask for a shipping address. 

On 12-1-2017 at 8:33 PM, Limga said:

I don't remember any asking for a shipping address, too. I think they will gather shipping addresses after they will be ready to ship. 

Yup! It's commong for a KS project to ask for shipping details right before shipping. If they ask a year beforehand, your address might have changed. Recently I had to provide my address for SBrick, so this will be the case for BuWizz as well.

Up topic, up!

Here is my last Buwizz prototype test.

Unfortunately, no comparison with 7,4 Volt. But be sure, it was too poor performance to lose time 7,4 V Lipo in such cold conditions. Camera and smartphone discharged faster than changing Buwizz with LiPo block...

• 1x XL
  • 1x M
  • Buwizz

temperatire -21C. Both my iPhones, GoPro and Gimball turned off after 10 minutes of cold play. But Buwizz prototype was still OK in such conditions.

video from my new and second channel for prototypes and everyday sharing  (no titles)

Edited by rm8

The cold resistance of the BuWizz will be very useful :devil_laugh: 

On another note: Any more up to date info? 

18 hours ago, LXF said:

I hope they update us with a "ludicrous mode update" soon..

I'm not going to buy it unless they figure out the ludrious mode..

On 2/12/2017 at 3:11 PM, LXF said:

I second the request for another update.  I know the BuWizz folks are working incredibly hard.  I appreciate the updates we have received so far.  HOwever, we are now approx. two months behind the original anticipated release date, and although I know delays are not uncommon in the Kickstarter world, I feel there should be an inverse relationship between time from original release date and the amount of updates received (i.e. as more delays are introduced we should be getting more updates) The last update actually was not very informative.  Saying shipping will begin "very soon" is still very much a relative term.  Ron, can you provide us with anything else?  Perhaps even a more updated anticipated date?

Backers - I was one of the later backers of the project, so I will receive my unit later than most.  No one has received their unit.... right?  Of those that were more towards the front of the line, do you plan on informing the group when you receive your unit? 

I have just seen this post in FB. I guess they will gather shipping addresses soon.
v1DzERd-3C0.jpg

1 hour ago, Limga said:

I have just seen this post in FB. I guess they will gather shipping addresses soon.
v1DzERd-3C0.jpg

Thanks for this. Not much of a Facebook fan so I missed this.  

Just received the email to give them my address details, so I guess shipping has started!

Me too. It's almost as if @Ron1 is updating this thread when he sees new posts :tongue:

I'm looking forward to getting to test the BuWizz for myself.

Yea....most recent update says they are shipping. If any members are lucky recipients of the first waves of units kindly give us feedback! :grin:

I got two on friday for testing (we will present them on our next event). I work close to the company who makes them, so I got them directly from CEO. I dont know the status of Kickstarter shipment (we did not manage to speak for more than few minutes), but what I got looks like completely finished product, ready to use and with retail packaging, so it should not take long (or is already shipping). I need to clarify that I'm not  a part of team making it, neither paid by them (I will also return or pay those bricks), so I think I am not biased in any way.

58b21df35098e_2017-02-2600_53_55.jpg.08da9ae839c8c42e9b6b1775b0c388c8.jpg

This type of box is for two bricks:

58b21e5ddf55c_2017-02-2600_54_21.jpg.f610e589ef44ad491bc6527479a8ba37.jpg

I did not yet have time for proper testing, but I did test run on my 41999:

58b21ebf3e16c_2017-02-2600_49_58.jpg.41e6b9522fa730bfbc1c9b2a70a1237a.jpg

As you can see it will not fit without some rebuilding. Its too tall to go where original battery box is as and too long to be placed in place of IR reciever. But overall size is very compact and it should not be a problem to integrate it even in smaller builds.

Connectors hold ver well and i did not have any cases of them falling even, even when test in such "loose" conditions. Bottom connections and side holes for technic pins work as they should too.

58b22003d3d39_2017-02-2600_53_06.jpg.0b9a9f4e9813cb69cdf5961958ca7914.jpg

I got acces to just limited version of app, which supports just three pre-selected models (8448, 8275 and ultimate 42009).   

58b2209f07083_2017-02-2601_00_59.png.bc9e8759826263d100b50070640c88e0.png

I tested it on iPhone 6s (iOS 10.2.1) and it immediately found both bricks and connected. After you select one brick (or both, for 42009), you come to above screen, where you select functions for each port. You go bakc and click on "Start Engine" and it works (S-bricks, which I have several pices too, took much more time and trying).

I need yet to make proper test, but from first impression model moved noticeably faster than with regular battery and V2 receiver. It almost "jumped" form start and speed looked better too. App has three speed setting, but they all looked the same to me - fast. Response seems great and you gradual reponse too (slow driving or just partial turning).

7 hours ago, Cwetqo said:

I need yet to make proper test, but from first impression model moved noticeably faster than with regular battery and V2 receiver. It almost "jumped" form start and speed looked better too. App has three speed setting, but they all looked the same to me - fast. Response seems great and you gradual reponse too (slow driving or just partial turning).

Do you think it´s a failure of the beta software that all 3 speed modes look the same? Another question: is the white balancing port still accessible when ports 1+2 are used?

Nice to hear though that the connectivity works better than in the nightmare of early Sbricks. Can´t wait for mine to arrive...

For what it is worth I did contact them directly through their site.  Got back with me in less than 24 hours regarding my shipment. Feedback was fairly vague, but a return email in less than 24 hours is pretty good.

16 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

For what it is worth I did contact them directly through their site.  Got back with me in less than 24 hours regarding my shipment. Feedback was fairly vague, but a return email in less than 24 hours is pretty good.

Can you please share the information you received? Did they start shipping already? According to the Kickstarter post they'll provide tracking numbers, but didn't recieve any yet.. 

I also made some tests with the new app and the older prototype unit I have, reported my findings and the bugs I saw but got no feedback since then.. can't wait to compare it with the final product.

On 26. 2. 2017 at 1:40 AM, Cwetqo said:

I tested it on iPhone 6s (iOS 10.2.1) and it immediately found both bricks and connected. After you select one brick (or both, for 42009), you come to above screen, where you select functions for each port. You go bakc and click on "Start Engine" and it works (S-bricks, which I have several pices too, took much more time and trying).

Hi guys, Roni made it possible for me to test buwizz as well and under same conditions as Cwetqo. I was lent two units as well and received them in same package as seen on the photos from Cwetqo. I must say the boxes are prety neat - I like it a lot as it has nice prints on all sides ob the box showing the buwizz dimensions. First impression - boy this Buwizz is small! With connectors of the motors attached, it is still a LEGO plate lower than the original AAA box (without the connectors on) and has the same length and with. I tested the two units on LG G3 running on Android 6.0 and works like a charm. Managed to test on LG G PAD tablet with android 4.4.2 for a short while and there were some issues as the tablet seems to have to be available to be seen for other devices...but when I got it to connect it, worked as it should. Have to try some more on the tablet.

The App really is quite basic for now, but I find it quite intuitive to use and defining commands to certain port is prety straight forward.

There are three preset profiles which use different combos of a joystick button, and vertical sliders. No horizontal sliders, on/of buttions for lights or gyro controls for now though, but I guess that will all be available in time.

1st: Racing car with a round yostick button command for one handed driving and steering.

2d: 42009 ultimate crane setup with two buwizz

3rd: 8275 ultimate bulldozer with two buwizz

I tested on two of my MOC yet to be presented, a TT crawler (L motor for drive and M motor for steering) and an arctic tracked wehicle with two L motors for steering (2xLA) and 2xXL for drive) For the crawler I tried 1st setup, but I prefer my steering and driving on separate commands so I modified setup no 2. Works great, proportional driving and steering works flawless and with no lag in transfering commands from app to buwizz.

For now, the app doesn't provide the ability to add 2 or more ports on buwizz to one command, so I tried 2XL motor on one port for driving my second MOC - I am impressed - Motors were driven with no problems even in fast mode - on a regular PF system there seem to be cuts of power even with one XL motor per port, but no cuts of power noticed on buwizz with 2 XL motors on one port! Good job buwizz team!

Now regardind the speed modes - my specimens have thre speed modes and work as it should. Slow mode is reall slow, normal mode seems a bit stronger to me than the regular PF system and the fast mode is FAST! That ludicrous mode should be really insane if they do implement it :-) So I don't know why Cwetqos bricks have only one FAST speed :-) Maybe something to fix in iPhone App...

That's all from me now, I hope I manage to make videos of the two mentioned MOC asap, but I'm leaving for a short vacation so nothing to expect in next two weeks...

Regards, Miha

I have also tested/testing Buwizz. On the hardware side, it's very good, the box is sturdy (it went flying unintentionally but survived without a problem). The box seem a bit light, at least compared with regular battery box with 6 AA NiMH batteries. I was pleasantly surprised regarding clutch power. It's quite good. No problems with the PF connectors on the top but also no problems with the connections at the bottom.

I have tested with several phones ranging from Android 4.4 to Android 6. The app (v1.02) is quite rudimentary and still lacks of some functions as Magical (=MajklSpajkl) have mentioned. I do prefer the first version of the app (v1.0), which is straight forward without any pictures. But that is just a matter of taste. However I cannot elaborate more about the app since it will be upgraded (I think that app for iOS is more advanced at the moment). 

I had a bit more problems due to my strange choice of phones. But with the help of Roni, we figured it out and I have tried different machines, some 4WD's, crawlers and even trucks. The 3 speeds button is working quite okay. I was surprised while in lowest speed, the car still had enough torque (I was driving the machine on the grass). On maximum speed, it was quite fast. I can imagine that with some MOCs, the strength limits of Lego plastic could be easily achieved. I have emptied the battery flat out. At the time, the battery just cuts-off without a warning. However, even short time before that it is capable to produce a lot of power.

Regarding power: I missused Buwizz to run the Lego pneumatic compressor with 4 large pneumatic pumps (I have not removed the springs). I have used one XL motor, however the AA battery box could not provide enough juice to power it (it stalled), however BuWizz was more successful. Of course it drained the batteries quite soon. I quite like microUSB connector to quickly recharge the BuWizz on my phone's charger.

The BuWizz was tested with my 9-year old kid and had no problem connecting it. And driving the car over the phone was of course pure joy for him (a bit less for me since he was speeding).

Same thing here... Tested with two Android devices, one tablet (Android 5) and one phone (Android 6), both worked fine. The 3-speed slider is a delight to work with.

At the time, the battery just cuts-off without a warning. However, even short time before that it is capable to produce a lot of power.

The magic of regulated boost converter... as the battery gets drained, its voltage lowers... but the converter maintains constant voltage (thus max speed) to the motors. As a side effect, for the same output power, the current on the battery increases as its voltage lowers, so the end is... abrupt!