Didumos69

[MOD] 42056 - Ultimately playable Porsche 911 GT3 RS

I did not really find which of the gears was causing the friction but somehow it seems that removing the rear axle and motor for changing the 2 pin friction "clutch" to 2x 2L axles fixed the problem. The gearbox is running smoother now. Last thing to do is installing the lockable doors mod and changing the vertical plate fixing.

13 hours ago, RISCy said:

I did not really find which of the gears was causing the friction but somehow it seems that removing the rear axle and motor for changing the 2 pin friction "clutch" to 2x 2L axles fixed the problem. The gearbox is running smoother now. Last thing to do is installing the lockable doors mod and changing the vertical plate fixing.

:thumbup:! This is very recognizable, every time I took it apart it was always a surprise how it would behave. But after many refactorings I got quite confident in getting everything to run smooth again.

I have to say I really appreciate how you and some others have taken the challenge to put this together from the LXF-file only. I hope it feels good to get to know how to take off the engine and the rear axle and such things. Such excersises give a better understanding of this model alltogether. In my opinion that's more fun than building by the book:wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Impressive job, Didumos69!

I've finished your ultimate playable version  based on your LXF file. Very happy with the results.

Thank you!

Edited by daniel77

@daniel77: nice video to show the functions! Is there a specific reason, that you did not go for the latest PDK Unit with the rubber bands inside of the unit? Did the drivetrain and shifting run smoothly from the get-go or did you have to tweak anything?

3 hours ago, RISCy said:

@daniel77: nice video to show the functions! Is there a specific reason, that you did not go for the latest PDK Unit with the rubber bands inside of the unit? Did the drivetrain and shifting run smoothly from the get-go or did you have to tweak anything?

Thank you!

Actually the PDK is indeed the latest version, but I did not realize I need to put the rubber band inside it until too late. I am just too lazy to separate everything apart again to just put a band inside. :). So I chose a lazy solution.

Thank you Didumos and all, for the great inspirations and hints. 

I recently bought this set, despite I never liked the stock paddles, since I saw them the first time. So, I'm following the errata to have a better working gearbox, and I want to add the Didumos version of the paddles, that look and work great. Can you confirm me that it is completetely compatible with the errata? I saw that lxf file contains the list of the total parts to assemble it, but would you also have a list of the additional parts needed, to add to the ones of the standard set? (Forgive me if the information is already there, and I overlooked it)

@Fargo73: do you have a Rebrickable account ? In Rebrickable it's easy to add the Porsche to your personal setlist and activate: "use this set list in build calculations". Than add @Didumos69 lxf file as a new set list (you can import an lxf file in the set list). Now you can hit the button "build this set" and it calculates the missing parts based on the parts that you already have (i.e. the Porsche set and possible extra sets and / or parts). As a next step import the missing parts list in Bricklink and follow the buying process there. Figured all of this out - helped by all the guys here of course - since I am back into the LEGO business again as of last Christmas... :wink:

Good luck ! BTW: I would go for the ultimate playable version, not limited to the errata only. I built it myself and am very happy with it :thumbup:

Thank you very much for the info, @brickhank!

I will surely create the account in Rebrickable and do as you wrote. I really want to address the paddle shifter first (how could TLG design it so poorly?), than maybe I will add all other mods. I think it will be more fun to spread the mods on a longer time, rather than doing them all in one go. I will aslo do the modifications to make the bodywork removable.

Getting my porsche next week I'm looking at what mods to apply. Your ultimate edition looks like the way to go and many thanks for providing all this material! 

Now, when building from scratch, what would the best approach? Are the groups in the LXF matchable with the building steps or should I just build it up as per the manual and the see what needs to be modified? 

On 4-3-2017 at 0:03 PM, Jahwe said:

Getting my porsche next week I'm looking at what mods to apply. Your ultimate edition looks like the way to go and many thanks for providing all this material! 

Now, when building from scratch, what would the best approach? Are the groups in the LXF matchable with the building steps or should I just build it up as per the manual and the see what needs to be modified? 

The groups do not match the building steps, they represent individual mods. I think the best approach is to follow the manual and use the LXF-file to see what needs to be modified. This may still mean you sometimes need to make one step back to make two steps forward.

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

The groups do not match the building steps, they represent individual mods. I think the best approach is to follow the manual and use the LXF-file to see what needs to be modified. This may still mean you sometimes need to make one step back to make two steps forward.

I used this strategy myself and it was a rewarding experience !

Thanks for these elaborate plans for improving the Porsche kit!

As a novice (last LEGO build was in 1975!) I chose a rather peculiar and complex kit to rekindle my interest, and am somewhat disappointed about the many flaws and omissions.
Too bad that I started building the chassis BEFORE reading all related topics about this kit, here in this forum and elsewhere. So I had to quickly learn 'LEGO lingo', about MODs, MOCs and LDD (installed!), still a bloody novice.

Your MOC list and instruction file for the minimum changes comes in VERY handy and will allow for an efficient and cheap rebuild (I do not see a chance to fix these deeply buried changes that late in my build). This MOC stuff is a wonderful method to share ideas and allow others to upgrade their own kits, if no spare parts are available for own experiments.

Sadly you did not include TWO changes I really want to include in my own model:

- a working door lock mechanism; either the spring loaded vEfferen or the simpler DayWalker method
- a body removal conversion (why on Earth did LEGO hide all the mechanical marvels under a fixed body anyways?!)

For vEfferen's idea I did find the attached parts list and plan, albeit without part NUMBERS/NAMES. I am lost in LEGO's maze of components and do not want to order the wrong ones. I am awaiting Allard's reply, but he does not seem to have these names/numbers at hand either so far. Who can identify the depicted elements below?

As to the body removal I assume that only a few different studs may be needed, but have not seen a parts list similar to the 'minimum' MOC list.

Any hint about how to include all these extra needed parts to a single order (hopefull from one German source) is highly appreciated!
For now there is no 'rattling gears', rather 'squeaking tires' to be heard when dragging my Porsche along in 1. and 2. gear - MUST FIX!

Thanks!

DoorLockParts.png

Although @jb70 recently posted full instructions for the 42056 combining several different mods (you guys are awesome, btw), I intend to take the challenge and build the Ultimate Playable version created by @Didumos69. I downloaded the LXF file linked to in the first post of this thread but I am a bit worried because I can only see the chassis but not the body. Am I doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 19.16.25.jpg

On 27-5-2017 at 7:42 PM, Woodstock89 said:

Although @jb70 recently posted full instructions for the 42056 combining several different mods (you guys are awesome, btw), I intend to take the challenge and build the Ultimate Playable version created by @Didumos69. I downloaded the LXF file linked to in the first post of this thread but I am a bit worried because I can only see the chassis but not the body. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! Please read the building directions on the OP of this thread. The LXF-file only contains box 1 and 2. For the other boxes it only contains the differences between the stock and modified version. The idea is to build box 1 and 2 from the LXF and then build the rest of the model from stock instruction, whilst taking into account the differences in the LXF-file.

@Woodstock89

36 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

The idea is to build box 1 and 2 from the LXF and then build the rest of the model from stock instruction, whilst taking into account the differences in the LXF-file.

That's a way too, but may be hard for someone not familiar with LXF (like me).

I had basically 2 versions of the file, one 'original' one where I was looking for actual 'issue' and one where I was just deleting what's already done. So I 'follow' the instruction all the time.

It helped me a bit with the order, still it's tricky. Well, really good experience btw @Didumos69, thanks ;)

EDIT
Bonus, small comparison of 8880, Porshe Ultimate and NKubate 2005 Supercar ;)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6492060 ;-)

Edited by Tecon

34 minutes ago, Tecon said:

@Woodstock89

That's a way too, but may be hard for someone not familiar with LXF (like me).

I had basically 2 versions of the file, one 'original' one where I was looking for actual 'issue' and one where I was just deleting what's already done. So I 'follow' the instruction all the time.

It helped me a bit with the order, still it's tricky. Well, really good experience btw @Didumos69, thanks ;)

Even better! :thumbup:

I might have missed it but I saw your video on YouTube and was curious what you did to be able to only remove about 4-6 things to remove the body opposed to the about 10-15 normally?

Thanks!

-RailCo

@Minimalist1,  @Rail Co I strongly recommend @jb70'S 'pimp up my Porsche' free instructions - 

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8003/jb70/42056-pimp-up-my-porsche/#info

These include lockable doors, easily removable body, @Didumos69'S critical fixes and mods, sturdier chassis, HOG mechanism, Ackerman steering, improved suspension plus much more.  224 additional common parts required, all available from BrickLink.  @Minimalist1 not sure if you've seen, but there is another (very long) EB thread covering improvements to this set...

i also recommend installing @Didumos69's improved PDK shift module, this was the icing on the cake for me :grin: only a few more additional parts needed and it both works brilliantly and looks great -

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8333/Didumos/improved-pdk-shifters/#info

Hey,

I have a question about the parts list. There are numbers for the color of the brick but I don't know how to identify which number is which color. Can someone help me please?

1 hour ago, mo351 said:

Hey,

I have a question about the parts list. There are numbers for the color of the brick but I don't know how to identify which number is which color. Can someone help me please?

I've put this mod on Rebrickable. There you should be able to see the parts list with the right colors.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-7163/Didumos/ultimately-playable-porsche-911-gt3-rs/#info

On 16.4.2018 at 11:18 PM, Didumos69 said:

I've put this mod on Rebrickable. There you should be able to see the parts list with the right colors.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-7163/Didumos/ultimately-playable-porsche-911-gt3-rs/#info

Thanks mate. With the lxf I can create building instructions which has all these features, right? Sry for these questions, I'm new at modding.

- 4th to 1st gear block
- Hand of God steering
- Hand of God shifting
- Sturdy without body
- Geared up engine
- Dash gear indicator
- Ackermann steering
- Stabilized gear rack
- Secured wishbones
- Improved clearance
- Improved shifters (video link)
- Removable body

16 hours ago, mo351 said:

Thanks mate. With the lxf I can create building instructions which has all these features, right? Sry for these questions, I'm new at modding.

Well, if you mean 'create building instrructions with LDD', then no. That feature won't help.

Btw, did you also consider building @jb70's version? It has all the necessary fixes, quite some feature of my ultimate version and some more things like working doorlocks. And it has full-blown instructions.

39 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

And it has full-blown instructions

They are for experienced builder. Recently built it. Just by some own modifications noticed, that I didn't used some pins.

13 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Well, if you mean 'create building instrructions with LDD', then no. That feature won't help.

Btw, did you also consider building @jb70's version? It has all the necessary fixes, quite some feature of my ultimate version and some more things like working doorlocks. And it has full-blown instructions.

Yes, its not a good idea creating instructions with ldd. :(
Now Im looking at @jb70's version, but Im not sure which version has more features.

I've build it from the LDD - I made a copy of it, and deleted every single part I build :grin:
So orginal instruction + normal LDD + LDD with pieces still left.
Took some time, but model works great,

but there was one 'impossible' moment to build when I had to bent some pieces to made it, so may be hard to make a decent instruction for it.

Thanks for pointing out @jb70, I'll try to rebuild it in free time :wink: