Didumos69

[MOD] 42056 - Ultimately playable Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Does anyone know how much the modification parts will cost to purchase?

IDK, but in Rebrickable, it's just need a 30 parts! But i don't know is it same or not?

What is the best place to purchase all the parts required for the modifications?

Bricklink?

I wish I found this site before I completely assembled my Porsche. It looks like I will be taking it apart for these modifications.

Does anyone know how much the modification parts will cost to purchase? What is the best place to purchase all the parts required for the modifications?

When you'r interested in the minimal version or errata only, see Rebrickable for instructions and parts list. When you're interested in my ultimately playable version, then this is the LXF-file and this is the parts list. For more info and building directions for the ultimate version, see the OP (original post) of this thread. The ultimate version (LXF-file and parts list) does not yet include my improved paddle shifter unit.

Edited by Didumos69

I'm interested in the ultimate version. I do like how the errata parts list is set up. Is there a link for the ultimate version? Has anyone used power functions with these modifications?

This post just to say that you are my hero :wink:

Seriously : what a huge amount of work. I am impressed by your technical ideas.

Thanks, that's very kind of you. I hope some of it is useful to you.

When you'r interested in the minimal version or errata only, see Rebrickable for instructions and parts list. When you're interested in my ultimately playable version, then this is the LXF-file and this is the parts list. For more info and building directions for the ultimate version, see the OP (original post) of this thread. The ultimate version (LXF-file and parts list) does not yet include my improved paddle shifter unit.

Do they have a ultimately playable version on Rebrickable? I want to purchase all the parts at once.

Do they have a ultimately playable version on Rebrickable? I want to purchase all the parts at once.

No, I didn't put it on Rebrickable yet, because it's still work in progress. However the LXF-file and parts list that I made available do represent a stable version (they represent my current build and do not include my paddle shifter unit MOD), so you could use those to build your ultimate version. To order all parts at once you could do the following (maybe this can be done easier, but this works for me):

1. Make a Rebrickable account if you do not already have one

2. Download the parts list

http://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/Schermafdruk%202016-09-01%2008.05.25.png

3. Create a Private MOC on Rebrickable

http://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/Schermafdruk%202016-09-01%2008.07.38.png

4. Import the parts list into your Private MOC

http://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/Schermafdruk%202016-09-01%2008.08.05.png

http://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/Schermafdruk%202016-09-01%2008.08.35.png

5. Export the parts list to a Bricklink file

http://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/Schermafdruk%202016-09-01%2008.10.12.png

http://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/Schermafdruk%202016-09-01%2008.10.23.png

And upload this Bricklink file to Bricklink to order the parts (I don't know the details).

Edited by Didumos69

It's been a while, but I finally had the time to build in my modified paddle shifter unit. While doing so I discovered that one of the CV-joint axles inbetween the paddle shifter unit and the gearbox was mis-shaped, probably a molding issue (see this topic). So the original paddle shifter unit didn't behave as bad as I have been thinking over the last few months. But after replacing it with the modified version the overall behavior of the unit improved after all. It operates lighter, it returns more easily and the casing is more sturdy and gives a better view on the mechanism inside the unit. And above all, it never fails :classic:.

Compared to my original modified paddle shifter unit idea, which was based on Attika's stepper, I did have to re-establish the two side knob gears. They serve as levers that accelerate the paddle movement. Without them the movement wasn't sufficient to move the 90 degree indexer by 90 degrees. I could get rid of the rubber connectors though.

Here's a quick and dirty video. I still have to do some minor changes, but I'm very happy with the result.

LXF-file of the current version of the unit can be found here.

Edited by Didumos69

That is really good, thanks to God you found that mis-printed CV-joint, is really cool how well the whole model is working now, in my mind is almost if i was hearing the real sound of the vehicle while accelerating and shifting, like vrrrrrrrr - tuc - vrrrrrrrrrr - tuc, it is looking very well.

On 16-10-2016 at 1:26 AM, ImanolBB said:

That is really good, thanks to God you found that mis-printed CV-joint, is really cool how well the whole model is working now, in my mind is almost if i was hearing the real sound of the vehicle while accelerating and shifting, like vrrrrrrrr - tuc - vrrrrrrrrrr - tuc, it is looking very well.

Indeed I'm glad I discovered that one. And I'm happy to be able to improve the paddle shifter unit after all. The mechanism is practically the same as in the stock build. The main difference is that the casing is stronger and the paddles return more easily. Apparantly there is no need for change-over catches and rubber connectors to obtain a smooth return of the side knob gears. And this one never fails. Here's a video showing the integration of the unit into the Porsche.

My adjustments to the casing and the removal of the change-over catches and rubber connectors made the return of the shifters far more smooth. But there is another advantage; the paddles need not return as far as in the original unit. In fact, the paddles can be brought one stud closer to the steering wheel. That's a nice thing! And because of the more smooth return, the paddles could do with less silicon power, which made it possible to move the silicon bands (red ones in this case) inside the unit, without introducing additional bending.

To summarize the advantages compared to the original:

• Lighter operation
  • Paddles 1 stud closer to the steering wheel
  • Less travel required to shift (about 1.5 stud)
  • Silicon bands inside the unit
  • More realistically angled steering wheel
  • More reliable

And this is what it looks like from close-by:

Now I need to make a few minor changes to the body to make it fit this modification.

LXF-file of the current version of the unit can be found here.

Edited by Didumos69

Didomus69, You really put the Ultimate label on the 42056, now it really looks like as it should. Great respect for Your commitment. :thumbup:

22 hours ago, agrof said:

Didomus69, You really put the Ultimate label on the 42056, now it really looks like as it should. Great respect for Your commitment. :thumbup:

Thanks! I like long-running projects, but I think this one is nearing its end...

Hi,

I decided to join this forum and disassemble my 911 GT3 RS (currently at step 110) after reading your meticulous original post and pdf file (minimal version). Thank you very much for this herculean effort making a novice like myself feel confident about implementing these mods. I have some questions I like to clarify before ordering the additional parts and diving right into the thick of things.

1. 4th to 1st gear lock

On 2016/7/26 at 4:35 AM, Didumos69 said:

The 4th-to-1st gear lock is located inside the H-frame on the left side. The 90 degree limiter is on the right side. It consists of a 2L (o+)-liftarm attached to the shifting axle and a 4x2L liftarm on top of the H-frame. This required less parts as the 4x2L liftarm also serves as extra support for the axle between diff and DNR-gearbox.

May i know which step number is this in the pdf errata file?

2. removable body mod

I know you already said the instructions for removable body is not included in the minimal version, but I was wondering if you could suggest a removable body mod (Jetros, or hispabrick? )so that i could plan ahead, eg. buy additional parts (if required) and more importantly make sure whatever removable body mod I implement it would be compatible with your minimal version mod.

1 hour ago, turbohank said:

Hi,

I decided to join this forum and disassemble my 911 GT3 RS (currently at step 110) after reading your meticulous original post and pdf file (minimal version). Thank you very much for this herculean effort making a novice like myself feel confident about implementing these mods. I have some questions I like to clarify before ordering the additional parts and diving right into the thick of things.

1. 4th to 1st gear lock

May i know which step number is this in the pdf errata file?

2. removable body mod

I know you already said the instructions for removable body is not included in the minimal version, but I was wondering if you could suggest a removable body mod (Jetros, or hispabrick? )so that i could plan ahead, eg. buy additional parts (if required) and more importantly make sure whatever removable body mod I implement it would be compatible with your minimal version mod.

You're welcome! 1.) The parts that together make the 4th-to-1st gear lock are the 32140.png placed in step 61a and the 60483.png placed in 61b of the errata. 2.) As far as I know Jetro mod = Hispabrick mod. I followed the Hispabrick video for my ultimate version and none of the changes collides with the errata mods. The video shows the additional parts needed. I did however replace the two 15100.png near the dashboard with two 10197.png. In the video the two 15100.png are left dangling and I didn't like that.

I hope this answers your questions.

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69 thank you very much for your prompt reply! I will attempt both your mod and the removable body mod with your advice of "I did however replace the two 15100.png near the dashboard with two 10197.png. "

@Didumos69 I like your use of inline brick images in your last post. How did you do it? I tried doing the same in a recent post and couldn't figure it out :tongue:

5 hours ago, t12ung said:

@Didumos69 I like your use of inline brick images in your last post. How did you do it? I tried doing the same in a recent post and couldn't figure it out :tongue:

I simply copy the image location (url) of a specific part from the corresponding bricklink page into the text of my post and it is automatically transformed into an embedded image. Then I double-click the image and paste the corresponding bricklink-page as link and I adjust the width to 40.

Edited by Didumos69

I updated the LXF-file to include the improved paddle shifter unit and the removable body changes. For the removable body I followed the Hispabrick video. I also replaced the two 15100.png near the dashboard with two 10197.png. In the video the two 15100.png are left dangling and I didn't like that. And I used 5.5L axles with end stop to mount the seats to the chassis so they can be unmounted more easily. Finally I had to change the way the body is mounted to the paddle shifter unit because of my paddle shifter mod. The following image shows all changes I made to make the body removable. In the foreground you see the mod, in the background the original.

800x450.jpg

And here you can see all differences (click to enlarge);

800x450.jpg

P.S. Here's a video showing ultimate paddle shifting, dash shifting and rear window shifting :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Hi Guys,

Its been a very long time since I've modded any technic - I now have the Porsche sitting in the box waiting for me to build it over Christmas whilst off work. Ive have downloaded the ultimate playable pdf instructions a moth or 2 ago but can't found out now where i did.

Im a little confused :look:.  In the parts list from Didumos69 there is 341 extras parts for to ultimate, but........for example page 15 of the pdf shows a list of parts including a grey shock but this is not listed on the parts list provided?

Is there anywhere or Didumos69 have a parts list just for each mod, i.e hog starring, hog gear change, that can be loaded in to rebrickable acc?

In the parts list there is also 2 yellow shocks but i can not see where these are used in the ultimate pdf.  I have also downloaded LDD and the lxd file, I have never seen or used anything like this before for building so any guidance to using this for building would be appreciated.

So.....

Your help on these points would be greatly appreciated and looking forward to getting the parts before Christmas.

Thanks

You are mixing up the minimal and the ultimate version. For the minimal version the pdf and (short) parts list can be found on Rebrickable. This version only applies the modifications needed to get the shifting mechanism working and to eliminate the most severe friction in the drivetrain. The ultimate version is only available as LDD-file and there won't be an instructions-pdf for that version soon. The OP of this thread provides more info.

Edited by Didumos69

Hi Didumos69,

I think I've  traced the PDF I downloaded, I believe it was compiled by Aefferen.

It lists mods such as the HOG Steering, HOG Gear change at the rear along with the rear axle steering all of which I would love to incorporate along with the small mods for the shifting.

There are some parts listed in that PDF but could not work out just the parts for A) steering mod, B) just the parts to complete gear change mod and so forth. 

Is there a way or rats list just for each of the mods in the ultimate?

I'm new to this lxf file stuff and ldd.

Thanks again

Edited by Phiggles
Add more info

Finished building the minimal version and I'm stunned at how smoothly everything runs. Thanks Didumos69 for the awesome work!

On 4-11-2016 at 7:40 PM, Didumos69 said:

I updated the LXF-file to include the improved paddle shifter unit and the removable body changes. For the removable body I followed the Hispabrick video. I also replaced the two 15100.png near the dashboard with two 10197.png. In the video the two 15100.png are left dangling and I didn't like that. And I used 5.5L axles with end stop to mount the seats to the chassis so they can be unmounted more easily. Finally I had to change the way the body is mounted to the paddle shifter unit because of my paddle shifter mod.

I updated the extra parts list to reflect the latest changes to the LDD-file.

Schermafdruk%202016-12-25%2013.22.30.png

Thanks. Keep up the good work !

Can't wait to receive my extra parts (unfortunately no shipments during Christmas... :cry_sad:) and actually start the build.

Just finished Box 1 of your ultimate playable version.

I am impressed how you developed all these modifications and am very happy with the result !

The assembly process was rewarding but sometimes frustrating. For me, the main lessons learned during the build were (in diminishing priority order):

1.  PDK-unit: make sure the yellow gears have the correct orientation before connecting it to the gear box, otherwise the shifting will not work as intended.
  2. It took me some time to figure out the sequence how to assemble the shifting unit side panels with the added beams for increased sturdiness of the chassis. Sometimes the elasticity of the plastic parts turns out to be very handy :wink:
  3. In general: think many steps ahead to avoid having to disassemble and re-assemble parts again because the wrong assembly sequence was followed. While checking your LDD-model, always keep an eye to the original LEGO build instructions.

I am looking forward to proceeding with Box 2 :classic:

Didumos96 Keep up the good work !