Sign in to follow this  
miguev

[MOC] BJ Baldwin Trophy Truck ─ Pullback Edition

Hi there,

I’ve had a harder time MOC’ing this year, so I only managed this little something. Actually, I just put it together in a couple of evenings, then spent several weeks trying, in vain, to come up with a better front, and eventually decided to let it be. I decided, it’s OK if it looks flat-faced, as if it crashed face first on a wall, which indeed it did quite a few times.

Functions

• Drive: 2x 12799 Pullback Motor.
  • Steering: locked with links.
  • Front suspension: independent, soft, long travel.
  • Rear suspension: solid axle, dragged, soft, long travel.
  • Front protection: extended bumper to avoid further face flattening.

Photos from level angles, sorry about the lack of belly shot, but I’ll make up for that below.

27599703011_3101ed4e55_b.jpg

27599703491_69c7e70c67_b.jpg

27063823913_9ec86ff0c3_b.jpg

27062237224_1ba307ff20_b.jpg

27062238154_da0056b3e9_b.jpg

27062241924_a06f59d17a_b.jpg

You might wonder, why not use the lime rims from 42047. I thought of that, tried them on, then decided against it. The original truck’s rims are relatively small and the tyres are big, so I think black rims with lime pulleys look better:

27674244905_56e3062f39.jpgbj-baldwin-2013-trophy-truck-mad-media-04_grande.jpg

And since I had a 42047, if only for the rims I didn’t use, here’s how they look together:

27395763680_d7c75b4932_b.jpg

27599704621_c26bb15d1a_b.jpg

I settled for this small build partly because most of the free time I got was not suitable for building with bricks: in the dark, save for the screen, with only one hand free and with a baby conditionally sleeping. That is, sleeping under the condition that she stayed in my arms :wink:

Much of this time went into reading, so eventually I made it through the MLCad tutorials (Digital building with MLCad and running LSynth through MLCad).

Easily the best investment in on-line reading this year, and here’s the MLCad model :)

I also managed 2 passable renders from the MLCad file, although I’d be pressed to remember how I made them… there was some batch/shell scripting involved.

I'll link them rather than embed them, they are 360 views so quite heavy: 1, 2.

I did try LDD but honestly it soon turned out very frustrating, having so little control over parts positioning along the 3 dimensions, turning/articulating parts around my (not LDD’s) desired axis and the embarrassing lack of pullback motors.

Last but not least, we had some fun throwing it around with my friend Sir Wolf:

Also submitted to Rebrickable: http://rebrickable.c...ullback-edition

And thanks for lxf.

Actually that isn't .LXF file, it's .LDR file. If you open via import to LDD, it will make many bricks removed. For .LDR file you need to make instruction via LPub.

Actually that isn't .LXF file, it's .LDR file. If you open via import to LDD, it will make many bricks removed. For .LDR file you need to make instruction via LPub.

I don't know, I just used MLCad all the time. I took a brief look at LPub but didn't think it'd be worth for this model, so I just took care of having parts in the right order.

Very well done! I'm a fan of those wheels, so this model gets a few extra points from me. How was the video shot? It's incredibly stabilized - was it a drone?

Thanks all for your kind words. I personally find it "so ugly it's cute" on the front part :laugh:

It was definitely a lot of fun, even though we didn't throw it down the stairs. And the faces of all serious grown ups around looking at us... priceless :grin:

Again, very smooth filming and it looks like a very fun, usable build that is better than those that TLG sells.

Why the big hats and dark glasses?

Why the big hats and dark glasses?

We like it shady and dark... well, we do, and we thought we'd be filming under harsh sunlight in the open, but then got lazy and did it just around the corner without risking it much out of the shade.