A build set a few months after the Algus were routed from Mitgardia.

The Algus are defeated and some parts of Mitgardia are beginning to thaw out, much to the delight of the local wildlife.

27216224163_baac4e10e0_c.jpg

27752389011_070f2a1791_c.jpg

My entry for the natural beauty category of the summer joust.

I would like to claim the UoP credits for:

Landscape design, snow and ice

trees (technique 1/3),

and Brick built animals 1/3

Edited by BrickCurve

I love the look of the meling snow, and the trees and deer look really nice! Well done!

I'm rather amazed by how well all these colors work together :oh: Great trees and the deer makes an excellent focal point :thumbup:

Very nice, the deer is nice but the colours are what truly make sthis build vivacious!

Edited by TitusV

Great build, why the pink plates though? I like them because they break up the mundane but I'm not sure what the represent.

Thanks.

Great build, why the pink plates though? I like them because they break up the mundane but I'm not sure what the represent.

The idea was that it would represent moss growing through the gaps after the snow melted.

Very pretty build, the trans clear on the trees looks wonderful :wub: Excellent deer design too; fairly simple, but very effective :thumbup:

Very nice build, I love the little details you put here and there. Melting snow and roots sprung out of ground are very well done. I also like how the patches of ice under the trees are thicker and have a light blue colour instead, with the shadow of trees sheltering them from the sunlight.

Very pretty build, the trans clear on the trees looks wonderful :wub: Excellent deer design too; fairly simple, but very effective :thumbup:

Very nice, love the deer/stag. The colours work well togther, especially the trans clear cor melting.

I really like the deer :) Great one Brickcurve!

Very nice build, I love the little details you put here and there. Melting snow and roots sprung out of ground are very well done. I also like how the patches of ice under the trees are thicker and have a light blue colour instead, with the shadow of trees sheltering them from the sunlight.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

I'm so conflicted about this build... there are some things i love about it, like how gorgeously impressionistic it looks, and the deft posing of the deer - it looks so alert, like it has just caught sight of the camera. :wub: But there are a few issues that continue to niggle - most of them relate to how even everything looks - the snow is melting evenly, almost in droplets, the ground is even in both elevation and patterning - it kind of reminds me of pixillated game textures, and this removes a layer of realism from the build. I feel this evenness could be broken up with differing textures (eg tiles, slopes, wedges etc), or by blocking the colour changes more effectively. But overall i can't deny that the build has a certain power all of it's own, and it's certainly a moc that i've felt the need to come back and study a couple of times to make my mind up about it. It's a simple, lovely build and has been very enjoyable to view. :classic:

I'm so conflicted about this build... there are some things i love about it, like how gorgeously impressionistic it looks, and the deft posing of the deer - it looks so alert, like it has just caught sight of the camera. :wub: But there are a few issues that continue to niggle - most of them relate to how even everything looks - the snow is melting evenly, almost in droplets, the ground is even in both elevation and patterning - it kind of reminds me of pixillated game textures, and this removes a layer of realism from the build. I feel this evenness could be broken up with differing textures (eg tiles, slopes, wedges etc), or by blocking the colour changes more effectively. But overall i can't deny that the build has a certain power all of it's own, and it's certainly a moc that i've felt the need to come back and study a couple of times to make my mind up about it. It's a simple, lovely build and has been very enjoyable to view. :classic:

Wow, thanks Gabe. I actually don't own many white cheese slopes, I believe I have some coming in LUGbulk so it will soon be remedied. The white tiles and wedge plates are in one of my four 52 litre tubs of sorting :wacko: . I really need to get started on that.

If I had added less of the colour change and more of the trans plates, would that have improved the effect, making it appear more natural?

Edited by BrickCurve

Wow, thanks Gabe. I actually don't own many white cheese slopes, I believe I have some coming in LUGbulk so it will soon be remedied. The white tiles and wedge plates are in one of my four 552 litre tubs of sorting :wacko: . I really need to get started on that.

If I had added less of the colour change and more of the trans plates, would that have improved the effect, making it appear more natural?

Curved slopes are great for snow drifts too.

Your last question is really hard to answer. I'm guessing a lot would depend on how you alter the colours. My gut feeling is that you need some white partially melted snowdrifts to give meaning to the trans elements. But then i haven't really seen firsthand what a landscape looks like when it's thawing out, so i could be wrong! :wink: Maybe some more research into relevant source images will go some way to providing your answer?

Curved slopes are great for snow drifts too.

Your last question is really hard to answer. I'm guessing a lot would depend on how you alter the colours. My gut feeling is that you need some white partially melted snowdrifts to give meaning to the trans elements. But then i haven't really seen firsthand what a landscape looks like when it's thawing out, so i could be wrong! :wink: Maybe some more research into relevant source images will go some way to providing your answer?

Yes, curved slopes are on my Bricklink list as well.

Neither have I! And I haven't been up to the snow since I was five...

I will do some more research and, after LUGbulk arrives, I will have another go at melting snow.

Nice landscaping, I like the feeling of the last melting snows :classic:

UoP +1 for both the landscape and tree techniques. Do you have all the creature credits already? Otherwise you could surely claim one for this deer :wink:

Nice landscaping, I like the feeling of the last melting snows :classic:

UoP +1 for both the landscape and tree techniques. Do you have all the creature credits already? Otherwise you could surely claim one for this deer :wink:

Thanks! I should have remembered to include the deer! I will post something in the UoP thread.

Although I agree with Gabe that the pixelated style detracts slightly from the atmosphere here, the colors work really well especially the bits of ice on the trees! Great posing of the deer too. +1 for those UoP credits!

Although I agree with Gabe that the pixelated style detracts slightly from the atmosphere here, the colors work really well especially the bits of ice on the trees! Great posing of the deer too. +1 for those UoP credits!

Thanks, its interesting, the deer has actually been the most popular part of the whole model!

Thanks, its interesting, the deer has actually been the most popular part of the whole model!

Well it seems to be almost a focus point in the middle and it doesn't hurt that its really cleverly built. Great work overall on the build, I am kind of conflicted on having so many different colors but that seems to be a staple of your building style, and in this case it works out looking very well!