It's been a while.

Recently, when I re-watched REBELS season 2, it occured to me that

a) the A-wing has always been my favourite starfighter back in the days of X-wing vs TIE fighter,

b) Ahsoka has been my favourite Star Wars character for some years now,

and c) in season 2 my favourite Star Wars character is shown to fly my favourite Star Wars starfighter!

What better excuse is there to have a go at a MOC of the REBELS-version of the A-wing, and to build it with the livery of the particular ship Ahsoka is flying in the episode which culminates in her kicking two Inquisitor-butts?

This little model initially started as a MOD of the A-wing from set 75150, but as I went along, I started to ditch everything regarding the build of the fuselage and built it from scratch. The clever shooting-mechanism of the original model from the set went first in favour of mirroring the upper half of the front section of the fuselage to the bottom half, and including a retractable front landing gear. The goal was the flat and sleek profile from the show while retaining stability and using legal building technigues, as I prefer with all my MOCs.

Also, using detailed renders from the finished show concepts, I set out to brick-build the livery as accurately as possible instead of resorting to stickers. In accordance with the final concept renders, I also fixed the rear part of the fuselage, especially closing the gaps between the engines and the fuselage, thereby incorporting the engines partially into the rear fuselage, as with the model from the show.

Last but not least, the cockpit-interior has received much needed detail, and even more importantly, has been build with enough headroom and space behind the pilot to allow for the upcoming adult minifig-version of REBELS' Ahsoka to fit into the cockpit.

Nothing fancy, but sturdy, sleek, with much less exposed studs and brick-built livery.

A-wing002.jpg

A-wing004.jpg

A-wing005.jpg

A-wing006.jpg

Here's the finished, improved, completely SNOTted model:

A-wingX1.jpg

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Very nice! The A-wing is definitely on my top 3. I like the way yours looks over 75150. Much sleeker and more tight knit

a) the A-wing has always been my favourite starfighter back in the days of X-wing vs TIE fighter,

It is my favourite rebel fighter too. So nimble. I did never mind the weak shields: you just can dodge everything anyway :wink:

This said, I really felt at home with the TIE fighters though :laugh:

Your A-Wing is simply superb! Elegant, sleek, with nothing fancy and unnecessary - just like an A-Wing should be. Ashoka will be happy to find her ride waiting for her when you get her :classic:

Was not a fan of how LEGO did the engines, but you made them look a lot better. I really like how sleek you got it and filled in the gaps around the engine. Color scheme is great. and the brick triangle was a nice touch. Great Model!

Thanks a lot, all of you - I'm glad you like it. Just today this model has gotten a lot better, because I have the whole fuselage in SNOT now, which also allowed me to get the shape much more accurate. I will post photos of the improved model and breakaway-photos where you can see how it is built tomorrow. It's quite hot here in Germany today, too hot to bother with setting up my lighting equipment for good photos...

Good work !

It is sleek, and has a good flow. Well done !

I prefer the "classic" version though :

- white / dark red

- smaller cannons.

Will you consider a standard A-Wing using your design ?

Good work !

It is sleek, and has a good glow. Well done !

I prefer the "classic" version though :

- white / dark red

- smaller cannons.

Will you consider a standard A-Wing using your design ?

Why not? I prefer the original McQuarrie-design they used in REBELS (plus the REBELS version had a few major characters at its helm, unlike the OT-version), but that's just a preference - I'm not aversed to the OT version at all. I just need to check if I have all the relevant parts for the dark red and white livery of the OT version and build one based on my improved version.

love this a-wing, always preferred the prototype. how does it compare size wise to the original? you need to release an LDD for this. i want it so bad.

Hey DarthTwoSheds, What did you do to mount the bricks upside down. Did you use the old hinges, and invert them trick? or some other technique? Also, how sturdy are they holding underneath?

Hey DarthTwoSheds, What did you do to mount the bricks upside down. Did you use the old hinges, and invert them trick? or some other technique? Also, how sturdy are they holding underneath?

No, the inverted click-hinge-technique creates an offset by half a plate, I believe. I used these parts to mirror the upper front:

http://cache.lego.co...5/2/4654577.jpg

The long shell-slopes on the bottom are only attached to the frame at their rear, which makes them slightly wobbly at the front. I didn't like that, plus I also realized that the fuselage could be a bit more bulky when I re-watched season 2's episode 11 for reference in which the Rebels were looking for a route through the system of Concord Dawn and had a hostile reception by the Protectors. Also, the snotted build is far more clean, accurate in shape, and a lot sturdier in the front. No more wobbly elements there. I've already set up my area for photographing, but will not have the time to do it until early this afternoon, but then, this will have priority. Here's a quick shot of the WIP of my second A-wing using the improved build of the finished first one. It'll be another Phoenix Squadron A-wing with an alternative livery as seen in the show - I'm actually planning on building the whole A-wing squaron from REBELS that way. :laugh: The first parts-order arrived yesterday, more orders will trickle in the following days and weeks... :thumbup:

The grey long slope bricks attached to the SNOT-frame at the front are placeholders - I'm awaiting an order of blue ones.

A-wing2001.jpg

A-wing2002.jpg

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Here's the finished, improved, completely SNOTted model. I've already posted a build WIP a couple of posts above, and will post more pics o how to build this model once all the ordered parts for the second model have arrived and I'm building that.

Also, updated the opening post with this. :classic:

A-wingX1.jpg

Wow, I think I like the SNOTed on even more! I did not realize how spacious the cockpit is. And you are right, the ship is far more accurate, as the slope sides get steeper as the get closer to the cockpit. I think you are the first (that I've seen) build an A-wing using this technique, and it wields great results. I always liked using the double sided stud brick in builds. As it hides the underside and helps with the symmetry. I have plans to build an A-wing someday, I think I will have to copy your design. :wink:

Hm I'm a bit conflicted about this one.. I like the colour scheme you chose and I don`t mind that it's from Rebels (the ships from the show are pretty cool and the stories are getting more interesting).

However, I think that the update here wasn't neccessary. There is nothing wrong with a few studs and I think the SNOTed bricks in the middle look a bit off. It takes away from the pointy front of the original in my opinion. But then, I really like the A-Wing sets and I really liked that your first version looked so much like them but with some nice improvements. So maybe I'm a bit biased in that point..

Still, both versions are very nice A-Wings and have inspired me to try and build my own! :)

Hm I'm a bit conflicted about this one.. I like the colour scheme you chose and I don`t mind that it's from Rebels (the ships from the show are pretty cool and the stories are getting more interesting).

However, I think that the update here wasn't neccessary. There is nothing wrong with a few studs and I think the SNOTed bricks in the middle look a bit off. It takes away from the pointy front of the original in my opinion. But then, I really like the A-Wing sets and I really liked that your first version looked so much like them but with some nice improvements. So maybe I'm a bit biased in that point..

I have the same feeling.

Btw, I think the part behind the windscreen could be 1 stud longer.

With 92946.png or classic slope 2x1 + 47753.png instead of 48933.png

(47753.png is not available in blue, this is why you have to do your A-Wing in dark red. :D :D )

Sorry for two comments so shortly after each other but I built my own A-Wing based very heavily on your original design and I thought you might like to see it!

I posted it on Eurobricks right HERE