Sign in to follow this  
Legownz

High Speed Train Designed on LDD

Hi everybody,

This is my first post and I'm super excited to talk to the Lego Train community. I have been a long time lover of the Metroliner and always wanted to get it, but since they're on the pricey side, I decided to design a high speed train, similar to the Metroliner, in LDD. I made the noses of the locomotives more pointed than the original model and did full interiors. For now though, I'll post just one picture.

After I finished, I realized it gave a shinkansen vibe to it.

VCRvuBY.png

I will post more pictures and maybe an LDD download link if anyone is interested later.

EDIT: I'm back from vacation, so I put up the download for the LDD file and more pics.

64Af1yj.png

This is the locomotive. Originally, it was going to be almost a direct copy of the Metroliner engine, but I had to change the nose and I took out the passenger compartment and replaced it with an engine block. You can still see some of the Metroliner especially in the 2 side doors and maintenance hatch. Both locomotives on either side of the train are identical.

8wYpFst.png

I very hastily opened the removable roof in the build mode. It is worth noting that all the cars have removable roofs, but I'll show those later.

Sd460Hf.png

Here is the Passenger/Dining car. Not much to say about this one.

yRsYdtZ.png

Another hasty roof removal, but it gets the point across.

S6slRQS.png

And now we reach the "Club Car" styled sleeper/observation car.

o3fnz46.png

The entire second floor can be removed as its own little box.

GEZI23R.png

Sadly, no stairs to get from floor to floor.

QctP8R1.png

A look into the sleeper section.

Since the download is here, you can modify mine and make it even better, I'd love to see what you guys can do! I might post a complete parts list to this train and my switcher (Including colors) so anyone can make their own with their own colors. Just a thought. That's all for now though.

High Speed Train (LG & B).lxf

Edited by Legownz

Good, really good! But I would suggest you to raise a little bit that bottom blue nose. That gap looks not very good.

Would be glad to see more pictures.

All train related stuff is available in LDD Extended. Surf the Eurobricks to see how to do that.

Good, really good! But I would suggest you to raise a little bit that bottom blue nose. That gap looks not very good.

Would be glad to see more pictures.

All train related stuff is available in LDD Extended. Surf the Eurobricks to see how to do that.

Thanks! The bottom nose that's right next to the wheels can't be raised anymore, as it would hit the train base and the bogies couldn't rotate. I just posted more pictures and a link in my recent edit of my post. Also, the train wheels can either be obtained through LDD Extended (Which is what I use to build) or import a model that has the train wheels and simply delete everything else.

The model looks nice, it has a great '90's feel to it, just like a futuristic Metroliner. However, those windows you used on the passenger car are very expensive. You might want to use these panels instead, inter-spaced with 1x2 bricks to create the same effect: http://www.bricklink...age?P=60581#T=C

If you don't quite get what I'm trying to say, I can knock out a Mock-up to illustrate...

EDIT: oh, and you might want to find a different site to host your ldd file. Eurobricks has a very small limit. I suggest MOCpages or Bricksafe to upload your file to.

Edited by Murdoch17

The model looks nice, it has a great '90's feel to it, just like a futuristic Metroliner. However, those windows you used on the passenger car are very expensive. You might want to use these panels instead, inter-spaced with 1x2 bricks to create the same effect: http://www.bricklink...age?P=60581#T=C

If you don't quite get what I'm trying to say, I can knock out a Mock-up to illustrate...

EDIT: oh, and you might want to find a different site to host your ldd file. Eurobricks has a very small limit. I suggest MOCpages or Bricksafe to upload your file to.

Thanks! I wanted to use the windows since they match with the doors and give the entire train the Metroliner vibe. However, if the windows are expensive, I can always change the color scheme to one that works with the parts.

By the way, are these the windows you were talking about? On Bricklink, they're going for less than $.10 a piece. Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the windows you were talking about. Since the link you gave showed a 4 wide panel, I was confused. Yeah. $1 for a window piece is expensive, and I have 4 on the passenger car and 6 on the "Club Car", this could pose a problem.

Edited by Legownz

I must say, I love this train. I took a look at the ldd file, and I hope this is okay, but I changed some things while editing the windows. I added headlights (which required lengthening the cab by a single stud), and changed the "off-white" color from very light bluish gray to white, which is what I think the original color was intended to be. Then I removed the 1x4 tiles on the top of bogies, as they wouldn't turn otherwise. I also changed the door colors to the cheaper blue version. Please don't be mad at me, but here it is:

27477263763_2aeee7c9a0_z.jpg

I took out the other loco when i was working on the front one, but it is a simple matter of copy + pasting in a duplicate engine with the lights colored trans red.

28091930655_069b6f6686_z.jpg

oh, and the small side doors were changed too, as these are still in production and might be cheaper.

I hope it's okay what I did, If you don't like it, I will removed it... if you do like it, i'll return to you the LDD file. :sweet:

As i said before, you did a wonderful job and i want one of these for myself.

Edited by Murdoch17

I hope it's okay what I did, If you don't like it, I will removed it... if you do like it, i'll return to you the LDD file. :sweet:

As i said before, you did a wonderful job and i want one of these for myself.

It's totally okay. I think all the modifications are fantastic! The windows are not exactly what I wanted in the beginning, but now that I see them on the model, I like them a lot more. The only other thing is, I designed the locomotive's front wheel nose to be like the 10157's, but this one looks great too!

I can totally do a parts list after maybe a few more back and forths with the LDD file and it'll make Bricklink orders easy if either of us want this in brick.

Thanks! I decided to add some roof detail, so here's another download link

It's totally okay you used my nose on that other model and I'd love to see what the result is. I can create a public google doc that has a parts list (Part numbers, Bricklink links, colors, and quantities) and final LDD download link. Does that sound like a good idea?

not to bad. I would reccomend having the nose windsheild smaller and ot would be nice to see it more rounded. The front looks like a ton of daggers so to speak ;) nevertheless nice job on your first post.

Brick on!

I've almost ordered all the parts for this model and I'm super excited to get to building it. I did have to go back and modify the lead engine for Power Functions, so the previous instructions are only if you want a completely "push" train. However, I thought it would be cool if I could get detailing on the door, like this: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4181px1&name=Door%201%20x%204%20x%205%20Train%20Left%20with%20White%20Stripe%20and%20Train%20Logo%20Pattern&category=%5BDoor,%20Decorated%5D#T=C&C=5

The only problem is, these doors are in red, and my train requires blue doors. What would be the best course of action for detailing like this? Should I make custom stickers or maybe send them to a brick engraver?

I've almost ordered all the parts for this model and I'm super excited to get to building it. I did have to go back and modify the lead engine for Power Functions, so the previous instructions are only if you want a completely "push" train. However, I thought it would be cool if I could get detailing on the door, like this: https://www.bricklin...orated]#T=C&C=5

The only problem is, these doors are in red, and my train requires blue doors. What would be the best course of action for detailing like this? Should I make custom stickers or maybe send them to a brick engraver?

I would just use this door:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4181&name=Door%201%20x%204%20x%205%20Train%20Left&category=[Door]#T=P&C=7

and hunt down a white sticker from some other set, or make your own stickers if you are adventurous.