@ Andy D.......Yes, this is big. It will easily fill two 32x Baseplates

@ Lipko..........Yes, I think I have the latest software. The first files did have errors, but after building once and tearing down, I learned a whole lot of the structure and how to approach building in some different ways to include pieces I couldn't add the first time.

I also learned from the updated files about those very shifting rings you mentioned. That's why the 'transmission' wasn't finished correctly. ( didn't understand, these items weren't included in the first files )

Also I haven't built with these newer Technic elements you have used, so I wasn't familiar with them.

The second lxf files has the "suggested building guide" arranging the steps a little different, but is much better than original files. There are those 90* liftarms that you need to be careful not to exclude. Some support axles & gears, some are strength intersections and some do both!

After the first build I wrote down various step #'s for sub-assemblies and after gaining building experience, knew where to insert these into the main frame assembly steps. ( I hope :blush: )

To sum up this building challenge.........awesome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Lipko

Thanks for the replies!

I said that the gearing to the extension needs to be fixed.

The fix is this, but I couldn't test it yet. Obviously it will make boom extension rather slow, but I hope it will solve the load lifting weakness.

new_gearing.jpg

I will put the model on rebrickable as soon as I finish and test the pdf instructions.

Are the PDF instructions going to replace the LDD instructions? Sounds like it may be easier if I just wait for the PDF instructions on Rebrickable.

Thanks,

Andy D

Yes, the pdf version will have some small modifications for easier building. These won't affect the look and function of the completed model.

But because I build something for the pneumatic contest, don't know when I'll have time.

I have the digital file with all parts and most of it is already stepped, so maybe you would be interested in the ldraw file too?

I'm looking forward to the pdf instructions for this! Your simple supercar was a great build.

I'm looking forward to the pdf instructions for this! Your simple supercar was a great build.

I have the current version, but will definitely download the new version and hope to build it one day.

We already knew this is such an excellent build, but now that ritztoys shows us these WIP pics it even amazes more... :thumbup::wub:

That's an understatement for sure, for those wanting to build this, be ready to be challenged. Your Trucks & Trailers BI are built using elements in the "Model Team" style, which are forgiving if you make a building mistake and have to go back to correct, this is a very different creation and you have to pay very close attention that you don't leave out any elements.( since there are no BI )

My 2nd attempt is going much better, I've stopped here as I'm awaiting elements to complete the transmission, before building to far and I can't add some of those intersecting liftarms.

800x450.jpg

Also I found an error in the new lxf files, you can see, right above the L motor, part of a 3L Blue friction pin. This is replacing a 3L friction pin w/bushing. The bushing pin goes through the 5x7 square frame and protrudes out the other side. This can't connect ( wasn't in 1st files ) to the 3x7 bent liftarm, as it will put the whole steering assembly out of line for the steering axle and small Black gear to go through the support inside the 5x7 square frame. The 3x7 bent liftarm is attached at the inside top of this frame with the parts Lipko mentioned in post #51.

Yes, the pdf version will have some small modifications for easier building. These won't affect the look and function of the completed model.

But because I build something for the pneumatic contest, don't know when I'll have time.

I have the digital file with all parts and most of it is already stepped, so maybe you would be interested in the ldraw file too?

Please by all means, bring on those Ldraw files, more information is better than not enough!

Also pay close attention to some elements that are used in between those 5x7 square frames at the rear, under the LA location. These ( strength parts ) will need to be installed early in your construction or you won't be able to add these later. You'll find putting this area together only to later realize you forgot something and have to take it apart again. I was in in this area many times adding then taking out pieces to put others in, then adding all those other parts that were already assembled, back in.

Not frustrating at all, just getting a better idea of how Lipko thinks!

Edited by ritztoys

Thanks for all your hard work on this, I really want to build your telehandler when I get time.

I just installed Bricksmith and ldraw on my Mac.

I really would appreciate the ldraw files, where might I find them?

Also is there a later lxf file? If so, where might I find it as well?

Thanks again,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Those errors you are having are very strange, since LDD doesn't let collisions to occur. That's actually an axle-pin there in that particular place. Is it possible that during instruction generation, LDD screws things up?

And it's also clear that you are not following my advice about building the groups as they are :tongue: , and after that joining them with the other parts.

Anyway, I uploaded the current Ldraw file and the (hopefully perfectly) corresponding LDD file.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/szecs/telehandler/renders/telehandler_01.mpd

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/szecs/telehandler/renders/ver_2016_final_005_exp.lxf

Those errors you are having are very strange, since LDD doesn't let collisions to occur. That's actually an axle-pin there in that particular place. Is it possible that during instruction generation, LDD screws things up?

And it's also clear that you are not following my advice about building the groups as they are :tongue: , and after that joining them with the other parts.

Anyway, I uploaded the current Ldraw file and the (hopefully perfectly) corresponding LDD file.

http://www.brickshel...ehandler_01.mpd

http://www.brickshel...nal_005_exp.lxf

I did, I did follow your advice, just some of those groups didn't make sense and I continued building other sections. Maybe went to far in construction in some other areas?

I don't know about those 'part collisions' as I'm just looking at the steps as they are generated? Putting everything together very carefully, sometimes hard to see where some pins are added. That stop bushing does indeed have an axle pin, which goes into the two thin leftarms, next to the L motor. ( at least on my LDD files )

Thank-you for the additional files and information.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/szecs/telehandler/renders/ver_2016_final_005_exp.lxf

@lipko. Do you think it would be more straightforward to build from the ldraw or LDD?

Andy D

You went too far by joining the groups too early.

I'm very happy that you want to build the model so impatiently, but you are making me (and maybe others) feel that the model is a mess. :wink:

@Andy D: I'm not sure by now. I thought the build is straightforward enough with the groups too. The Ldraw file is more than less stepped, so it should be straightforward.

You went too far by joining the groups too early.

I'm very happy that you want to build the model so impatiently, but you are making me (and maybe others) feel that the model is a mess. :wink:

Yes you're right, I did go too far in my construction, sometimes I can't get my fingers to stop building. :tongue:

Oh no, I didn't mean to convey this creation was "a mess", hardly so this creation is great IMHO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Apparently my software is out of date. I'm guessing that it didn't show all the parts you used for building this. Thus, this made my construction efforts difficult, trying to understand everything going on inside of your MOC. This creation is well thought out and with a very strong structure too.

In my defense :blush: , I haven't built Technic models like this in years, but I can see issues ( sometimes ) in various assemblies that don't make sense until they are built and in my hands.

btw, that LBG pin w/stop-bushing in the earlier lxf files is now been turned around 180* and is now facing the other way. So there are no "part collisions" anymore and everything in that area works. .

Also the latest files have lots of new information for me, thank-you. :thumbup:

I finally finished this fantastic creation, what a learning process! :thumbup::thumbup:

I think I've built & dis-assembled this MOC about four times, learning how these pieces all fit together, and getting all those pieces installed and in the correct order too.

The nephews are very excited to get to play with Uncle's new LEGO toy. :look:  The boys suggested some simple appearance changes for their new toy, fill in the fenders, change light fixtures background to White ( they said they couldn't see them ), exhaust changed to Gray, & give the operators seat a custom upholstery job.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Thank-you Lipko for a fantastic building experience. :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by ritztoys
Additional txt

On 11-9-2016 at 8:20 PM, Lipko said:

Hi,

This is a beautifull model, from the first post I liked to build the model. So, thank you Lipko for providing the LXF and mpd files. I tried to build it using LDD, but got stuck. After that I decided to build this beauty using the mpd file and Lpub/MLCad. While building I improved the mpd file, making it possible to create pdf instructions (when finished building).

I'm not finished yet, until now I build the chassis and the boom. I uploaded the " work in progress" mpd to my bricksafe.

http://bricksafe.com/pages/RobertGeurts/lipkos-telehandler

Again, thank you Lipko for providing the cad files.

Cheerio,

Robert

Thanks for making instructions, but actually I nearly finished the instructions myself too (only adding Lsynth parts, some remaining callout layout and adding arrows left). I won't have much time during the holidays, but the instructions can be expected in the middle of January (hopefully with a video with the corrected model).

That's very nice. My main purpose is to build this model. At the same time the mpd file provided excellent material to practice with lpub en MLCad. So that's what I did and I thought it was nice to share the mpd file.

The instructions are done. There is a step where parts need to be stressed to insert, but you'll figure it out how to solve that. The instructions are not as sophisticated as my previous one (the supercar), but this means that there are no parts list errors (I test-built the model). Any builder with a little experience should be able to build the model. With the gear fix, the boom can easily extend even under load (with the side effect that now it's some gears are clicking instead of the clutch gear slipping... I'll let that go).

The model is waiting for approval on Rebrickable, but here's the direct link to the instructions:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ju3vX1o4OuM3RGNm94RlJVUWs/view?usp=sharing

If you spot any errors, please let me know. The instructions went through many fixes and it's actually stitched together from many pdf parts, images, etc, maybe there are some pages missing/duplicated.

Thank you so much for sharing the instructions, Lipko. Really looking forward to building this masterpiece and stealing a few pages from your book. I owe you, mate.

6 hours ago, Mestari said:

Thank you :)

Can you tell me what software you use for pdf stitching? 

Adobe Acrobat DC Trial version. Hence the rush:classic: Actually the output was so buggy (objects/text sometimes not showing at certain zoom levels) that I ended up exporting the pdf to png-s than merge them together again to the pdf, so everything (including text) is flattened to images. The next time I'll do instructions I'll just render the instructions in LPub to pngs in the first place...

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

Adobe Acrobat DC Trial version. Hence the rush:classic: Actually the output was so buggy (objects/text sometimes not showing at certain zoom levels) that I ended up exporting the pdf to png-s than merge them together again to the pdf, so everything (including text) is flattened to images. The next time I'll do instructions I'll just render the instructions in LPub to pngs in the first place...

That is a shame, I hoped that you have found some good and cheap :) way to do this. When I am doing instructions I often need to include some images that Lpub won't let me  (or I can't do it) and it's a problem I can't solve now.

I will look at your results, maybe it's enough, but adobe is not cheap...

Well, you could use PDFCreator and print the pages/pdf sections. You can merge files there too. The caveat that it's tedious to use and usually produce large files (it's better to work with png-s because seemingly it also stores the dpi information, so you don't end up with various page dimensions in the pdf). For image editing, any simple software would do (all the steps with an additional view was edited this way, using an alternative version of the mpd with different rotations rendered with LPub. Also, the panning was done by making a version with doubled page dimensions and cut-pasted into the images in the image editor).