Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

The long road home

Great build. The rock work is outstanding and the roof looks lovely

Edited by frumpy

Thanks Garmadon, Wedge, Gunman, Blufiji, deGothia, Kai, LittleJohn, Captn Braunsfeld, songwm and frumpy, your kind words mean a lot to me. :blush:

The height here is really awesome and reflects the mountainous Mitgardian terrain perfectly, plus the rockwork is amazing. Color choices of the structure are unconventional with the tan for the framing instead of darker colors, but it works really well.

Great work Gabe! :thumbup:

Thanks mrcp6d! Yeah, one of the things that has often irked me about viking and northern builds in general is just how drab and monochrome everything tends to look... i really wanted to try to stay away from making the wooden houses so uniformly brown. The tan corner framing was an attempt to lighten the atmosphere a bit. I'm not entirely happy with the result - it works, but at the expense of a certain "lived in" feeling... i can't help feeling it looks a bit too clean? Idk.

Wow, it looks fantastic! The rockwork, buildings, minifigures and the natural arch, all of them look great! I'd also comment on the roofwork, and the balcony, and the pier, but I just can't take my eyes off that perfectly done arch! :thumbup:

By the way, it's a bit surprising to see a Mitgardian MOC without snow and ice. Does this part of your story take place in summer, or is the island on the southern parts of Mitgardia? :classic:

Thanks Sorreion, glad you like it! Yeah, it is a summer moc (it is summer in the northern hemisphere right now anyway!), but it is also a coastal moc, so the lack of altitude and possibly the salty atmosphere as well means that it can be free of snow even when other parts of Mitgardia are snowbound. It would be a different story in winter though! As to the location, i imagined it as one of a small string of isands just outside the mouth of the Bay of Storms on the east coast.

I'm always a fan of interesting cliff shapes with caves and arches. Nicely done!

I'm always a fan of interesting cliff shapes with caves and arches. Nicely done!

Cheers Mike! Glad you like it. :classic:

I find this build incredibly inspiring! How are those shingles attached on the roof? It looks superb.

Thanks Henjin! The shingled roof is a slight variation on Siercon and Coral's roofing technique, you can see their video tutorial here. :thumbup:

Oh, that is magnificent. Absolutely fantastic!

Thanks Graham, glad you like it! :classic:

The shingled roof is a slight variation on Siercon and Coral's roofing technique, you can see their video tutorial here. :thumbup:

Thanks! That is very useful.

LOVE the design! Specially love the rocky cliff and that hole right in the middle of that rocky cliff.

Cheers BrickFit, glad you like it! :classic:

Thanks! That is very useful.

No worries! If you are interested in building techniques, there might also be some on Swooshable that you haven't seen too. :wink::thumbup:

Amazing build! I love the rockwork and the landscape, but that Norse architecture really steals the show! It looks so good!