Cjd223

Building Mortesv's Nebulon-B Thread

Another update. The postman has just brought the package with the ordered test pattern. So, the quality of the print is really great! The colors do not show up in the pictures unfortunately, I will look if I can make better photos, bad lighting conditions! Sorry! I must say I do not like it properly! In real it looks better than on the pictures, but it is too colorful! So I'll stick with the printing process, but use the image of @Lobot! And the pictures are ordered in slightly dull to avoid reflections!

gallery_8754_6681_77014.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_66613.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_68448.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_35733.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_27518.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_86067.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_45987.jpg

Edited by bricksmarlin

Thanks for the update @Bricksmarlin - the prints look beautiful, but I agree that they're a bit too colourful! 

The prints are obviously of a very high quality; I assume that it's expensive?  I'm looking forward to seeing the other version; hopefully the slightly darker (matt) image will be perfect for your display.  You've got an amazing collection and it deserves all of the attention that you're giving it! :wub:

5 hours ago, Lobot said:

Thanks for the update @Bricksmarlin - the prints look beautiful, but I agree that they're a bit too colourful! 

The prints are obviously of a very high quality; I assume that it's expensive?  I'm looking forward to seeing the other version; hopefully the slightly darker (matt) image will be perfect for your display.  You've got an amazing collection and it deserves all of the attention that you're giving it! :wub:

2 hours ago, roadstermatt said:

very nice set up love the back drop

Thanks Guys,

@Lobot No joke, the first thing that's in my mind if  I see the background in the pictures is a funfair! Bumper cars and stuff like that!

But it does not matter, it was clear anyway your picture is more suitable! It will look great when it's done! Reflections are not a problem with the slightly matt surface, and the colors are even more effective! For this type of pictures, the printer has 3 different quality levels. "Normal", "FineArt"and "GalleryBond". What you see here is "Fineart"! The price for an image of this size 144 x 81cm is about 200 €! The three parts I will buy at the end will cover the whole straight wall! 151 x 120 cm / 112 x 120 cm / 160 x 120 cm, I think that will be 1000 € or so. This sounds bad at first. But it will embellish my home for a long time. And seeing it on 5 or 10 years it is irrelevant!?

It will be ordered as "GalleryBond"!

greetings

How are you all building this for so cheap (under $1000 USD)?  When I try to search for parts on rebrickable, even by shopping across multiple stores as a pro user, I see final totals of about $1600+ and that is still missing at least 100 parts.

What's the best way to go about purchasing the parts for this fine model, and others such as Raskolnikov's ISD Aggressor?  I'd love to do this but can't go spending $2-3K per model........

15 minutes ago, saxman717 said:

How are you all building this for so cheap (under $1000 USD)?  When I try to search for parts on rebrickable, even by shopping across multiple stores as a pro user, I see final totals of about $1600+ and that is still missing at least 100 parts.

What's the best way to go about purchasing the parts for this fine model, and others such as Raskolnikov's ISD Aggressor?  I'd love to do this but can't go spending $2-3K per model........

The 1000 € are the cost of the background (printing)! The cost of the fleet I have ceased to count!

Just now, bricksmarlin said:

The 1000 € are the cost of the background (printing)! The cost of the fleet I have ceased to count!

Yikes!

I'm just interested in building the Nebulon for starters, but using rebrickable "Buy Parts" function yields purchase options of much more than $1000 and for only about 80% of the parts.....

43 minutes ago, saxman717 said:

Yikes!

I'm just interested in building the Nebulon for starters, but using rebrickable "Buy Parts" function yields purchase options of much more than $1000 and for only about 80% of the parts.....

To be honest, I do not think it will be much cheaper! I also paid more than 1000 € when I built the Nebulon! And the 10cent per part rule fits very rarely with this type of model! Is my experience! Example! "Cavegods AT-AT" in 2016 (Price / Germany) 6.500 parts - about 2k € if all parts were in the right color and new! "Mortesv Nebulon B" in 2016 (Price / Germany) 6.000 parts - I think at least 1000 € if everything was new and in the right color! Some colors like "sandblue" are sometimes relatively expensive! The 12,000 parts for about 1000 € in the "Aggressor" thread, which is a little luck I believe! I had 3,500 parts from my remaining stock! But these were all liftarms, tiles and stuff like that! So parts that are definitely over the 10cent per part lie! But this does not apply to everything! Many of the other parts I can buy for under 10cent here! So in this case, it's little bit of luck I think!

Is the best way to acquire parts by using the rebrickable "Buy Parts" option?  Would a better way be to export the parts list to a .csv excel file and then import that into bricklink & brickowl? 

This will be my first major lego custom build and I'm at a loss as to how to acquire all of the parts for it (and keep track of my progress acquiring the parts) while not spending a fortune.

Any and all tips on how to best acquire the parts for this will be greatly appreciated!!!  I would also be interested in any offers for sale of the full kit for this model, if anyone is interested in parting with theirs.....

@saxman717 - You might find some of the first post of this thread helpful (link) :classic:

If you've got the time, it will definitely be worth checking the prices on LEGO's pick a brick and replacement websites.

Generally, LEGO is often far more expensive for smaller parts (e.g. greebling, technic pins, small plates, bricks etc) but they're frequently cheaper for large plates and Technic beams etc and they have a set price for postage which can be useful if you're ordering large quantities.  I'd also recommend choosing smaller - mid-sized Bricklink stores as they'll be generally more competitive than stores with massive inventories.  Also, buy within your country wherever possible as postage costs (plus import taxes etc) can quickly spiral upwards! 

Using a 'Wanted' list is also a great way of searching for potential suppliers, but I'd run a spreadsheet in parallel, especially if you need to make numerous orders.  And, if some parts are expensive or rare, look for alternatives; for example a 1x2 plate with stud (3794) has a newer version (15573) but at a fraction of the cost - especially in certain colours.

Just now, Lobot said:

Generally, LEGO is often far more expensive for smaller parts (e.g. greebling, technic pins, small plates, bricks etc) but they're frequently cheaper for large plates and Technic beams etc and they have a set price for postage which can be useful if you're ordering large quantities.  I'd also recommend choosing smaller - mid-sized Bricklink stores as they'll be generally more competitive than stores with massive inventories.  Also, buy within your country wherever possible as postage costs (plus import taxes etc) can quickly spiral upwards!

100% agreement!

4 hours ago, saxman717 said:

Thanks very much for the tips, Lobot and BricksMarlin!  This will be quite a journey, with a fantastic destination

You're welcome :wink:

Got my ships back from @ecmo47 and did quick repairs. The full fleet has not been seen together for a while, so here it is:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ekae/Star-Wars-Ships/my-fleet/dsc01085.jpeg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ekae/Star-Wars-Ships/my-fleet/dsc01088.jpeg

dsc01090.jpg

Working on getting some wider tables and hoping to do a base similar to @bricksmarlin's, I love how it looks. Then I'll have more desperately needed fleet space! :grin:

7 minutes ago, Davenocheese said:

Is there any kind soul here that has an .lxf for each of the fighters in the fleet? I'd very much appreciate them, thanks. 

@Davenocheesemost of the scaled fighters, etc should be in the Nebulon zip file, named "scaled fighters" or something. It should include the A, B, X, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters, Imperial Shuttle too. 

3 minutes ago, Azrielsc said:

@Davenocheesemost of the scaled fighters, etc should be in the Nebulon zip file, named "scaled fighters" or something. It should include the A, B, X, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters, Imperial Shuttle too. 

Thanks Sam, I haven't bought the instructions yet, I'm still sorting my spare parts to see how costly the whole thing will be. 

On 15.8.2017 at 7:41 PM, EKae said:

Working on getting some wider tables and hoping to do a base similar to @bricksmarlin's, I love how it looks. Then I'll have more desperately needed fleet space! :grin:

Sounds good to me! More space is always good! And thanks for the kind words!
By the way, you need a few more fighters to defend the fleet! :wink:

@bricksmarlin I very much agree, I need more Y-wings, X-wings, and maybe some B-wings! I have parts coming to build a few of your U-wings, and I'm also hoping to build another UB-820, so fighters will come next! :)

I just finished a few of brickmarlin's U-wings. They look awesome, great design!

dsc01093.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing, @bricksmarlin! :classic:

4 hours ago, EKae said:

I just finished a few of brickmarlin's U-wings. They look awesome, great design!Thanks so much for sharing, @bricksmarlin! :classic:

With pleasure!
I'm glad you like it!
I'll send you a Pn with a small adaptation (must take pictures)!
By the way, I ended up with white again. I think it looks best!

gallery_8754_6681_48905.jpg

After spending most of Saturday sorting bricks from my own collection, I am now 35% of the way there for the Nebulon-B (and 33% for the GR-75). Still have a few more parts to add, hopefully I'll reach close to 50% before I have to order the remaining parts. 

Call me wrong, but that looks like your design, Mortesv:

Amazonlink

I just reported that guy but as owner of the design, you should intervene here also. I know of severals guys who sell instructions at Ebay but to see such at Amazon is new to me. It's a shame.

The same person did this on eBay, now it looks like they're trying amazon. :angry: