Cjd223

Building Mortesv's Nebulon-B Thread

Love the mods, ecmo!

And also the printed wedge that you used (on top of the sand green pod)! Just like the nose art on WW2 planes or in SW universe, the republic gunships! Haha! :)

Can one of you guys who have finished it measure the distance between the two end stands/supports?  Trying to figure out if my shelf would be long enough to house this masterpiece. 

5 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

Love the mods, ecmo!

And also the printed wedge that you used (on top of the sand green pod)! Just like the nose art on WW2 planes or in SW universe, the republic gunships! Haha! :)

Yeah, I debated about sticking that piece in and that spot is not very obvious. I need to round up it's mate for the other side.

2 hours ago, Schneeds said:

Can one of you guys who have finished it measure the distance between the two end stands/supports?  Trying to figure out if my shelf would be long enough to house this masterpiece. 

29916242482_38fb26711f_c.jpgDSC01691 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Looks to be 44 inches. 

30065214832_96fc95a148_c.jpgDSC01698 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

29884180380_9282593021_c.jpgDSC01696 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Getting closer! Parts arrived while I was out last week. The new stand works out great. The front one is not needed now and neither is the center one (I think).  I just built it today so I do not know if it will sag over time. 

Well I am now on around page 500.........I have to say it's been an emotional roller coaster so far.....moments of enjoyment.....moments of absolute rage when parts fly off everywhere.......what I have found to be successful for the work below the main body is to butt two pillows together and place the model in the 'valley' of the pillows.

i am not looking forward to joining the 2 main sections together......looks painful.........I have also had to use Kraggle on more than one occasion............can't wait to get it up on the stands????

On 8-10-2016 at 2:15 AM, ecmo47 said:

<snip>

DSC01698 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

<snip>

DSC01696 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Getting closer! Parts arrived while I was out last week. The new stand works out great. The front one is not needed now and neither is the center one (I think).  I just built it today so I do not know if it will sag over time. 

ecmo, do you have a pic of the stand before it was attached to the bow of the ship?  I am primarily interested in seeing what clear elements you used.  Looks like some lift arms and...?  Also what are the length of the black tech bricks?  Thanks!

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote pictures

Sandtrooper: The stand is as explained back on page 7. The pictures of the LDD screen grab should explain everything.

Annnnnndddd...I'm pretty much done!!! 

29570039344_b03ed87400_c.jpgDSC01715 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Now that's a fleet ecmo!! Not one, not two, but THREE Transports, great work. Glad to see the Nebulon came together well!

Not sure if I'd use the word "well" but it is together! It is by far the most complicated and challenging project I have ever done. Even though Cavegods AT-AT has some stabilization issues it wasn't difficult to build. I'm still amazed at Mortesv's building and designing skills and am very grateful for your building instructions. As mentioned, I built the AT-AT from LDD and while there were plenty of floating parts, it was possible to power through and figure it out. I'm not sure that would have been possible with this model. As detailed by my many post, I made several changes along the way which improved my model. There is still plenty of tweaking to do and I need to figure out how to transport it with out too much damage. I also need to add some micro-fighter to the scene. I want to take some better pictures too. 

Seems like you managed to complete it within the timeframe that you set, coupled with the modifications of the stand!

The stand does look really stable. I am contemplating whether to incorporate it into my build. :)

I am still at around page 950 due to life making a nuisance of delaying my build!!!! My plan is to complete it before the New Year!!! Haha!

Waiting to see more photos of the entire fleet. :thumbup:

One last mod I felt was helpful. I wanted to be able to make the top panel on the back removable based on others comments. Also, the panel felt very fragile and I didn't think it would survive installation. I was positive it would NOT survive removal as necessary. First thing I did was to cover up all the studs on the frame as shown here:

30164709316_2835c6a4b8_c.jpgDSC01700 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

On the top plate, I pulled up the detail along the two front-to-back plate seams and covered them (the seems) with two 2x16's. This really firms up the entire assemble. I then put the detail back on and rearranged it as necessary. This is what the bottom looks like:

30199012465_c7315d0709_c.jpgDSC01702 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

The top panel was tricky for me as well. What I settled on was just placing the panel in place without pressing down. 

Hey guys, one question...

How do you keep the 2 small wings on each side of the the engines from drooping straight downwards? I can't get them to be angled at a 45 degree angle!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

Hey guys, one question...

How do you keep the 2 small wings on each side of the the engines from drooping straight downwards? I can't get them to be angled at a 45 degree angle!

Thanks!

What I did was just press the pieces holding it together really hard on each other so it was stiff in place, then placed it where it belongs on the Nebulon.

What Cjd said. It's just friction. If they start to droop, push the cones on each vane together (towards the center).

Mine have stayed in position for about a week now.

9 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

What I did was just press the pieces holding it together really hard on each other so it was stiff in place, then placed it where it belongs on the Nebulon.

8 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

What Cjd said. It's just friction. If they start to droop, push the cones on each vane together (towards the center).

Mine have stayed in position for about a week now.

Thanks guys. Did just that and they are staying up at an angle... for the time being. :classic:

NEXT PAGE!

5 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I gotta say, impressive as this ship is, its lack of an interior and flawed proportions on the front section rather throw me.

What do you mean by flawed proportions?

Since this rendition, I have tweaked a few things ever so slightly, but everything is based on the studio model for the films.

47 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I gotta say, impressive as this ship is, its lack of an interior and flawed proportions on the front section rather throw me.

The shape of the Nebulon B doesn't exactly lend itself to an interior.  And from every picture of source material I've looked at, the proportions look to be quite accurate. 

I now have some fighters to protect my fleet! The X-Wing and B-Wing are pretty much the original design but the A-wing and Y-wing were extensively rebuilt.  I wanted a wind-screen on the A-Wing and the Y-Wing bothered me with it's squared off nose. I think that end results is that the ships are probably a tad bigger than they should be but I'm happy how they look and they are pretty sturdy.

30420876356_92db1583ba_c.jpgDSC01739 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30159593840_eea2f6c862_c.jpgDSC01734 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30340592002_ea9cb433a3_c.jpgDSC01728 by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

On 10/10/2016 at 9:40 AM, ecmo47 said:

One last mod I felt was helpful. I wanted to be able to make the top panel on the back removable based on others comments. Also, the panel felt very fragile and I didn't think it would survive installation. I was positive it would NOT survive removal as necessary. First thing I did was to cover up all the studs on the frame as shown here:

On the top plate, I pulled up the detail along the two front-to-back plate seams and covered them (the seems) with two 2x16's. This really firms up the entire assemble. I then put the detail back on and rearranged it as necessary. This is what the bottom looks like:

Hey ecmo!

I finally understood what you meant by the top plate being difficult to fit on!

I forgot about your post about adding those tiles and studs on top of the engine frame before adding in the top panel. It was a nightmare to fit the whole panel in place without toppling the entire ship. *huh* Now I will have to remove the top panel...

Will try your mods over this weekend.

Thanks once again. :classic:

Good looking fighters ecmo :)

Yes, they are a bit too big - especially the X-wing, but they still look fine :)

Is it possible to take pictures of the Y-wing and A-wing more disassembled, so we can see how they are put together?