Cjd223

Building Mortesv's Nebulon-B Thread

This thread will be used to discuss bricklinking and building Mortesv's Nebulon-B Medical Frigate. It can be used to discuss anything/ any type of advice for people who will be attempting this build. The original thread for the bundle for the MOC is available here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135698

Time for me to start things off:

I just finished placing my bricklink orders which totaled $794.00. I decided to go with pieces in "any" condition because in my opinion this ship is supposed to look sort of worn out and this will help to ensure that it is perfectly shiny squeky clean, it's an old ship.

Hopefully my parts come in pretty soon and I can get started with this, currently Mortesv himself is still the only one with this MOC, but let's change that!!

Curious if there is a chance of buying the instructions just for the mini scale Millennium Falcon instead of the entire thing?

I'm making a hanging Lego mobile for the baby's room.

What did you order for the 1/2 barrels on the vanes? 4424 (LBG or grey) or 64951 which needs to be painted?

What did you order for the 1/2 barrels on the vanes? 4424 (LBG or grey) or 64951 which needs to be painted?

I ordered 4424.

Both ways are doable. There is a paint that is pretty close to LBG, but I don't have the can anymore.

Oh my first question!

If I were to change the 1x16 technic bricks (3703) to black or some other colour so as to lower the cost, will they be visible?

Oh my first question!

If I were to change the 1x16 technic bricks (3703) to black or some other colour so as to lower the cost, will they be visible?

Yes, some of them are slightly visible from the outside. Off the top of my head, I do not know how many this is, but there are some on the interior that are not visible in the end.

About half of the 16 technic bricks can be black, maybe more. They are mostly slightly visible on the neck, but you don't really want any black there.

Both ways are doable. There is a paint that is pretty close to LBG, but I don't have the can anymore.

The closest matching paint color to LBG, that I have had previous experience with, is RAL7040 (also known as Window Grey). The brand that I would prefer (also the only one that I could find) is available here, and offers a variety of lacquers from ultra flat to glossy (which the gloss lacquer one has a sheen of about 90 units, which I believe is on par with the Lego elements).

I just finished placing my bricklink orders which totaled $794.00

Are you in the US and was this 100% of the parts for the build OR did you also use some of your own? Thanks!

Edited by karmajay

Are you in the US and was this 100% of the parts for the build OR did you also use some of your own? Thanks!

I am indeed in the U.S and this includes NONE of the parts that I own, this was also all pieces in "used" condition to give my Nebulon a weathered look.

I am indeed in the U.S and this includes NONE of the parts that I own, this was also all pieces in "used" condition to give my Nebulon a weathered look.

On the other end of the spectrum, I ordered 95% new parts (there are some that are just not available new) from North American source, and it was $1100 including shipping.

Edited by phaelon

Is it possible to replace the 2/3 finger hinges (4275 & 4276) with 44301 & 44302? Will definitely lower the cost by a bit.

TIA!

Most of them can be used in other colors. Few of them need to be grey. I have used them because it us the only lego hinges that only take up one plate thickness :)

Is there already an erratum for

76302 Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 10L / 8.0 cm?

Sorry if I missed that, it looks like either the part number should be something else or the description is wrong.

Thanks!

Rebrickable says I have 85% if I just disassemble all my favorite display sets.

/nope gif

That's going to be a tough decision!

Most of them can be used in other colors. Few of them need to be grey. I have used them because it us the only lego hinges that only take up one plate thickness :)

Much thanks Mortesv!

Is there already an erratum for

76302 Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 10L / 8.0 cm?

Sorry if I missed that, it looks like either the part number should be something else or the description is wrong.

Thanks!

I'm about to send an update list to Cjd to accommodate for all the discrepancies. In the case of 76302, you want 75c10.

Here is the list I sent to Cjd...

Part Number	Part Name								Part Color		Quantity	Corrected Part	Corrected Color
4865b		Panel 1 x 2 x 1 with Rounded Corners					Dark Red		1		4865	
30603		Brick, Modified 2 x 2 No Studs, Sloped with 3 Side Pistons Raised	Light Bluish Gray	4		47457	
76302		Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 10L / 8.0cm						Light Bluish Gray	3		75c10	
2653		Brick, Modified 1 x 4 with Groove					Dark Bluish Gray	1				Dark Gray
32063		Technic, Liftarm 1 x 6 Thin						Dark Bluish Gray	4				Dark Gray
2639		Plate 4 x 4 Corner							Light Bluish Gray	1				Light Gray
3838		Minifig, Airtanks							Light Bluish Gray	1				Light Gray
4315		Hinge Vehicle Roof Holder 1 x 4						Light Bluish Gray	3				Light Gray
3614b		Plate, Round 1 x 1 with Towball with Hexagon Shaped Hole (Maxifig Hand)	Light Bluish Gray	1				Light Gray
91049		Minfig Utensil Barbell Weight						Light Bluish Gray	1				Metallic Silver
41531		Cylinder 4 x 4 x 1 2/3 with Pin Holes and Center Bar			Dark Bluish Gray	3				Pearl Dark Gray
98138		Tile, Round 1 x 1							Dark Bluish Gray	1				Pearl Dark Gray
49668		Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Tooth Horizontal				Light Bluish Gray	16				Pearl Light Gray

Can (2817) dark bley plate be subbed for black?

It is very hard to find in quantity.

I can basically by any color - mine are in lbg

Can (2817) dark bley plate be subbed for black?

It is very hard to find in quantity.

I made all of mine light bley, because that is very common.

Note to self: to learn how to work with Bricklink, it is not a good idea to start with a model consisting of that many different parts ;).

Anyway, for the Europeans: have ordered about 80% of the parts now in shops around here (including what I believe to be all of the rare/more expensive ones), so far paid 800 Euro including shipping (could probably have saved 50 Euro or so by being more experienced with Bricklink). So barring surprises, total will be sub 1000 Euro (but not by much).

Now have to wait for all orders to arrive to see which parts I'm still missing, as when I tried to apply the last order to my wishlist everything exploded for some reason.

Btw thanks phaelon for the list with changes, was very helpful.

Now have to wait for all orders to arrive to see which parts I'm still missing, as when I tried to apply the last order to my wishlist everything exploded for some reason.

Yeah, trying to BL this much from one wishlist is very tedious. But it's much easier than it was 6 months ago when I did Anio's Venator.

Btw thanks phaelon for the list with changes, was very helpful.

You're very welcome. :classic:

Edited by phaelon