Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Above the clouds - the great merchant's lift of Sultan's Gate

So this is an old moc... a really old moc! I started building it originally for the Sultan's Gate community build in mid-2014, but then got sidetracked onto other things and ended up missing the comp deadline altogether. Eventually i returned to it and finished it in Jan 2015. I always meant to post it in GoH once i had finished, but a demanding work schedule meant that this plan ended slipping through the cracks - whoops. Finally this year i find myself with more time and got around to making a new build to return to the guilds with (more on that later), and realised to my embarassment that this one never got posted! So this clearing the decks to some extent. :wink::blush:

So anyway, this is the description i wrote up for my version of Sultan's Gate's merchant's entrance:

Often trade entrances into cities in Historica are modest affairs... not so however in Sultan's Gate! The cities strategic location has seen flourishing trade down the centuries, which has made some merchants very rich indeed. This allowed the powerful merchant's guild to commission the lift many years before, completed in the grand style to advertise the wealth and power of the city. Goods that are perishable or particularly valuable are often sent by lift to avoid the treacherous climb up the escarpment. The lift is very safe with only a few losses, mainly from overbearing merchants ordering it's use on high wind days. (A local legend has it that a giant roc once bit through the lift chain and made off with the entire box, but this has never been substantiated.) A ride in the lift to the ground and back again is a rite of passage for many of the young thrillseekers in the city, who often try to stow away or bribe the guards for the experience.

16200862073_85fa7a1860_c.jpgAbove the clouds - the great merchant's lift of Sultan's Gate by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

16642910339_ca7ffc4588_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 4 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

One of the things i was keen to try out with this build was a style of angled rockwork that was pioneered by Torgar. It was perfect for creating narrow sloping ledges on the cliff face. The long cloud base was an afterthought as i had committed to exhibiting this at Brickvention (a Lego show in Melbourne, Australia), and had to soak up some more table space. I think the asymmetric composition really helped it in the end and it was great to be able to crack out one of my great eagles in a moc for the first time! :thumbup:

16633224718_99c178dd4c_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 1 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

16634667809_f983aa57f2_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 2 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

16819695291_d4902eeb6c_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 3 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

I was really inspired by images of the Manitou cliff dwellings while i was building, so i wanted to have different levels cut into the cliff, where people would be living etc. I incorporated lights into the interiors where i could as well.

16829039985_404bb8b339_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 6 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

16827962181_ceabd0a8cd_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 5 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr

16621730247_63c5132b21_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Merchant's lift 8 (back with lights) by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

16206696924_c5cbd9a0b5_c.jpgAbovetheclouds - Midnight Tower by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

The lift itself is actually remote controlled using PF, which was a first for me. It took a little trial and error to get it to run straight, but was a lot of fun to build and operate,especially at Brickvention. I would stand away from the table and activate it wherever kids came up to touch the lift - seeing them trying to figure out how it was moving was quite amusing! :laugh:

16833554665_4424d19927_c.jpgIMG_0496 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

Anyway, thanks for checking out my (very late) build... c&c very welcome! :classic:

What a masterpiece.. the tower itself is breathtaking but those clouds (while an afterthought) take the cake... It's just perfect!

Gabe! Welcome back! What a fantastic build!

I placed your sigfig in my Brickworld layout this year, reminiscing about your builds, and then you magically post! Coincidence?

This is such a wonderful build it hurts me to make this observation, but Sultan's Gate isn't at a high enough elevation for clouds to form naturally. I could see this as a magical cloud bank, though. And that gryphon looks like it could have come from that east coast outpost Gideon made quite some time ago.

This is superb, everything about it is class. I like the lions/tiger head for where the lift rises to. The cloud could be fog instead. lving the lights as well, where did you get them from. I could use some in my multi section moc im making. Please build more for the guilds again. Also I think this could go on the poster as its so original.

Ah.. so that's why I couldn't find the topic thread when I wanted to suggest this as one of the best GoH creations of all times, here! :grin:

It's such a fantastic moc! The clouds, the griffon, the rockface, the lion head, a working elevator... It's just incredible!!! :wub::thumbup: :thumbup:

This is so really, really cool! The griffon is great, the building is fantastic, and the lion head is soo amazing :D

Just as amazing as it was when you posted it on Flickr :wub: Stunning use of that rockwork design, and the bits of sand and olive green mixed in are lovely.

Such a beautiful cloud formation as well! And that working elevator sounds like loads of fun :thumbup:

As I have said in various other places, beautiful MOC. I am still surprised it didn't win best in show at BV.

If its still built, you could very easily repurpose the cloud base into most impressive base for a snow scene.

Absolutely amazing built!! I'me stunned!

Your rockwork.. the elevator.. your turret and the lights on the different rooms.. the beautiful flying eagle above the clouds.. and the lion head (it is lion or something else? :tongue: ) that reminds me of the building of thundercats!

All perfect!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Awesome build, Gabe, great to see you here again! :excited: Torgar's rock-work technique is really excellent, and you did a superb job incorporating the dwellings, and with that working lift! My favorite shot, though would be the one from the back - stupendous interiors, great attention to detail, and those lights really put it entirely over the top! :wub_drool:

Oh, and does that handle in the back house the elevator's motor? :wink::grin: Great job again, looking forward to more GoH builds from you!

Wow !

Excellent build ! That's very impressive !

The rock work is astonishing and the clouds are great too !

The motorised elevator is just the icing on the cake !

I like you made an interior too.

Excellent job !

Welcome back! And what a way to make the return! :classic:

My favorite detail in this is how the dwellings are integrated into the cliff, and that goat is also a very nice touch!

Just a beautiful build Gabe! I somehow missed this on Flickr when you posted and was just recently looking through your photos. I figured I must have been inactive and missed it! This is fantastic as usual.

Gabe! Welcome back! What a fantastic build!

I placed your sigfig in my Brickworld layout this year, reminiscing about your builds, and then you magically post! Coincidence?

Thanks so much Rogue Angel... just good old synchronicity at work i guess. So you've made a GoH display for Brickworld? :oh3::moar: That's awesome! I look forward to seeing it posted!

This is such a wonderful build it hurts me to make this observation, but Sultan's Gate isn't at a high enough elevation for clouds to form naturally. I could see this as a magical cloud bank, though. And that gryphon looks like it could have come from that east coast outpost Gideon made quite some time ago.

Thanks Gedren! Yeah i'm not the best at maintaining believable continuity, sadly... often if something looks good, that's good enough for me! :laugh: Maybe the clouds could be some kind of magical defence, or due to unusual weather patterns etc?

This is superb, everything about it is class. I like the lions/tiger head for where the lift rises to. The cloud could be fog instead. lving the lights as well, where did you get them from. I could use some in my multi section moc im making. Please build more for the guilds again. Also I think this could go on the poster as its so original.

Thanks Cablefoxley! The lights are from Lifelites, i just used Modulites in the room ceilings, connected together with jumper cables. I know Gideon has used Lifelites quite a bit in his mocs as well, with some cool flickering effects for candlelight etc. :thumbup:

Just as amazing as it was when you posted it on Flickr :wub: Stunning use of that rockwork design, and the bits of sand and olive green mixed in are lovely.

Such a beautiful cloud formation as well! And that working elevator sounds like loads of fun :thumbup:

Thanks soccerkid! Yeah i really like olive green and sand green together i must say, sometimes close colour combinations can work really well. :classic:

As I have said in various other places, beautiful MOC. I am still surprised it didn't win best in show at BV.

If its still built, you could very easily repurpose the cloud base into most impressive base for a snow scene.

Thanks Brickcurve! Yeah BV 2015 was a funny year... i still think Nick Runia was robbed, personally, i loved his opposing towers . :look: The cloud was made with quite a few borrowed parts btw, so i no longer have that, sadly!

Awesome build, Gabe, great to see you here again! :excited: Torgar's rock-work technique is really excellent, and you did a superb job incorporating the dwellings, and with that working lift! My favorite shot, though would be the one from the back - stupendous interiors, great attention to detail, and those lights really put it entirely over the top! :wub_drool:

Oh, and does that handle in the back house the elevator's motor? :wink::grin: Great job again, looking forward to more GoH builds from you!

Thanks Garmadon, it's certainly good to be back! Hopefully i can contribute some more builds now i have more time. The opening panel in the back is for the light switch btw. There was also a removable panel on the back of the lions head so i could get at the motor and battery box.

Welcome back! And what a way to make the return! :classic:

My favorite detail in this is how the dwellings are integrated into the cliff, and that goat is also a very nice touch!

Aw thanks Gideon, i was very much inspired by your Sultan's Gate build, and kept in in mind quite a bit as i was building the walls. My partner must take the credit for the goat as it was her suggestion too! :classic:

Thankyou so much for your kind words Titus, Isundir, Hobbythom, Capt Braunsfeld, Exetrius, Dathil, Mpyromaxos and Faladrin! I'm glad you have enjoyed my build. :classic:

Just a beautiful build Gabe! I somehow missed this on Flickr when you posted and was just recently looking through your photos. I figured I must have been inactive and missed it! This is fantastic as usual.

Thanks Kayne! Yeah i had a bit of an inactive period too last year - i'm sure i missed a lot of awesome mocs on my following list. It's great to be back and into it again for sure! :thumbup:

One of the most creative and most stunning MOCs I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Just amazing.

Thankyou so much for your kind words Titus, Isundir, Hobbythom, Capt Braunsfeld, Exetrius, Dathil, Mpyromaxos and Faladrin! I'm glad you have enjoyed my build. :classic:

I keep coming back here and on Flickr, I just can't stop looking at it :laugh:

*oh2*:wub_drool: Astonishing work here, Gabe! I love the sheer height of the build, with the massive cliff and tower soaring on top. The dwellings integrated into the cliff are wonderful as well, and help break up the rockwork :thumbup: Simply an amazing build, that I'll definitely be coming back to for inspiration in the future :classic:

Thanks so much Pvt13, Elostirion and LittleJohn! :classic:

All of this is awesome but I think my favorite part might just be how the white bricks make it look as though their is a fierce, windy snowstorm occurring (albeit, it isn't reflected anywhere else, and is actually clouds lol) that the griffin must fly against.

Edited by Pedilego

I remember seeing this build when I first joined GOH..then I found it on flicker. The architecture is stunning true enough..but the way you designed the build to really give that "above the cloud perspective" with the whites, pinks and blues is what impresses me the most.