Which Pirate ship is the best?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pirate ship is the best?

• 6265 Black Seas Barracuda (10040)
    • 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner
    • 6289 Red Beard Runner (6290)
    • 6268 Renegade Runner
    • 6250 Cross Bone Clipper

True, but one would imagine bigger ship being more comfortable. BTW, I'll soon show you my modified Renegade Runner where they can hide themselves or their cargo or whatever from the rain :)

I've noticed [at time of writing] nobody has voted for the Renegade Runner yet. I thought that looked to be a nifty little craft.

It has 4 cannons, they're "rotatable". On the picture you see all 4 pointing to one side. See instruction pages

Thanks for the information. . . :$ :P

My first Red Beard Runner will be arriving soon, and I of course will make some major modifications to it (elongating the hull included). Not being able to afford two ships I had to choose between this one and 4+ ship (7075), both of which I don't own yet. I think I made the right decision..

My first Red Beard Runner will be arriving soon, and I of course will make some major modifications to it (elongating the hull included). Not being able to afford two ships I had to choose between this one and 4+ ship (7075), both of which I don't own yet. I think I made the right decision..

Yes! You did!

My friend owns a Red Beard Runner and despite the skull design on the back which makes it very unrealistic(I don't really care TOO much about realism with pirate lego anyway) and even harder to convert, it is still very cool.

It also comes with alot of those cool Spanish pirates, which I like more than the older ones.

And also, on Monday I got myself a used(but in pretty good shape) Black Seas Barracuda for free (almost). I chose to get myself a few Imperial Soldiers instead of the Pirates though, because I am converting to a Imperial Galleon anyway(not doing too much work... as most of my lego is away at the moment).

I had to order a few pieces on Bricklink, totalling about $10.00(including shipping).

So I got a Black Seas Barracuda for $10.00!

Sweet!

OHHhhh, and as for my favorite ship.

I used to think the Skulls Eye Schooner, but I really do like the Black Seas Barracuda and I wished I had voted for it instead... Oh well... both kick megablocks.

And the Renegade Runner was my FIRST Pirate Ship and it is VERY cool. You can add a small deck in it so you can have 2 rotating cannons!

I have converted mine to an awesome "Demolitions Ship", which I loaded full of Barrels and Dynamite and hookhand, pegleg, and eyepatched Pirates. It isn't a suicide ship, rather a quick ship that gets close to Imperial ships and unloads some explosives.

(Very unrealistic, but who cares!)

This reminds me of my first Barracuda (of the 3 I currently have) I got absolutely free. I once talked to a friend of mine and he said he had a BSB but was no longer into Lego. I said I'd buy it from him and he said "No way, I'm giving it to you!". He assembled it and gave to me and said assembling it again after quite a long time had been a great fun. But that didn't end his dark age AFAIK :) Anyway, you can imagine how happy and grateful I was. Later I invited him and bought some beers as the sign of gratitude, which we both drank. :)

This reminds me of my first Barracuda (of the 3 I currently have) I got absolutely free. I once talked to a friend of mine and he said he had a BSB but was no longer into Lego. I said I'd buy it from him and he said "No way, I'm giving it to you!". He assembled it and gave to me and said assembling it again after quite a long time had been a great fun. But that didn't end his dark age AFAIK :) Anyway, you can imagine how happy and grateful I was. Later I invited him and bought some beers as the sign of gratitude, which we both drank. :)

After that generosity I'm surprised you didn't let him drink all the bears...

God Bless,

Nathan

This reminds me of my first Barracuda (of the 3 I currently have) I got absolutely free.

Where'd you get the other two from?

I voted for the Skull's Eye Schooner because it looks the most evil, and Pirates are nasty dudes. But historically accurate, the Black Seas Barracuda is the best one. It looks the most like an Imperial Galleon, which is what Pirates wanted. They'd get as close to a ship that thought the Pirates were friendly, then they'd send up the Jolly Roger and fire a broadside. Can anyone say "Let the looting begin?!". Pirates went for surprise. Crazy buggers.

I voted for the Skull's Eye Schooner because it looks the most evil, and Pirates are nasty dudes. But historically accurate, the Black Seas Barracuda is the best one. It looks the most like an Imperial Galleon, which is what Pirates wanted. They'd get as close to a ship that thought the Pirates were friendly, then they'd send up the Jolly Roger and fire a broadside. Can anyone say "Let the looting begin?!". Pirates went for surprise. Crazy buggers.

Thanks for returning the SES to it's rightful place...

God Bless,

Nathan

Black Seas Barracuda's fans don't hesitate to vote! We must reach our rightful place.

Nobody has voted for the Renegade Runner yet! That was called the Sea Vulture here.

It normally ends up as a very large/beautifully coloured fishing vessel in my world...

God Bless,

Nathan

Do you have pictures to show us? Or are you kiddin?

Actually it was one of the last MOCs that fell under my 'not good enough for pics' ban and I've been regretting it ever since.. oh well next time I'll build a better one!

God Bless,

Nathan

You should always take pictures of everything! Even if its not good enough you can capture its image so you can refer to it in the future and be reminded of not what to do. And it can be amusing to look upon your past failures and think "I sure have improved since then".

(Says The Illustrious Mister Phes who has never taken a picture of a MOC ever before)

As for the Red Beard Runner, I bought it from one guy together with 6296 and paid approximately

Did they come with boxes too? I ask because boxes make sets take up more space and therefore cost more to send.

They didn't arrive yet, I'm expecting them in 2 - 3 days. The ship comes with box, as for the 6296 I'm not sure.

This must be very exciting for you! I have a Red Beard Runner but I haven't built it before. Its the re-release that came out a few years ago. Can you believe those re-releases are 4 years old now? Egad!!!

What exactly are the differences between 6289 and 6290 Red Beard Runners apart from the box? Lugnet says the first one has 691 parts and the re-release has 698. Does it just have more spare parts or accesories such as pistols and sabres or is it something else? And what about the differences between Black Seas Barracudas: 6285 (865 parts) and 10040 (869 parts)? Does anyone know?

Here is some info from a review I found on brickset about the differences:

I never got the original Black Seas Barracuda, so I got the legend. I notice that some things are not made the same as in 1989, though- no solid stud heads, the tube on the crate is made diffenent than from the 'old' tubes and the swords were slightly diffent then, the sails are made different, also no firing cannons.

Still, this is only a partial answer to my question.

What exactly are the differences between 6289 and 6290 Red Beard Runners apart from the box? Lugnet says the first one has 691 parts and the re-release has 698. Does it just have more spare parts or accesories such as pistols and sabres or is it something else? And what about the differences between Black Seas Barracudas: 6285 (865 parts) and 10040 (869 parts)? Does anyone know?

I believe spares did not used to feature in the piece count...

God Bless,

Nathan (who has both BSBs and can't think of any instrucional difference)

You should always take pictures of everything! Even if its not good enough you can capture its image so you can refer to it in the future and be reminded of not what to do. And it can be amusing to look upon your past failures and think "I sure have improved since then".

This is good advice. On a similar line I'm thinking of cleaning out of my Brickshelf folder all the stuff that makes me cringe... Possibly as soon as I build one or two more decent MOCs, otherwise it would be empty...

God Bless,

Nathan

Anyway, there's a draw between BSB and SES again! Go Black Seas Barracuda's fans!