Murdoch17

Dreyfuss Streamlined 4-6-4 Hudson steam loco - LDD MOC

This is my latest project: a 4-6-4 Hudson Dreyfuss inspired stream-liner and it's corresponding train. It was heavily inspired by pictures from Anthony Sava's photo-stream from 2008 and 2007. No instructions were used to build this model.

30170603315_037ee2780c_z.jpg

The railway name on the sides of the tender will read Legoredo Northwestern Railroad. The sides of the engine shall have the number 7444 written on it in official printed 1 x 1 tiles. The engine number comes from the screenshot number that was the first WIP shot that I took and coincidentally is near Mr. Sava's 7244 number on his Hudson - type. Here is a link to his model and the only picture I worked from: https://www.flickr.c...s-55973205@N08/

30170603435_0bcfb71ce5_z.jpg

The rear of the engine has a ladder, two hand rails and a red marker light.

29541625823_886fd690a4_z.jpg

Here is a close up of the nose of the engine.

Fictional engine background:

These fifteen 4-6-4 (4 leading, 6 driving, 4 trailing) streamlined steam locomotives were designed for fast passenger work on the Legoredo Northwestern Railroad. The three best riding locomotives of the batch were shrouded in a streamlined, aerodynamic casing, and were assigned to “the Rocket”. This meant they were usually flying along at top speed from New York City to Seattle, with one train going one way and another going the opposite direction. The third engine was held in reserve in case of breakdowns, ready to go at a moments notice.

Fictional train background:

Here we see the Dreyfuss Hudson pulling a passenger train called "The Rocket", heading from New York City to Seattle via the most northern transcontinental line in the USA. The train is run by the Legoredo Northwestern Railroad and gets it's name from the very fast speed of the train, and for the originator of all modern steam engines, George Stephenson's "Rocket" of 1830. This new train started being run exactly one hundred years after that famous engine began the era of the Iron Horse.

27707238605_1912beec4f_z.jpg

The train consists of one baggage car, three passenger coaches, and one observation car. (these coaches are not in the LDD file)

NOTES & LDD FILE:

NYC_Hudson2.jpg

Here is the original NYC loco I was inspired by. (picture from Wikipedia)

27247652883_1baa5a49fb_z.jpg

I have found over 500+ parts for this train, so this Art Deco loco and ti's consist will be (hopefully) finished by the end of this year.

I also have the LDD file for the engine by itself here ( Hudson locomotive only )

comments, Questions and Complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Have you seen Sava's new Hudson Dreyfuss? he completely redid it and it looks amazing!

Nice planning, thanks for sharing the files

Thanks, and no problem.

Have you seen Sava's new Hudson Dreyfuss? he completely redid it and it looks amazing!

Yep, that engine is awesome!

Looks good, I like colors very much! However... isn't boiler too small?

Thank you, and i don't think the boiler is too small for a 6 wide engine. That's what Lego did with set 79111, from the Lone Ranger theme: http://brickset.com/sets/79111-1/Constitution-Train-Chase and that;s what I've used for most of my trains.

Nice. I like the colors. Really classic and good looking.

Nice. I like the colors. Really classic and good looking.

Thank you. These train car were originally built in 2013, but without an engine to pull them. I eventually needed the wheels for other trains and scrapped the models, only to want to rebuild them a couple months later with this project. Oh well, I still have most of the parts in my bins!

EDIT: typo

Edited by Murdoch17

Slight update for now:

27247492594_dacaa3f158_z.jpg

This is all the rest of the parts (somewhere around 1,000) I have yet to collect / order for my streamlined train. I will be getting the engine separately from the passenger cars this time.

27247652883_1baa5a49fb_z.jpg

These are most of the 500+ parts I have already collected from my bins for my Dreyfuss styled 4-6-4 and it's accompanying passenger train.

The engine should be ordered by the first of July, with the Art Deco passenger train maybe coming in mid-August.

Any Thoughts?

NYC_Hudson2.jpg

Sorry for the bump, but I updated the engine's ldd file and pictures, plus I added this cool picture of the real life counterpart loco.