CopMike

Creator Expert 10252 Volkswagen Beetle

The model looks nice!

I just had a question, are the creator cars (VW Van, Mini Cooper, F40 and Beetle) all the same scale?

Autobild has a short video review up in german:

Can't wait to pick this up!

In the review it looks like it has two lines at the back??

3:04 - not an OCD builder, judging from the breaklight misalignment

:D

The model looks nice!

I just had a question, are the creator cars (VW Van, Mini Cooper, F40 and Beetle) all the same scale?

Sadly, they aren't. Because the real cars have different sizes and TLG keeps a price on all (95€, except the van) the scale is adjusted on every new release.

Sadly, they aren't. Because the real cars have different sizes and TLG keeps a price on all (95€, except the van) the scale is adjusted on every new release.

That's a shame.

Does anyone have a comparison picture of all the vehicles?

I´ve compared the length of the Lego models with the lengths of the original cars.

The original length of VW Type 2 (T1) is 4290 mm, the Lego VW T1 Camper is 300mm long.

Scale: about 1/14

The original length of VW Type 1 (Beetle) is 4070 mm, the Lego VW Beetle is 290mm long.

The original length of a Mini Cooper is 3401 mm, the Lego Mini Cooper is 250mm long.

The original length of Ferrari F40 is 4358 mm, the Lego Ferrari F40 is 270mm long.

Scale: about 1/16

So the Ferrari is a little bit bigger than the other cars, but Mini, T1 and Beetle are the same scale.

P.S.: To complete the comparison:

The original length of Porsche 911 GT3 (2015 Model) is 4545 mm, the Lego Porsche 911 GT3 RS is 570mm long.

Scale: about 1/8

Edited by Mellow

I´ve compared the length of the Lego models with the lengths of the original cars.

The original length of VW Type 1 (Beetle) is 4070 mm, the Lego VW Beetle is 290mm long.

The original length of a Mini Cooper is 3401 mm, the Lego Mini Cooper is 250mm long.

So the Ferrari is a little bit bigger than the other cars, but Mini, T1 and Beetle are the same scale.

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO SAME SCALE

15162231881_f198f580c7_b.jpg

(Not my photo, found on google/flickr)

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

You can check it again, the length measurements from Lego compared to the original lengths (for exaple from Wikipedia) result in all three cases at nearly 1/14.

On that photo the Mini Cooper really looks much wider than the T1 Camper, but in fact both models are rearly the same width (the Cooper is just a little bit wider due to the wheelhouses).

I´ll check the other measurements (width, height) later to see which cars were not to scale at all...

As I promised, here are now the comparative measurements of Lego models vs. original cars.

The measurements of the originals I´ve took from Wikipedia, the Lego models I measured myself (except the Beetle, of course).

All measurements without attachments like mirrors or other accessory.

VW Type 2 (T1)_____Lego VW T1 Camper_____Scale

Length: 4290mm_____Length: 285mm_________1:15,05 --> 1:15

Width: 1800mm_____Width: 115mm_________1:15,65 --> 1:16

Height: 1940mm_____Height: 130mm_________1:14,92 --> 1:15

VW Type 1 (Beetle) Lego VW Beetle________Scale

Length: 4140mm_____Length: 290mm *_______1:14,27 --> 1:14

Width: 1585mm_____Width: 120mm *_______1:13,21 --> 1:13

Height: 1500mm_____Height: No measurement without luggage rack known

___________________* measurement by Lego

Mini Cooper________Lego Mini Cooper______Scale

Length: 3054mm_____Length: 240mm_________1:12,72 --> 1:13

Width: 1410mm_____Width: 130mm_________1:15,65 --> 1:11

Height: 1384mm_____Height: 110mm_________1:12,58 --> 1:13

Ferrari F40________Lego Ferrari F40______Scale

Length: 4358mm_____Length: 273mm_________1:15,96 --> 1:16

Width: 1970mm_____Width: 128mm_________1:15,39 --> 1:15

Height: 1124mm_____Height: 81mm_________1:13,87 --> 1:14

Yesterday I´ve took the length of a Mini Clubman by mistake, that builds a little bit longer than the Mini Cooper.

That´s why I got a smaller scale that matched to the scale of the T1 Camper.

In fact, The Lego Mini Cooper is really bigger than the T1 Camper.

Sorry for that mistake.

Also, today I did not took the measurements that Lego named for the T1 in their description, instead I measured it myself and got some little different measurements.

So the scale reduced a little bit from 1:14 to 1:15

Edited by Mellow

How is this possible to get the set this early on?

Lego sends out models early to select people/sites(like this one) so they can do reviews.

Lego sends out models early to select people/sites(like this one) so they can do reviews.

Oh of course :laugh:

Edited by J4ck

Not to mention it's not that early Goes on sale as the VIP exclusive this Thursday.

My mum was going to buy it on Thursday but we're going to wait until 1st august so we can get the London bus as well

Hello,

these are my videos of the VW Käfer. :wink:

Comparison with Volkswagen T1 Campingbus (10220) & Mini Copper (10242) - in German

And the german review video:

I've just ordered it on the UK Lego website. Seems to be available a day early for VIP members!

Yep, ordered mine today too. Even though it bothered me quite a bit that we're paying € 15 more here in the Netherlands than our friendly neighbours to the East. Sorry Lego, but that just does not feel right.

Yep, ordered mine today too. Even though it bothered me quite a bit that we're paying € 15 more here in the Netherlands than our friendly neighbours to the East. Sorry Lego, but that just does not feel right.

I dont buy lego at full price anymore, in my country they charge more than in Germany but income are smaller than in Germany.Also lego convert system in my country is crazy, doesnt reflect real euro conversion.

Well i paid less for diecast from USA than this lego set made in Czech Republic...

Usually I don't pay full price either, enough opportunities to get most sets for less. But in recent times more often than not these special sets don't come at a lower price, or ar even more expensive at non-lego stores. Plus I wanted this set asap, so, well, there you go.

Thank you Mellow for that scale comparison!

And those three vehicles look so nice together! :wub: