CopMike

Creator Expert 10252 Volkswagen Beetle

Am I the only one who thinks that the wheels are too big? Can someone test how it looks with the Surfer Van wheels? (Might have to shorten the wheel arches to make it look good)

But I believe it would look more in scale with the previously released Surfer Van.

The tires do look too wide for OEM tires. They look like upsized tires that a Vdub owner would MOD his ride. I plan to MOD set with the same tires as the spare tire and the ones on the VW T1 Camper.

Did some researching looks like this is based off the 4th Generation Bug. 1965-1967.

3rd Generation '58-'64, had all red tails, and different style bumpers

5th Generation '68-'70 was when they moved the gas filler to the outside of the car, plus another bumper style change.

I looked, because I was thinking for some reason the rear orange turn signals didn't appear until the 70's. But was wrong on that. '65 was the first year for them.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Am I the only one who thinks that the wheels are too big? Can someone test how it looks with the Surfer Van wheels? (Might have to shorten the wheel arches to make it look good)

But I believe it would look more in scale with the previously released Surfer Van.

Agreed about switching wheels/tires to match the Camper will help with the scale. But maybe instead of shortening the wheel arches, just raise the wheels up by a few plates, essentially lowering the entire car. It will be interesting to see if that's possible (of course it's Lego, anything is possible).

So, would a technic figure fit nicely inside? it looks about right.

... Of course a Technic figure Would defeat the whole purpose... but still.

Huge fan of Mike Psiaki since I got the 10248 Ferrari F40. Not that huge fan of how the hood of the beetle looks like. It could be more rounded like it is at the boot in the back but if this is half as fun to build as the F40 and the 31039 Blue Power Jet it is a must buy for me :thumbup:

edit: Huge plus for the stickers not being mandatory for a great looking build

Edited by LegoCube

Probably the best car in Creator series. Looks much more better than Ferrari. I am gonna put it on the shelf next to the Mini.

Looks great. I may change the wheels to have the same size tires to match my T1 Camper set. Camper tires are the same size as the Bug's spare tire. :classic:

Agreed, these are far to wide, the Camper ones wil look better

Agreed, these are far to wide, the Camper ones wil look better

I don't know about looking that much better. The ones the Beetle uses may be wide, but I imagine they were chosen due to having a far more typical tread for your average road vehicle. The wheels and tires used on the Camper Van (and for the Beetle's spare tire) originated for use on Lego City tractors, and it shows—the tread pattern is much more suited to that kind of off-road agricultural use. As such the side-view profile of the chosen tires looks more accurate, while the width of the wheels only really presents a visual problem from a low-angle front or back view.

Ideally, the set might have used those thinner wheels with a new tire design, but I imagine that there was no room left in the budget for that. Hopefully the range of tires designed for that size of wheel is expanded in the future.

Based on the information in the Lego store, the Beetle is nearly the same scale as the T1 Camper.

In this case the wheels should be really the same size, because both cars were built with the same chassis, frame and wheels.

I also think the wheels were much too wide, the tires of the original had only a width of 165mm (about 6,5").

If I compare the width of the original (1540mm) with the width of the Lego-model (120mm), a 165mm wide wheel (original) must be about 14mm in the model.

That´s nearly perfectly the width of the T1 camper´s wheels.

Also the diameter of the Camper´s wheel rims matched perfectly to the scale of the model, so I don´t unterstand why they use those wheels for the Beetle...

The webshop dates the Beetle as available as of August 1st. Will there be a VIP early access? Hope so.

I don't know about looking that much better. The ones the Beetle uses may be wide, but I imagine they were chosen due to having a far more typical tread for your average road vehicle. The wheels and tires used on the Camper Van (and for the Beetle's spare tire) originated for use on Lego City tractors, and it shows—the tread pattern is much more suited to that kind of off-road agricultural use. As such the side-view profile of the chosen tires looks more accurate, while the width of the wheels only really presents a visual problem from a low-angle front or back view.

How do you know they weren't originated for Technics? There was a Technic farm tractor set using the same tires released the same year those CITY tractors came out. :classic:

How do you know they weren't originated for Technics? There was a Technic farm tractor set using the same tires released the same year those CITY tractors came out. :classic:

I mean, does it matter? My point was that it was originally used primarily for tractor sets, hence the tread design. :tongue:

The T1 wheels are cheap anyways.

The wheels of the T1 Camper were as original as they could be.

Compared to the real T1 Microbus their size (width and diameter) matched nearly perfect to the scale of the model

We´re talking about cars that were built 60 years ago.

In those times cars weren´t delivered with wide rims and tires as today.

The webshop dates the Beetle as available as of August 1st. Will there be a VIP early access? Hope so.

As per The Lego Store employee, It will be the VIP early access for July. (Starts Thursday 14 July)

The wide tyres give the model a custom appearance... Not bad IMHO...

That's what I think. I ordered parts to two-tone the car with white. and also picked up the wheels in the Pearl Gold for it.

Autobild has done an unboxing video like they did with the GT3 RS.

I am quite looking forward to this. It will be a nice addition to the other Creator expert cars :classic:

Here's a question on the California license plate?

Why is it yellow with black lettering when for the era of the Bug should be black with yellow lettering(1963 to 1969) which would be the era of the Bug?

Is California one of those states that don't make you change plates when the style changes? Georgia I know is one. There are about 4 different standard Georgia(non specialty plates on the road today)

According to Lego the Beetle is from the "1960s", that usually means the decade between January 1960 and December 1969.

The yellow plates with black 6-digit numbers were used from 1955 to 1963, so I think the Beetle is from the era between 1960 and 1963.

Optional the Beetle can be equipped with licence plates from Queensland (Australia), Wolfsburg (Germany) or from Britain (no localization on that plates).

Unfortunately it seems there´s not enough space at the back side for a two-lined licence plate, as they were used in Europe at the Beetle´s back until the end of it´s production.

That´s dissappointing... :look:

Howsoever, I need to get some extra T1 wheels for my Beetle, I think they´re matching much better than those wide-base tires.

Here's a question on the California license plate?

Why is it yellow with black lettering when for the era of the Bug should be black with yellow lettering(1963 to 1969) which would be the era of the Bug?

Is California one of those states that don't make you change plates when the style changes? Georgia I know is one. There are about 4 different standard Georgia(non specialty plates on the road today)

I live in California (have for 40+ years). I can confirm that we don't have to change plates when the style changes. Once you're assigned a plate, you can keep that plate as long as you want. You can even transfer the plates to a new car. I have a family member that got their personalized plate during the 84 Olympics (hosted in Los Angeles). The state made a special plate for that year. They still have that plate - they've just transferred that plate from car to car throughout the years.

California just cares that you have a plate, not what style it is. Just the last year, they reintroduced the Yellow lettering on Black plate again. It's been confusing some people to see the "old" plate on brand new cars.

I live in California (have for 40+ years). I can confirm that we don't have to change plates when the style changes. Once you're assigned a plate, you can keep that plate as long as you want. You can even transfer the plates to a new car. I have a family member that got their personalized plate during the 84 Olympics (hosted in Los Angeles). The state made a special plate for that year. They still have that plate - they've just transferred that plate from car to car throughout the years.

California just cares that you have a plate, not what style it is. Just the last year, they reintroduced the Yellow lettering on Black plate again. It's been confusing some people to see the "old" plate on brand new cars.

Thanks for the info. Interesting how things change from state to state. When I lived in Hawaii, the plates belonged to the car. You went an bought a new car, or any car from a dealership it already had plates on it.(unless you happened to get a new one that arrived at the dealership within the week.) Made for a total pain in the megablocks to transfer personal tages from one car to another. Most didn't even bother. Buddy of my bought a car and it had KADY(Kay-Dee) on the license plates. Everyone always asked him who the hell Kady was. He'd just laugh. Then he and his wife had a daughter. As a joke they named her Kady. LOL...

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Autobild has a short video review up in german:

Can't wait to pick this up!

Unfortunately it seems there´s not enough space at the back side for a two-lined licence plate, as they were used in Europe at the Beetle´s back until the end of it´s production.

That´s dissappointing... :look:

In the review it looks like it has two lines at the back??

Edited by tpvelo