CopMike

Creator Expert 10252 Volkswagen Beetle

I've heard this a lot too and I don't get it. The model looks far more like the Beetle than a 2CV - the headlights, hood and trunk shape and detail, windows, roofline, and fenders (not to mention the number of doors) are faithful to the VW and only somewhat similar to the Citröen. If someone built this model without saying what car it was, there would still be no doubt it's a bug.

I can see you point... and I do see the differences between the Beetle and 2CV. To me the windscreen and the angle of the rear just looks more like the 2CV. It is certainly a "must have" - I like the colors, themes, etc. which is why I'm still looking forward to buying this piece.

I'm not seeing it at all... Well they do both have 4 wheels, two round headlights, and same style bumber, but it stops there....

post-133865-0-77613200-1466092784_thumb.jpg

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Wohoo!! Looks great IMO! Now we're only waiting for the Super 7! (I own 1 in real so thats a must buy! ;) any one who knows the release date?)

Will be a day-one purchase for me. My dad is also fond of the model since his first car was a VW Beetle. Brings back memories ;)

Hopefully this LEGO set won't have box issues as the Porsche has (amongst other issues though...)

I'm not seeing it at all... Well they do both have 4 wheels, two round headlights, and same style bumber, but it stops there....

*snip*

Because people have a tendency to compare and critique.

I'm glad they are making large vehicle models like this. I hope they continue releasing other new vehicles as well

Awesome set, great design.

And I like that a bit unusual color choice.

Anyway it is medium blue?

Is the blue beetle photo in the initial post part of the official Lego announcement? If so I particularly like the fact this is a UK Right Hand Drive spec post '58 vehicle, even though they have gone for a LHD config in the build. I presume this is because of the majority of markets the model will be sold in, although if the aim of this is indeed as a "surfer" vehicle then the bumpers are wrong because strictly speaking the US spec ones are different, but hey ho, that's just my classic car mindset looking for differences. Now if this was made into a two tone with an oval rear window....hmm.

I'm glad they are making large vehicle models like this. I hope they continue releasing other new vehicles as well

Yes, it's a great way to satiate those who'd love the old Model Team sets to come back. I do wish there was a way to make them to scale with the technic figures. I love those. In any event, VW and Lego have obviously done well together and this is an easy buying decision. They have a lot of iconic vehicles they could still make if they can secure more licenses. I think it's time for a proper jeep (CJ) or maybe even to align with Jeep's 2018 model year updates. (I'd absolutely love a Willys.....!)

Is the blue beetle photo in the initial post part of the official Lego announcement?

Yes it is!

An LDD Teaser!

You've still got a ways to go. :wink:

27474687670_a75422f1cc_b.jpg

(So do I, but I've gotten about as far as I think I can without having instructions and/or better pics/video of the undercarriage)

Both of you amaze me, but especially you, Lyichir. It would take me probably from now until the actual set release to be able to put that much of it together in LDD, even if I had a hard copy of the real instructions from which to work.

Anyway, it's a very sweet set. I doubt I'll be able to get it, but I'd love to.

Is the curved fender part in LDD yet?

Nope, and based on LEGO's history of LDD updating, it probably won't be in until maybe... late 2017? Early 2018?

Nope, and based on LEGO's history of LDD updating, it probably won't be in until maybe... late 2017? Early 2018?

Early/Mid 2017 like most years usually.

Maybe just me, but I'm not feeling a need for another VW beetle

I think there were other more required sets on the AFOL want list

Maybe just me, but I'm not feeling a need for another VW beetle

I think there were other more required sets on the AFOL want list

Well I must say that the new beetle is more in line with the F40 and the Mini Cooper. Furthermore, I came from the dark ages after the T1 was released and never had the chance to purchase the 'old' beetle for a reasonable price.

Could you by chance give a list of the bricks in this section (mainly the ones hidden in the gap)? A two-tone bug would look great and it would be cool to have the pieces ready ahead of time.

Eo3SlU1.jpg

Could you by chance give a list of the bricks in this section (mainly the ones hidden in the gap)? A two-tone bug would look great and it would be cool to have the pieces ready ahead of time.

I can try. Most of those parts aren't particularly rare, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

• 8 1x2 plates (Design ID 3023)
  • 3 1x3 plates (Design ID 3623)
  • 4 1x1 plates (Design ID 3024)
  • 2 1x4 plates (Design ID 3710
  • 1 1x1 tile (Design ID 3070)
  • 3 1x2 jumper plates (Design ID 15573)
  • 5 1x1 bricks with 1 side stud (Design ID 87087)
  • 2 1x1 bricks with handle (Design ID 2921)
  • 6 1x2 bricks (Design ID 3004)
  • 8 1x3 bricks (Design ID 3622)

All of those parts are repeated on the other side, of course. And it's certainly possible that I've gotten some of those parts or their arrangement wrong, but for the most part, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Again, few of those parts are particularly rare. Also, for what it's worth, the colors that all of these parts seem to be available in are Bright Yellow, Reddish Brown, White, Medium Stone Grey, Dark Stone Grey, Orange, Brick Yellow, Bright Red, and Black.

I can try. Most of those parts aren't particularly rare, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

• 8 1x2 plates (Design ID 3023)
  • 3 1x3 plates (Design ID 3623)
  • 4 1x1 plates (Design ID 3024)
  • 2 1x4 plates (Design ID 3710
  • 1 1x1 tile (Design ID 3070)
  • 3 1x2 jumper plates (Design ID 15573)
  • 5 1x1 bricks with 1 side stud (Design ID 87087)
  • 2 1x1 bricks with handle (Design ID 2921)
  • 6 1x2 bricks (Design ID 3004)
  • 8 1x3 bricks (Design ID 3622)

Thanks. I don't think I've been more excited for a model to be released. I have already ordered the parts to make two tone. and have also order a few different wheel options as well.

Question? It looks like but not very good at this, But are the back windows (side and rear) the same windows has on the T1? Looking to order "tinted" windows as well. I replaced all the side and rear windows on the T1 with "tinted" ones as well. Also looks like maybe either 1x2 or 1x1 transparent bricks as well forward of the side windows.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Thanks. I don't think I've been more excited for a model to be released. I have already ordered the parts to make two tone. and have also order a few different wheel options as well.

Question? It looks like but not very good at this, But are the back windows (side and rear) the same windows has on the T1? Looking to order "tinted" windows as well. I replaced all the side and rear windows on the T1 with "tinted" ones as well. Also looks like maybe either 1x2 or 1x1 transparent bricks as well forward of the side windows.

Yup. The windows of the new VW Beetle are all untinted (regular Transparent, rather than Trans. Brown). Specifically, it uses four 1x4x3 panels (Design ID 87543, as used in the Camper Van), six 1x1 bricks (Design ID 30071), and a 2x10x3 windscreen (Design ID 24607).

Do keep in mind that the last of those is in fact new to the Beetle and as such does not exist in Trans. Brown yet. You could conceivably use the Trans. Brown 3x10x3 windscreen used for the Mini Cooper (Design ID 2694) as a substitute, though the doors would have to be modified slightly to allow for the added length of the windscreen (Namely, replacing the Medium Stone Grey 1x1 tiles on each side with 1x2 tiles, replacing one of the Dark Azur 1x2 cheese slopes from each side with 1x1 cheese slopes, and replacing the Medium Stone Grey 1x6 plate on each side with any combination of plates adding up to 1x5).

Edited by Lyichir

Yup. The windows of the new VW Beetle are all untinted (regular Transparent, rather than Trans. Brown). Specifically, it uses four 1x4x3 panels (Design ID 87543, as used in the Camper Van), six 1x1 bricks (Design ID 30071), and a 2x10x3 windscreen (Design ID 24607).

Do keep in mind that the last of those is in fact new to the Beetle and as such does not exist in Trans. Brown yet. You could conceivably use the Trans. Brown 3x10x3 windscreen used for the Mini Cooper (Design ID 2694) as a substitute, though the doors would have to be modified slightly to allow for the added length of the windscreen (Namely, replacing the Medium Stone Grey 1x1 tiles on each side with 1x2 tiles, replacing one of the Dark Azur 1x2 cheese slopes from each side with 1x1 cheese slopes, and replacing the Medium Stone Grey 1x6 plate on each side with any combination of plates adding up to 1x5).

Cool. Thanks for the info...