Mestari

[MOC] Modular Jewellery Store

This is my fourth modular building and first one that really got me angry at LEGO. I'll explain that at this end of my post. This is a Jewellery Store at the ground floor, followed by an apartment on first and second floors.

sDSC08750.jpg

What I wanted to achieve with this build was to have a living space that was complete. Eventually I missed the bathroom having only toilet there. What I did crammed in there is the living room, kitchen and toilet on the first floor and two bedrooms on the second floor (the little boy has blankets made of reindeer skin ;) ). There is also a storing room on the ground floor and a swing for the boy (where he left his teddy bear). I have also made a little area surrounded by foliage overgrown stone wall.

The entry to the apartment is through the gate and at the side of the building.

So, let's have a look at all of the modules together:

sDSC08763.jpg

First let's have a closer look at the ground floor:

sDSC08765.jpg

and a view from the back:

sDSC08766.jpg

and a front with LOVELY dark green bricks. Each in different version of what was supposed to be the same colour:

sDSC08783.jpg

Now for the first floor with living room, kitchen and toilet:

sDSC08773.jpg

sDSC08768.jpg

sDSC08769.jpg

and the last floor:

sDSC08770.jpg

sDSC08771.jpg

Here is another view of the building:

sDSC08781.JPG

and now I'll tell you what made me angry (apart from those dark greens, that is).

First, it was also DBGs and bright pink that were all over the place with colour accuracy. Have a look at that:

bright%20pink.jpg

Then, much more serious trouble. This is what happened when I tried to build with 1x2 bricks:

1x2%20warp%20baseplate%202.jpg

1x2%20warp%20baseplate.jpg

Nice, isn't it? It was even worse if you kept on building like that so I had to disassemble everything and start again, but this time I had to use 1x4 bricks as much as I could to avoid warping the baseplate and rising the whole building. Pathetic.

But it's not all. Later came 1x2 plates. This is what those do:

1x2%20plates%20warp.jpg

Same thing, but here I need only one layer of them and was albo counter fight this effect with 1x4 bricks on top.

Lastly, cheese slopes. I have 2x6 of them on the front. You guessed it right. On the left side 4 out of 6 cracked. Because. I was rather displeased, to say the least as those are all new bricks and I have more similar stories to tell lately so I contacted LEGO service via e-mail. They politely told me to sod off. Only after me calling them I was able to get replacement for broken and cracked pieces. Shame on you LEGO... :/

PS.

Full gallery for this modular is here: http://bricksafe.com...jewellery-store

Nice build, but i may be able to help you on your problems. Are your 1x2 plates new or old? I've found that older plates have a tendency to warp the rest of the build. As for the base plate, I've never experienced warping there.

I think your problem is that you have some non Lego pieces mixed in there. You notice that some of the pink bricks don't have the Lego logo on top of the studs? The look like mega blocks or some other inferior brick.

Those are all brand new and original LEGO pieces with proper logo on them too. Bright pinks come mostly from LEGO PAB walls and the Simpsons house set.

The most offending dark green came directly from LEGO via BOP program.

Actually I have much less problems with old bricks than new.

Nice building. The shape and details are really well done. I am not sure if I like the colour combination of dark green with bright pink though.That's a bit too much contrast. But other than that. Nice job!

Don't most of the "official" Lego modulars lay down a layer of plates on top of the baseplate rather than putting bricks directly on it? I imagine that helps prevent warping.

Wonderful modular in and out! While bright pink wouldn't have been my choice either, it works surprisingly well here.

Great attention to detail, and a great eye for small details and little scenes! Love the small garden area with the overgrown wall & swingset. On the inside my favorite details are the display cases in the store, and how you managed to cram in two entire bedrooms on the top floor.

Maybe you could've moved the bathroom under the stairs to fit it all in?

I experienced plate/baseplate warping aswell, but always found that the effect subsided once a substantial weight of bricks pressed down on them. So I guess you propably could've kept on building with 1x2s.

Color consistency is a different story, though. It's a shame they apparently can't manage to keep the same hue over multiple batches of different bricks.

Edited by RogerSmith

Awesome build with interesting colour combinations! While I like the interior of the jewelery store with the glass counter (very well done) I do feel the room as a whole is a bit square. Perhaps adding a employees area with a safe of some sort would be a good addition?

Awesome build with interesting colour combinations! While I like the interior of the jewelery store with the glass counter (very well done) I do feel the room as a whole is a bit square. Perhaps adding a employees area with a safe of some sort would be a good addition?

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I usually don't frequent such stores ;)

Nicely done. The build looks great. I wouldn't choose pink either, but we need more Pink in our modular street, so I'll accept it.

The interior is splendid. A lot of details crammed in there.

I've had many issues with LEGO color consistency AND cheese slopes/arches cracking. They have also told me there is nothing they can do about it. Maybe one day they will figure it out (but not anytime soon since they are making too much money, no reason to change).

Do you have all of your buildings still built? It'd be neat to see a street with them. Our LUG shows went to MOC only, so modulars are only MOC, no officials. I need to start working on more MOCs of them. I like tweaking officials into something else.

Do you have all of your buildings still built? It'd be neat to see a street with them.

Unfortunately I can't afford that, but I do have this one and the Garage with pneumatics built at the sam time. I have also a train station to finish and a palm house (or whatever it is called in English) on the way for my LUG exibition. So there will be some custom modulars there. I'm coordinating the efforts for modular city and will post some pictures after the exibition on EB. If anyone of you want to see those modulars live, this will be in Łódź, 2-3 July, Poland.